PDA

View Full Version : Any opionins on Volvo XC70?

jess_g
02-19-2009, 09:31 PM
I am considering getting a used one (maybe a 2003 or 2004 model) and am wondering what everyone thinks of this car. I have never owned a Volvo before. Any advice on this model? I also wonder how easy it is to use the thrid row seats and what age kids can sit back there? I am thinking of using the third row for two older kids that we car pool with. Any advice on if this would work would be great. I am also considering just getting another minivan but I am not sure how long we will need that third row with my kids growing up and all. Right now we need it for carpooling.

Thanks,

Jessica.

cvanbrunt
02-19-2009, 09:43 PM
We are picking ours up on Monday. We are getting a 2005 model. 2003 was a redesign year so according to DH copious amounts of research, 04-08 are best years to get....
We chose it for the third row seat for extra kids and the car we are getting has built in booster seats. The room in the back (with the seats down) is a little more than what we have with our current Toyota Highlander. I can tell you next week what age kids can fit back there.
BTW, I drive a Volvo S40 and it is fabulous. DH was so jealous of it, he's dumping the Highlander for the XC 70.

elizabethkott
02-19-2009, 10:49 PM
We have a 2007 XC70, and I love, love, LOVE it. In retrospect, I wish we had gotten it with the third row seats and the booster build in, but for our needs it's been great so far.
While we're not yet at the stage of carpooling, I would think that the additional third row seating would be fine for what you've described.
In my experience, one of the things about the volvo that I love is knowing that I am in a really, REALLY safe car, but it doesn't handle like a tank, kwim? When we were test driving, I also liked the XC90, but DH didn't like how it handled for some reason...
One of the annoying little things I've experienced is that when the car is "due" for maintainence, if you wait a couple of hundred miles random warning lights begin coming on even when there is nothing wrong - like my "low air pressure" light that's been on... and I know how to check and fill up my tires, dang it. :) I think it's a nefarious plot to get people in to the service center, but that's jmo...
Bottom line: I love my Volvo. :D

AnnieW625
02-20-2009, 12:16 PM
I have Volvo envy lots of the time, which is really stupid, but I just do. I really regret not buying a used mid 90s sedan when I was in an auto accident in 2001. My dad said I needed to get one because it was safe, reliable, and would last forever. I was 24 at the time and said why do I need a "mom" car? I looked at the whole line of wagons, and the XC90 in 2006; I liked the V70, and DH liked the XC90. XC90 was way out of our price range, and it's bad reviews from Consumers Reports for repairs scared me. My mechanic told us to stay away from the post 99 models because he thinks the reliability has gotten worse since Ford bought them. DH was very impressed with the S40 though at a recent auto show and that car has jumped onto his list of possible replacements for his Corolla in a year or two.

My daycare provider's husband has a 2008 XC70 and really likes it. 2008 was a redesign year though so keep that in mind. They had a 2005 or 2006 V70 and they didn't like it as much; said it didn't corner as well (daycare lady much prefers her 08 Mazda CX-9).

Enjoy your new car!

ETA: I also found this post from a Volvo forum, granted it dates back to 2005, but it just shows complaints and concerns that others had with their 2004 model Volvos (mainly the S60/XC70/V70): http://www.volvo-forums.com/t3414-volvo-reliability.htm