PDA

View Full Version : OT WWYD damaged friends car

ray7694
02-20-2009, 09:10 AM
On our way back from lunch I opened the car door while holding a drink tray. The wind took the door and smashed into my friend driver side door mirror. It cracked the mirror. I know it wasn't my fault but I feel bad.

WWYD? I told my friend to send me the bill as I felt awful. She hasn't told me what it cost just that they are getting it fixed next week.

Would you offer to pay for it? 1/2 of it? Any other suggestions?

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
02-20-2009, 09:11 AM
If their insurance doesn't cover it I would offer to pay the whole thing. She may or may not take you up on paying that much.

ETA_ when I had to get my mirror replaced it was only $100.

Beth

KBecks
02-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I'd offer to pay the whole thing. Sorry it happened.

Melaine
02-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Annoying, but I would pay the whole thing, and be very adament about doing so. Otherwise, I would be afraid it would affect your friendship down the road. Sorry that happened....

mommy111
02-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Annoying, but I would pay the whole thing, and be very adament about doing so. Otherwise, I would be afraid it would affect your friendship down the road. Sorry that happened....

I think it depends on the kind of friends you are. My *very* close friends would never let me pay, teh question just wouldn't arise. But for anyone else, I agree with Melanie, I would insist on paying for all of it. If, after insisting several times, she still did not take you up at your offer, I would buy her something of roughly equal value and a note saying you appreciate her friendship.

clc053103
02-20-2009, 09:46 AM
insurance or pay for it. Chances are, the damage is low enough that it won't harm your insurance rates.

AngelaS
02-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Getting ours fixed after I crashed it into the side of the garage was about $300. We didn't claim it on insurance since our deductible is higher than that.

I'd definitely pay for it. If she won't tell you how much, you can always call the local dealership and ask what it would be to fix it.

writermama
02-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I would definitely pay all of it.

If a friend refused to allow me to pay, I would find a way of giving her a gift worth approximately the cost of the repair -- perhaps something as simple as taking her out to a nice dinner.

FWIW, according to my insurance when a similar incident happened to me (darn wind) if any part of your car hits another car, even if the cars are parked, it counts as a collision and (at least in my state) the owner of the car that did the hitting is liable for repair costs of the the car that was hit.

And that's just one more reason I really, really want a minivan with sliding doors before my kids are big enough to open and close their own car doors.

egoldber
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I would definitely pay all of it.

If a friend refused to allow me to pay, I would find a way of giving her a gift worth approximately the cost of the repair -- perhaps something as simple as taking her out to a nice dinner.

I would offer to pay again, but I can see a good friend not letting me do that. I would probably not let a friend pay for it since it was clearly an accident and could happen to anyone. And I like the idea of the lunch/dinner to compensate if she doesn't let you pay. Maybe a GC to a nice restaurant and an offer to babysit?

DebbieJ
02-20-2009, 11:38 AM
On our way back from lunch I opened the car door while holding a drink tray. The wind took the door and smashed into my friend driver side door mirror. It cracked the mirror. I know it wasn't my fault but I feel bad.

WWYD? I told my friend to send me the bill as I felt awful. She hasn't told me what it cost just that they are getting it fixed next week.

Would you offer to pay for it? 1/2 of it? Any other suggestions?

TIA!

It was your fault. Your door hit her car. I would pay for the total bill.

1964pandora
02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, I'm sorry this happened, but technically it is your fault because the event was foreseeable. I did something worse, though, if it makes you feel any better. We had very high winds and I was getting my kids in the car. Since it was very, very windy, I should have foreseen that that the car door might smack my two year old. It did. (He's ok, no injury, but it really smacked him.) Much worse than damaging property.

hellokitty
02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Pay for it. It would suck for them to try to claim it on their insurance and have it increase their rates. I've had ppl vandalize my mirrors before. I think the estimate of $300 is about right.

kijip
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I would insist on paying it all.

I agree though that I would likely refuse to accept money from a friend for something like that as would most of my friends, so if she does that try and find another way to compensate her.

Laurel
02-20-2009, 01:58 PM
It was your fault. Your door hit her car. I would pay for the total bill.

This. I'm sure your friendship is worth more than the cost of the mirror. I can't imagine the awkwardness that may ensue if you don't offer to pay for the total.

Asianmommy
02-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Agreed. Even if it's the wind's fault, you are responsible for the damage. I would pay the full amount.