PDA

View Full Version : If you would like to have more DC's..do you save their clothes?

veronica
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Or sell them since you might have a different sex, give birth at a different time of year or just because you want new clothes...

I have a DD and DS and always save their clothes in bins by size/season. We'd like to have more DC's in the future and keep really good care of their wardrobe, primarily gymboree and hanna for DD and just gymbo now for DS. So-should I sell and try to get some money back now or save it for future DC's....I'm really torn. Most things are in pristine condition and I know that ebay sucks for fees and don't want to deal with non-paying bidders or feedback issues.......

what do others do and why?

TonFirst
02-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I save everything heirloom-quality (smocked dresses and jon-jons - my daughter wears *my* smocked dresses), I donate anything that's expendable - meaning, you can pick it up at BRU or Target or TCP for under $10 or so, and save everything else (Hanna, Gymbo, Baby Gap, Kissy Kissy, Ralph Lauren) to hand down to my sisters for their kids. My sister's daughter is 5 months younger than my daughter, so every time my girl outgrows an age bracket (which is ALL THE TIME, as she's only 11 months old), I pack them up and ship them off. And most of *my* daughter's clothes are hand-me-downs from my good friend and neighbor who has a 4 YO and 2 YO triplets, two of whom are girls.

Did you consider handing the clothes down? Used clothes, even Hanna or Gymbo, don't sell for THAT much when you consider the hassle factor. I figure that my younger sister, who supports her daughter and her putz husband on her teacher's salary, needs the clothes more than I need $50 bucks, or whatever, and I love seeing all these adorable clothes worn again by someone I love. And my friend with the triplets loves seeing the clothes worn by my niece, too!

BabyMine
02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
I keep only the clothes I like. The others give to charities. I figure by the time I have another child someone else could be using the clothes.

AngelaS
02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I sell. I'm doing having kids but mine are all growing at various rates and have such different personalities and complextions, that what looks good on A doesn't look good on G and G's style is different from M's. Make sense? :) So, each kid gets their own clothes save for some basics like plain jeans or pjs.

gobadgers
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
My friends and my husband's friends are in the 'baby years' - it seems like every month or so there's a new announcement. I received so many clothes from friends, so I'm keeping ours and waiting for someone to have the right gender baby in the right season.

There are a couple things I'll keep for sentimental reasons - things I've knitted or my grandma has knitted, and a few special gifts.

Since I'm not sure yet if we'll have more kids after DS arrives in May, it's possible I'll want some of the others back someday... I'm thinking about writing our initials in the nicer ones (although I'm sure I'll never remember them and it will be a nice surprise if any make their way back around :-)

maiaann
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm keeping EVERYTHING DD#2 has used. With DD#1 we lived in a very small 1 bedroom apartment and had no storage space. After she outgrew her clothing, I ebayed & consigned everything except the absolute few pieces that I loved. The reasoning was lack of storage, we needed the $$$, and I wasn't positive I wanted more children after her.

Fast fwd 5 years and go figure we have another girl. I hate that I have to rebuy stuff that I already had a time ago. The $$$ I made selling her clothes was nothing compared to the $$$ I'm having to shell out for new stuff. If our third DC is a boy, he will be wearing a lot of pink!

Happy 2B mommy
02-19-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm saving, but my LOs are going to be close in age. I haven't found out the gender of DC2 and the seasons will be a little off, but I would rather do one large gargage sale than hassel with consignment/ebay etc. Most of my stuff is cheap-o anyway. The Hannas I'll sell later.

AJP
02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I have 6 mo old girls and find I do a little of everything. I save certain items (for future kids, my SIL etc) pack some up to donate and some to send to consignment. I tend to dress my girls alike so some things I have 2 of. That makes it easier for me to help someone else out and hopefuly get some $ back! I also have been saving both of their special outfits ie:christmas dress, going home outfit etc. I'll probably save these types of outfits through their first year and give them to them when they get older. I've yet to find a consignment store to bring my items to though :(

WatchingThemGrow
02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
I saved DD's clothes until we found out DC3 was another boy. We're on a pretty tight budget, so I was happy as can be to sell off a bunch at the consignment sale and rake in $150. I probably have another $100 or so to make.

For DS' clothes, I've saved them and hope that some will work for off-season trips or irregular growth spurts. I tend to buy stuff 2nd hand for $3-5/piece or a few Hannas that are unisex. From age 2 on up, I'm *hoping* to buy better quality stuff for DS and pass it down. An extra consideration we have is that DH is really picky, which makes buying stuff within his *rules* for kids' clothes a challenge. If I find something that makes the cut style and price-wise, you better believe I'm going to hold onto it. Our boys will only be 18 mos. apart, so it kinda makes sense, unless DS2 isn't tall and thin like DS1.

We get no hand-me-downs. I do loan out stuff to friends if it is between consignment seasons, even if I plan to sell it. I have some things to Ebay, but haven't.

I'm looking at my DC right now, and there's only a few inches height difference. The younger may be handing down stuff to the older next time I turn around.

mbbailey
02-19-2009, 04:55 PM
almost everything is either sold on craigslist or donated to goodwill.

MoJo
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Here lately, it's gotten much harder to sell things on eBay. At the consignment store, you only get back 25% of the new cost at best, and some area stores won't even accept clothes that aren't new with tags.

So I'm saving nearly everything that is still in good shape; I gave away some of the outfits I didn't love (just not my taste) to a pregnant teen at DH's school.

I figure I can always try selling in a few years if I don't need them and don't have any other family members who need them.

Melaine
02-19-2009, 05:18 PM
I sell almost everything, clothing, equipment, gear, bedding, with a few exceptions: anything handmade I save, a couple of boutique-y smocked items, and a couple of my very favorite outfits that I just loved or we had many special pictures in.
My nieces are almost exactly one year apart to the week and my SIL told me they are such different builds that none of DD1's clothing fit DD2 at the right time of year. What with changing styles and whatnot and our lack of storage space, selling items works great for us. I use the money to buy the next season's worth of clothing and toys.
I very very very much hope that one day we will have another LO but who knows when. I can always hunt bargains again to replace the stuff I have gotten rid of, I figure.

KpbS
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
I saved everything from DS1 and was glad I did. We weren't sure if we would have another and in the meantime it all went to DN. We have reused a ton from DS1 and even though they were born in different seasons DS2 has worn many items from DS1 and DN. Yes you can replace those onesies from Target but since I had the storage space I just pocketed the money and spent it later to fill in gaps in their wardrobes.

I did however through out anything w/ big stains. Mine are big spitters.

I am not sure we are done but it is really hard for me to get rid of clothing. I am too sentimental about it.

infocrazy
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
My boys' are 3 months off in season but DS2 is also bigger so it is a little more. He hit ALL the holes in DS1's wardrobe. We were able to use I'd say half but most of it was onesies/tees etc...that wouldn't be that expensive to replace. Once we get into the toddler sizes it shouldn't be an issue. That said, I kept everything for DC3, who will probably be a girl just because I don't have any wardrobe holes anymore!

We are VERY lucky that our friend gives us everything her boys outgrow so once we are done we will give everything she gave us back to her so she can sell/donate that. Our stuff we will probably pass on to our friends or donate.

maestramommy
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I saved pretty much everything. I was only going to sell some stuff off if I found out I was having a boy this time. But since I'm not, I'm saving everything. I'll probably start selling off as the kid outgrow them.

himom
02-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I keep everything that's in good condition in storage in our attic. It really comes in handy now with DS2. We don't even have to buy him shoes!

brittone2
02-19-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm saving. I have no idea if we'll try for a third or not, but I don't want to rebuy. I probably could and should part with some of it, but I still like a lot of our clothes, even those dating back to DS's birth 5 years ago. It isn't really out of fashion or anything. I'm sure I'd update w/ some new pieces, and I definitely cull and donate some of the items we have too many of or are not great quality brand-wise.

I actually joke w/ DH that one benefit of having a third would be that I could finally get rid of a huge section of stored clothing in my attic once we knew gender, etc. ;) For now I'm holding onto it, just in case.

KrisM
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
I saved everything and regret it now. I'm done having kids and have a walk-in closet full of clothes. It's overwhelming. I have nearly 5 years of boys and 3 years of girls. I'm trying to get it ready for a mom 2 mom sale and I'm drowning.

I'm actually going through the bigger boy stuff and geting rid of anything I can. If it's something I know I will use and I love it, I'm saving it. If not, it's going to the sale with me.

But, I don't buy new for much. Most of the clothes came from a mom 2 mom sale and was only $1-$3 so if I need to rebuy for DS2, I can. I just don't want to save it all for 4 years again.

And, I'll probably save more of the bigger sizes than the smaller. There are fewer bigger sizes available at resale places it seems. I'd hate to have to replace it with new stuff.

LarsMal
02-19-2009, 06:35 PM
I saved everything. My project for this weekend is to go through the ridiculous number of bins I have and the spare dresser that's been stuffed with clothes!

My DDs will be opposite seasons, but I'll keep most of her stuff until I know for sure what will work for DD2 and what won't. My SIL is pg with her first. If she has a boy, she gets all of DS's stuff. If not, I'll pass it- minus the items we want to keep- along to someone else or Goodwill.

I have two friends who have borrowed some of DS's baby stuff, but I've gotten it back. We knew we'd have three so I've held onto everything.

Of course DH thinks we should still keep DS's stuff- just in case- :hysterical: Chances of a #4- slim to none!!!

gatorsmom
02-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I've saved pretty much everything. But I work hard to keep everything spot-free. So, the clothes are alittle faded, but still nice.

After 5 years of saving, it would be just my luck that I got rid of everything and then got pregnant again. I have the space for the clothes- I don't want to jinx myself. LOL

Honestly, though, i do save the clothes for a "just in case" situation. If I don't use them, someone I know may still want them.

lizajane
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
dh had a vasectomy in jan, so not holding out for more kids. even though i do want to take in some non- bio kids someday. BUT my sister has a son, 2.5 years younger than DS2. and she is TTC this spring. so every single thing i have goes straight to her. now, she has WAY too many clothes! ha ha! because she has my hand me downs from schuyler, dylan, a friend who gives dylan stuff, a friend who gave schuyler stuff, the extra stuff i got for dylan so he would match schuyler sometimes.... i need to go up to her house sometime and help her sort what she really doesn't want so i can give it to some other friends who want stuff. the stuff worth selling SHE really WANTS or i made myself, so we want to save it.

plus, i have my own clothing line and hoping to keep growing it, so if i do have more kids one way or the other, i can get make his/her stuff and get it at cost if i don't feel like sewing myself. and i can get everything back from my sis when she is done with it all. she knows to loan it out, but not give it away. (she has a nephew who is one size behind her son.)

Ceepa
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
I had saved a lot years ago but have been swayed by the argument that there is some baby out there who could use my kids' unused things so we most often donate, sometimes sell. We're fortunate in a way that a number of families aren't, we talk to DC about helping others with things that we aren't using. That being said, we do have some sentimental keepsakes and a few basics on hand.

SnuggleBuggles
02-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I saved everything at first but got a bit choosy over time. I kept all basics, outerwear and anything that seemed worth hanging on to. I saved them even though I didn't know if we were having more kids.

I'm really glad I saved so much because I have hardly had to buy anything for ds2!

Beth

hillview
02-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I gave everything to my sister til I got pg with #2 then I saved almost everything but my kids are 2 years apart.
/hillary

jgenie
02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I keep only the clothes I like. The others give to charities. I figure by the time I have another child someone else could be using the clothes.

:yeahthat: I'm keeping the items I'm attached to and donating the others - especially warm sleepers. I know times are tough and not everyone can a) keep their homes warm b)afford to buy warm clothes. I like knowing DS' clothes is keeping another baby warm.

hillaryb
02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
We've saved everything so far. We have the storage space (love Space Bags and plastic tubs!) so it's not a problem.

Not sure if we'll have another child tho...at least not for 1-2 years. If we decide our family's complete at 3 of us or we have a boy, then I'll sell or hand down, except for the heirlooms--things my mother made for me or I've made for DD.

I have gotten a lot of hand me downs from friends with older girls, and I've taken what we won't use to my favorite consignment shop.

ETA: I have not kept DD's bottles or Carter's tagless clothing from Fall '07 line. I will not keep her sippy cups either. If there's any chance they could have toxins in them, I get rid of them and I'll buy new if needed.

nicanddrew
02-20-2009, 03:37 AM
I saved everything with our first son until we found out our 2nd was a girl. I then gave a ton to friends adopting a little boy, consigned some and just saved gender neutral stuff. We figured we were done at 2.
Of course, we then unexpectedly get pregnant with #3 and it's a boy. We've been blessed with a huge box of little boy handmedowns and just got some girl handme downs--so I'm grateful, but I'm totally overwhelmed trying to figure out where to store them, how to store them etc.

Problem is DS at almost 4 is skinny--he still fits into some 18 month shorts, but also can wear some 3T/4T pants and shirts, so storing stuff by size has been problematic. Plus, 3rd child is going to have to share a room with somebody--does that mean I have to clean out half of the closet and dresser to make room or do I get another dresser?? Aack! I've had 2 boxes and one plastic bin of stuff in my living room for 2 weeks cause I don't know where to put it (baby due in May, so don't really want to put in the attic for such a short time)

I'm starting to clear out DD's stuff and give away or consign--I figure if we have a 4th and it's a girl, we'll just suck it up and go shopping cause I can't deal with any more boxes!

kijip
02-20-2009, 04:06 AM
We stopped saving Ts clothes a long time ago because it was painful to have all this stuff while going through and healing from SIF. Most of them were sold or donated or passed around to other friends. Now it seems silly to hold things for 5+years from the time T is wearing them now to when F could wear them but I did make a bin to do just that with the nicest stuff provided it is still in good condition. I do have T's suits saved (my dad has been buying him a nice boys suit every year/size or so since he was about 2), so that is a big $$ savings. Of course saving a 5 year old boy's everyday jeans and t-shirts for 5 years seems silly, as they make better rags than clothes by the time he is finished with them, LOL.

Neatfreak
02-20-2009, 05:25 AM
I saved items that were special (ie. gifts from my sister) and things that I really liked. The rest, I passed on or donated. I wasn't sure at the time that we'd have more than one child, or that my kids would be born in the same season.

Melanie
02-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I kept them when I knew we'd have another. I sorted them by size (and in your case I'd also do gender or unisex). I only kept what I loved b/c I knew I'd want to buy some things even if #2 was a boy again. If I didn't love it, then it found a new home.

Asianmommy
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I saved everything. My 2nd DD got to use everything my 1st DD had, and I've been lending out their old stuff to friends. I'm naturally a saver, and I hang on to stuff--just in case.

rgavelis
02-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I have sold most of the clothes from my kid because they were still in really good shape. Everything else I've donated to thrift stores. I mostly did this because he's got way too many clothes because he has a grandfather who thinks that if he doesn't buy him clothes, we would let him roam around the house naked. Also, we won't be having any of our own kids any time soon and the next kid will be a girl we're adopting from China.