PDA

View Full Version : Ad for nanny on Sittercity?

infocrazy
02-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Has anyone ever used Sittercity? Good/bad? Is this an okay ad? Too much info? Not enough, what am I missing? Should I mention #3? I figured full disclosure is best. Any ideas other than Sittercity?

With #3 on the way we are going to be looking for a nanny, I think. We want to use her a few times as an occasional babysitter to make sure it is a good fit and probably wouldn't NEED her to start until June but am I looking too early? I could probably start her earlier but my current DCP (which we are really happy with but can't take #3) would be fine until June.

We are currently looking for an occasional babysitter to watch our 2 very active boys, 3 and 1½. If you like all of us and our boys love you, we would like this to become a nanny position (Wed-Fri 8-6) in June, but could probably do earlier if requested. We are expecting our 3rd child in August so there would be reduced hours during my maternity leave. Must have an upbeat attitude, high energy, and enjoy being outside when weather permits Love of playing dinosaurs is a plus! :-) Please have two excellent references, at least two years' experience working in a paid childcare position, your own transportation to our home, and an excellent driving record. Light housework is included, hourly rate TBD. If interested, please email Jen at xxx@xxx.

THANKS!

Momof3Labs
02-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I would say that the nanny position starts no later than June - chances that you'd find someone good who can wait that long are slim. You'd want to grab her as soon as she's available, even if it is sooner. Also, the reduced hours during your maternity leave (of unknown length) will probably turn someone off - this is already a part-time job, and this person will probably need the steady income. Plus, you don't say how long the reduced hours will last. IME (we have a nanny) you either need to be prepared to pay the nanny for working her regular hours through your leave, or to let her go and replace her when your leave is over. You might find someone to agree to your proposal but it's not all that appealling to most nannies.

Mention whether driving the kids is required (I would highly recommend it - it is tough being cooped up for 10hrs a day with 3 kids). I would take out the two references and two years' experience and just screen applications as you get them. And tone down the "active boys" and "high energy" requirement as that can leave an applicant wondering just how nuts they are, kwim?

HTH!

tylersmama
02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I've used Sittercity, but only to find babysitters, not a nanny. That said, I've had a pretty good experience and found two excellent babysitters through it. The trick is to be patient, it sometimes takes a while for potential applicants to see the ad, especially if they're just looking for something occasional. Oh, and be prepared to get applications from people who CLEARLY do not meet the criteria. I can't tell you how many people replied to my ad for a two hours a week sitter in my home with "I can't come to you, but you would be welcome to drop your son off at my home where I watch my own/other people's kids." :rolleyes:

Good luck!

infocrazy
02-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Good point about "in our home" I don't think I put that in..

infocrazy
02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Yes, I agree. Sittercity had a sample ad and I borrowed a lot from that.

We only pay our current DCP when she has the boys so I am hoping to find a similar situation but agree that I need to be prepared for paying full time.

Momof3Labs
02-19-2009, 10:33 PM
We only pay our current DCP when she has the boys so I am hoping to find a similar situation but agree that I need to be prepared for paying full time.

DCP have other children and thus other sources of income on a given day. A nanny who only gets paid when you need her doesn't have other sources of income to fall back on. That's going to be tough to find in a nanny unless you find someone who does it because they love kids and not because they need the money - say a 60yo grandmother type. And those types of people are easier to find by word of mouth - they usually aren't on sittercity looking for a job. I'd try spreading the word at church, among friends, etc.

Or, I think that you need to wait and hire a nanny when your maternity leave ends so that you can pay her for the full 30hrs per week every week.

caheinz
02-19-2009, 11:46 PM
I preferred using eNannySource http://www.enannysource.com/

In the free searches on SitterCity, I couldn't really differentiate well between sitters (PT) and nannies (FT). The distinction was clearer on the enannysource site, so I used the lowest level membership to find our nanny.

And I'd agree with Lori on the hours. They just are not going to appeal to many people.

LBW
02-20-2009, 07:50 AM
I've used sittercity to find summer college babysitters. You could do that and then find a more permanent PT nanny at the end of your mat leave.

I agree with Lori's comments about the ad - tone down the "active" boys!

jacksmomtobe
02-20-2009, 09:01 AM
I've used Sittercity to find several Sitters. Overall the experience has been good. I've found the best way to use the site is to post your own ad and be specific as possible on hours, etc so that you minimize the people responding who clearly don't meet your requirements. The last go round no one responded who couldn't work the day & time I needed as I was very specific. I've found that all our local college students who want to sit or nanny look on there. We live in an area with many college with education programs. I also get responses from Professional Nannies as well. I think as other posters said I would post for a summer position and give some specifics maybe say lighter hours in August (if you have definitely figured that out) then you can go into more detail with people who respond. You may find someone who wants some flexibility in August so that they can enjoy a bit of the summer. You may also find a teacher looking to make a bit of money over the summer. You can also mention that there could be potential to have the job continue into the fall and discuss more specifics with candidates.

Good Luck!

mommy111
02-20-2009, 09:04 AM
I've used sittercity, my expeience is that if you're looking for someone full time, they would probably not want to wait till June and then have reduced hours during maternity leave. So I would look then for the full time. Another option is greataupair.com, this is mostly people looking for full time work, many have been aupairs before and are currently not au pairs but in evening school or part time school or something. I've had good experience with full time from that site. But we also live in the boondocks so sittercity always gave me the college kid who wanted to supplement income with a few hours a day of sitting.

infocrazy
02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks everyone! I agree, that I may need a summer nanny and an after maternity leave nanny. My current DCP is a friend who is a SAHM but the new baby on top of her kids will just be too much. I am hoping that she will want to watch them until my maternity leave but know that she likes to go on summer trips so expect that she will want to end with the school year.

I figured since I still have some time, I would go ahead an post with the probably undesirable hours just in case. Here is my adjusted post:

We are currently looking for an occasional babysitter to watch our 2 wonderful boys, 3½ and 1½, in our XXX home. If you like all of us and our boys love you, we would like this to become an on-going position (Wed-Fri 8-5). Start date determined based on interviews, but no later than June. We are expecting our 3rd child in August so there would be reduced hours during my 12 week maternity leave. A summer only position is possible but not preferred. Must have a fun, upbeat attitude, sense of humor, and enjoy being outside when weather permits. Love of playing dinosaurs is a plus! :-) Please have your own reliable transportation to our home and an excellent driving record. Light housework & cooking chicken nuggets is included, hourly rate TBD. If interested, please email Jen at XXX.

Thanks!