PDA

View Full Version : do I need birth cert for child to fly?

deborah_r
02-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Do I need to bring Quinn's birth certificate to fly with him? He is 20 months old.

Staraglimmer
02-19-2009, 10:58 PM
YES! Most airlines require it. They did for my 3 month old. I have needed if 8 out of 9 times I have flown. HTH

JBaxter
02-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Ive never needed it and we have flown alot. Nathan has had his own seat since before he was a year old. If you have a 20 month old thats a lap child they may question the age. He has a passport now so I just take that

deannanb
02-19-2009, 11:12 PM
we needed it last month - (for lap child)
and I think with your DS being so close to 2 - I'd bring it along so no one questions it!

kimberley-k
02-19-2009, 11:16 PM
As pp said, you only need it if you are doing a lap child. If you have purchased a ticket, they will not ask for ID for kids.

-Kim

KpbS
02-20-2009, 12:10 AM
... I think with your DS being so close to 2 - I'd bring it along so no one questions it!

:yeahthat:

stella
02-20-2009, 12:31 AM
I have NEVER had them ask for one - in 7 years of frequent flying with babies - but it couldn't hurt, I guess.

tylersmama
02-20-2009, 12:36 AM
I've never been asked for a birth certificate in the dozen or so trips I've taken with DS. That said, the last time he was a lap child was when he was 15 months. If your 20 month old is going to be a lap child and looks like they may be close to two, I would take a copy just to be on the safe side. The only reason they should ask you for it is to prove that the child is under two and doesn't need their own seat. TSA will not ask for ID.

baymom
02-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Or, you could bring a passport.

jbowman
02-20-2009, 01:05 AM
I've never been asked for a birth certificate when I've flown with my kids (and all three of them have been lap babies). I don't even bring their passports when we fly domestically.

belovedgandp
02-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Yes, yes, yes, if you're doing lap child.

If you've purchased a seat no one seems to care, but they want proof of age for lap kids. It can be hit or miss, but if you get a stickler, they will be a stickler. I didn't even think about it once with my youngest. He wasn't even 3 months old, so it seemed pretty obvious to me. But they were insistent about the proof of age.

Melanie
02-20-2009, 02:56 AM
I think you only need it if you want to prove he's less than 2 so you don't have to buy a seat. And not necessarily, just if he gets questioned it would make it easier for you. Saw that on an episode of 'Airline.' LOL.

We took Dd's with us anyway, but no one asked. She had her own seat.

Melanie
02-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Yes, yes, yes, if you're doing lap child.

If you've purchased a seat no one seems to care, but they want proof of age for lap kids. It can be hit or miss, but if you get a stickler, they will be a stickler. I didn't even think about it once with my youngest. He wasn't even 3 months old, so it seemed pretty obvious to me. But they were insistent about the proof of age.

OMG, that's ridiculous.

elektra
02-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Yah I wonder what they will say with my 5 week old in June!

egoldber
02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I have flown dozens of times with my kids and never needed ID for domestic travel. International yes, but not domestic.

JenaW
02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I guess the moral of the story here is that it varies from airport to airport and person to person. We took a cruise last month with all 5 kids. Our 4 mos old (at the time) was a lap baby, the others all had seats. At our departure airport, we were asked to show ALL the birth certs by security. The airline ticket agents only wanted our (adults) photo IDs. Coming home, the first time through security, they did not ask for any of them, but at our layover airport, we left the airport and came back in and they asked for it then. If I were you, I would take it. better have it and not need it than the other way around.

J

Laurel
02-20-2009, 01:52 PM
We fly 4-5 times a year on different airlines with our kids and have never once been asked for DC's ID (except for a passport for international travel). However, it is official policy of some airlines, so I'd bring ID to be on the safe side. We do almost always purchase a seat for each child, so maybe that is why they never ask us.

It's really annoying that they aren't more consistent about this. If you get an agent or security person who wants to be a stickler/jerk they can potentially ruin your trip.

AnnieW625
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I never brought one with Elisa and we only flew Jet Blue. They just asked what her birthdate was. The last time we flew with Elisa as a lap child she was 20 mos. old I think.

Side note, does anyone know when TSA starts asking for ID? I know it's pretty far off for us and since CA offers ID cards (not sure what age), but I didn't know if it's something I should think about.

DebbieJ
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I have never had anyone ask for a birth certficate for DS. He has always had his own seat.

C99
02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
If he is a lap child, it depends on the airline. I bring T's every time I fly on AA and have never needed it. SWA is notorious for asking for it and insisting you pay for a seat if you do not have it.

kimberley-k
02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
I never brought one with Elisa and we only flew Jet Blue. They just asked what her birthdate was. The last time we flew with Elisa as a lap child she was 20 mos. old I think.

Side note, does anyone know when TSA starts asking for ID? I know it's pretty far off for us and since CA offers ID cards (not sure what age), but I didn't know if it's something I should think about.

My SIL flies out to visit us every year as an unaccompanied minor, and as of age 14 they have never asked for her ID.

-Kim

tylersmama
02-20-2009, 08:35 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that as long as they're a minor, they don't need ID. At the very least under 16. You could check the tsa website to be sure (www.tsa.gov).

kayte
02-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I have flown LOTS of times (probably close to 40 times- 20 trips) with DD (she is now three) both in her own seat and in my lap and have never needed it. We always fly Delta. Not sure if that makes a difference.

tylersmama
02-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Ok, I had some spare time, so I looked around the TSA website. It doesn't seem to specifically say that minors don't need ID, but it does say this:

Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.