PDA

View Full Version : Chores for little ones?

Melaine
02-19-2009, 11:11 AM
We have the Eureka Quick-up, which I highly recommend, by the way. I just realized that it is the perfect size for the girls to use! they LOVE it and it is semi-productive! woooo hooo!
The girls love to help me unload the dishwasher and put the clothes in the dryer. The also have little brooms that are more toylike and actually make the floor more dirty. Sometimes they carry folded clothes to the appropriate drawers. Any other ideas for chores toddlers can do?

KrisM
02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
How old?

My kids bring the wastebaskets from the bathrooms down to the kitchen the night before garbage pickup. DS1 then puts in a new bag and they take them back up.

They wash the bottom half of some windows. Club sods in a spray bottle and a rag. They do okay with it. They really enjoy it though.

A scrubby sponge in the bathtub and they clean the tub a bit while they bathe :). Usually, I just get them to clean the crayon of the tub walls, and wipe off the handles and faucets. Again, they enjoy it.

brittone2
02-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Some of our most used "toys" are a child-sized broom, rake, shovel, small radio flyer wheelbarrow (or wagon), swiffer w/ a section of handle removed to make it small in size, etc.

For inspiration I often look at Montessori catalogs. DS used to like to "crumb" the table (use a little brush like a paintbrush and a dustpan or a little tupperware container big enough to brush the crumbs into). A little $1 spray bottle and some microfiber towels work well for cleaning windows (use club soda) or just fill the bottle w/ water and let them spritz down floors or whatever surfaces (countertops, etc.).

DD is starting to take over sorting silverware (DS used to do this for me). Make a spot for little spoons, big spoons and forks (mommy takes out the knives first ;) ) and let them divide them up.

Folding washcloths, matching socks, etc. are chores my kids have sometimes done to help too.

hillview
02-19-2009, 01:00 PM
DS is 3.5 he (not always but often -- this is his "job") clears his own dishes, "sets" the table (with some success -- still learning).

He also cleans up his own toys (often, not always). He like to sweep but that is hard with DS #2 around and he LOVES to polish the floor with a wet wipe. He also likes to on occasion help unload the dishwasher.
/hillary

rlu
02-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Like PP, DS likes to vacuum and dust. He also loves to pull the sorted laundry out of their baskets and toss into the dryer. He helps move the wash to the dryer - I pull from the top-loading washer and hand to him to throw in the front-load dryer, saves my back.

DS sweeps/rakes the frontyard for us and for my folks. He especially loves to pick up the stickerballs for my folks! He also helps pick up the fallen oranges in the back (he loads them into the big dump truck we got at Target and when it's full, I just hook a plastic grocery store bag onto the end and he tips the oranges in - I love this!)

DS used to feed the dog (put out dry food).

He helps wash dishes by doing the "rinse". We have a split sink so I fill one side with warm rinse water, then I wash and put in the rinse water. He then rinses off the bubbles and puts the dishes in the drying rack. I take care of the sharp or breakable items of course.