PDA

View Full Version : couch to 5K

LBW
02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I've seen "couch to 5K" plans mentioned on here a few times in the recent past. I've been thinking about trying one this spring. I've googled, and found a lot of different information and even some sites that want you to pay before you'll have access to their recommended plan.

If you've actually done this kind of thing, did you follow a plan? Can you recommend it? ANy other tips? I know I've got to get myself to a running store to buy decent sneakers. Beyond that, I'm clueless!

egoldber
02-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I used this one:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And I used these podcasts:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

MamaKath
02-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Have you tried SparkPeople? One of the moms here recommended it along with the C25K program there. It is free to sign up there and there are lots of boards, neat features to check out.

www.sparkpeople.com (http://www.sparkpeople.com) If you sign up, lmk- my user name there is uscpwife, there are a few others over there also.

ellies mom
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I used coolrunning too, but I downloaded Robert Ullrey's podcasts for free from iTunes. You just have to search for "podcasts for running". It was easier for me. And I admit upfront that this next bit is a little petty but by the end of the series, you will probably love the sound of his voice and well, his face doesn't match his voice so it is better to just keep your own image in mind. Kind of like how you imagine the character in a book to look like one thing but then they cast someone completely different looking in the movie and it just kind of sits wrong.

Anyhow, I strongly recommend C25K. It is an excellent program and I know a lot of people that have had great success with it. I actually need to start back up with it myself.

LBW
02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
I used this one:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And I used these podcasts:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

The coolrunning site was one of the ones I found. Did you like using it? Did it turn you into a "runner"?

It cracks me up that I'm considering this. I never, ever run. But, I need a change, and I know it'll be good for me.

LBW
02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Have you tried SparkPeople? One of the moms here recommended it along with the C25K program there. It is free to sign up there and there are lots of boards, neat features to check out.

www.sparkpeople.com (http://www.sparkpeople.com) If you sign up, lmk- my user name there is uscpwife, there are a few others over there also.

Never heard of this one. Off to check it out.

ellies mom
02-20-2009, 01:19 PM
After I did the C25K, I did the One Hour Runner program. That one is 10 weeks and by the end, you are running as the name suggests for an hour. I got up to about 16 miles a week but then I had to stop when my joints got too loose while pregant with Audrey.

wellyes
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
I just started working out too (though not running). The February blahs are a great motivator, really. I love the idea that I'll feel and look better by the time spring weather gets here!

JenaW
02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I recently started this and am finishing week 6 today (or tomorrow - whenever I make it to the gym). I used the above sites as well (ullrey's podcasts and the coolrunning site). I also found this message board with people currently doing the program.

http://community.active.com/community/coolrunning/newbiecafe?view=discussions

Although I rarely posted there, I got a lot of helpful info from it. I am training for a triathlon and I HATE HATE HATE running. Prior to doing this program, I would never get more than 10 minutes of running at a time. I have already done 2 20 minute runs and am supposed to do a 25 today. I never would have guessed I could have done it and done it this quickly. I did repeat week 5 because I wanted to try and increase my speed. One thing to note - you need to pick time or distance, because unless you are doing all your runs at 6 mph (which I am just sustaining now on my shorter runs, but not on my long ones yet) you won't get their full distances in. Based on what I read on the boards, it is often helpful to start slower, and work on achiving the total time, then increasing your speed as you go along and the runs get easier. If you have a better base to begin with, you may be able to run faster. Someone else who is actually a runner may be able to chime in with different or better info, but as a non-runner I found this worked best for me. Also, I run primarily on a treadmill at the Y, but while on vacation at the end of January I tried running outdoors on a track and found it incredibly different, so beware that your times/distances/achievements indoors do not actually translate outdoors.

good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

J

egoldber
02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I was never a runner and still don't really consider myself a runner. But I wanted a new type of cardio to change up the pace of my cardio workouts. I hate the treadmill, but I didn't mind doing it if I was running and doing C25K.

I have joints that tend to ache easily, so I would caution to go very slowly at first. I was in pretty good shape when I started it and was frustrated with how slow the first few weeks were and I overdid it and hurt myself. I had to back way off. By starting slow you let the joints and ligaments that are not used to the stress from running build up to it.

caheinz
02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
I used coolrunning too, but I downloaded Robert Ullrey's podcasts for free from iTunes. You just have to search for "podcasts for running". It was easier for me. And I admit upfront that this next bit is a little petty but by the end of the series, you will probably love the sound of his voice and well, his face doesn't match his voice so it is better to just keep your own image in mind. Kind of like how you imagine the character in a book to look like one thing but then they cast someone completely different looking in the movie and it just kind of sits wrong.

Anyhow, I strongly recommend C25K. It is an excellent program and I know a lot of people that have had great success with it. I actually need to start back up with it myself.

Exactly this.

I used to love to run, but kept getting discouraged from being out of shape. This got me going again about 1.5 years ago -- and the podcasts made it so easy!

Of course, I gave up when I got pregnant with the twins, but I'm looking forward to getting back on the wagon later this spring! (And I'll start back up with the C25K and Ulrey's podcasts!)

BarbieSmith
02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Ullrey's podcasts are techno style... if you prefer hip hop there is "Suz's' podcasts (do a search, her blog is something awful like "kissmyblacka**" or something, but don't let that turn you off, she is a sweetie and her hip hop music really gets you moving!). Also, there is a Christian set of music for the C25K (I think you can find a link at coolrunning.com?).

C25k is FUN! Good luck!
Barbie