PDA

View Full Version : Drop nap, what time to move bed time?

niccig
02-19-2009, 11:53 PM
We're going to drop DS's nap as he's staying up too late and bed times have become difficult. Today he had quiet time in his room. I walked out of his room at 7.30pm and it was obviously too late as he still had a difficult time settling down. Should I be leaving the room at 7pm or 6.30pm? He normally wakes around 7-7.30am and he's 4 yo.

Thanks.

KpbS
02-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I'd aim for 7 pm. That's worked well for us. It will take a week or so for him to adjust to this new normal.

EllasMum
02-20-2009, 12:02 AM
DD (3.5 yo) dropped her midday nap about the time preschool started. When she was having a nap during the day, she would be awake until at least 8:30 or later in the evenings. Now that she doesn't have the nap, she is often asleep by 7:30. Give the schedule you described, I think I'd leave the room by 7pm or even 6:45.

Good luck! :sleep:

niccig
02-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks. I'll aim for a little before 7pm.
We had our playgroup dinner today and we left there too late. DS was fine until we got home, then he flipped out over going to bed. He was way too tired. Until we get into this new schedule, I'll limit all afternoon activities so we can make a 7pm bedtime without meltdowns.

nfowife
02-20-2009, 02:19 AM
My DD is almost 4 and dropped her nap about a month ago. Now she goes to bed (happily) around 6:30. It's great!

WatchingThemGrow
02-20-2009, 07:37 AM
I just want to cry. Why is DD dropping hers at 2.5 and going to bed between 7-7:30, waking at 6am? Argh! Looks like she should need more sleep than that.

I'd try earlier, OP, but we're clearly not doing the right thing here...

DrSally
02-20-2009, 10:51 PM
DS is 3 and naps are very sporadic. On no nap days, I try to get him in bed before 7pm, 6:30 is actually optimal. He wakes up at 7am.

ETA: Even when we get him to bed at 6:30, he's out like a light right away. If it's anytime after 7pm or even 7pm sometimes, he is flipping out over everything, obviously way too tired.

DrSally
02-20-2009, 10:55 PM
I just want to cry. Why is DD dropping hers at 2.5 and going to bed between 7-7:30, waking at 6am? Argh! Looks like she should need more sleep than that.

I'd try earlier, OP, but we're clearly not doing the right thing here...

Uh oh, that's not good. Have you tried experimenting with a different naptime? If that doesn't work, what about putting her to bed at 6:30?

WatchingThemGrow
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Uh oh, that's not good. Have you tried experimenting with a different naptime? If that doesn't work, what about putting her to bed at 6:30?

Tried earlier, tried later. Nothing is guaranteed to work. We haven't tried bedtime before 7pm. I need my afternoons back!

We got new windows several months ago, and the blackout shades came down. DH and I have tried and tried to find a way to get them back up inside the new windows and nothing works. Maybe I'll try to enlist some help in getting them or new ones up.

DrSally
02-20-2009, 11:36 PM
YEah, get those shades up! The first thing I wanted done when we moved into our new house was a blackout shade for DS! I nagged DH about it until he did it. I didn't even want one night without it.