PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a $2 bill?

elektra
02-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Kinda dumb question but what would you do with a $2 bill that was a gift to DC?
MIL gave DD a $2 bill in her Valentine's card and it's just been sitting on our counter for the past week. What do I do with it?
My own grandmother used to give me $2 bills and silver dollars and such (isn't it such a grandmother gift?) and I think they are all still sitting in my little cash box I had as a child.
It just seems like a waste to me to be just sitting there.
Should I save it for her? Just spend it on her? Is there any real value beyond the $2? I guess I feel bad about MIL wanting it to be sentimental or something.
Also, I am really not crafty at all so some kind of collage or display thing probably would never happen.

kijip
02-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Toby thinks $2 bills are hi-freaking-larious. He has one on his dresser with the uncirculated boxed silver dollars and other collectible coins his grandfathers have given him.

I'd use it however you would have otherwise used cash for her. We deposited a lot of $1, $5 and $20 bills with the odd $2 bill that fell out of cards for Toby over the years along with the checks but now that he is old enough to get an allowance, we let him keep them and then he spends some and takes some to the bank.

$2 bills are worth $2 so no special reason to save it. It might be fun to save it for her until she is old enough to spend it just so she sees the novelty.

avd3875
02-20-2009, 01:48 PM
My grandmother always sent a $2 bill when my brother or I were sick. I thought they were great. Sometimes I spent them, but as I got older I started saving them. When she died I was so glad I still had those special little reminders of her.
My mom has continued the tradition with Joey. The difference is that she writes on the bill before she gives it to him (ie, "mystery rash - 8/2007"). Not only is it a special thing for the two of them, it helps me keep track of illnesses!
Joey refuses to spend them, so they all just go into his kitty bank.

Asianmommy
02-20-2009, 01:49 PM
I would keep it in a special place until DD is old enough to decide for herself what she wants to do with it. My younger DD has a hat box for these things, and my older DD has a wallet & a purse.

bonbon98
02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
I have about 10 of them - the tooth fairy has been giving them out lately...

jgenie
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I would hold on to it - maybe put it in the baby book as the 1st.

BabyMine
02-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I have always kept mine. Like other PPs said it is more about sentiment than monitary.

bluestarfish18
02-20-2009, 04:04 PM
My dad always gave me $2 bills when I was younger and I'd just use them like "regular" money. Now you can walk into any bank and ask for a bunch of them.

vonfirmath
02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
My grandparents always gave me $2 bills for gift-giving occasions. Our parents gave us $2 in regular bills and kept them. I've got the envelope now and its a special reminder of grandparents that are no longer around.

Cam&Clay
02-20-2009, 04:33 PM
My mom has always sent a $2 bill in every card she sends to my DCs. My 10 year old has a ton of them. We don't spend them. My mom figures by the time he goes to college, maybe she'll be able to say she paid for one of his textbooks!

Nooknookmom
02-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Does your MIL know my MIL???

Mine is from the Midwest and would constantly send DD1 $2 bills. DD was like "Um, what do I do w/ $2?". So she would just save 'em up and get candy or whatever from our little downtown shops.

Fortunately MIL has adjusted to the cost of living and now sends DD (now 13) $5 instead ;)

MamaMolly
02-20-2009, 05:55 PM
We have a friend who uses them at tips in restaurants. No matter where he goes, no matter how high the bill, his tip is a $2 bill. He claims he has never once had a complaint, I think because people are amused by the novelty of it.

kijip
02-20-2009, 06:34 PM
He claims he has never once had a complaint, I think because people are amused by the novelty of it.

Yeah, no complaints because he is gone by the time most servers realize what he has left them and are too professional to complain to a customer anyways. If he goes anywhere regularly, I would not be surprised if they groan when they see him coming.

s7714
02-20-2009, 07:08 PM
My aunt used to send me one in every single card (Easter, birthday, Christmas, all of them). I had quite a collection. So many in fact I never really saw what the big deal was about them. I promptly cashed them all in at the start of college. :innocent:

My DH OTOH saves any he comes across because they're a total novelty to him. For a while the Disneyland parking lot would always give you $2 bills in change if you paid just the right amount over the parking fee. DH was always happy about that. Not sure if Disney still does it though, because they haven't had any the last couple times we've gone.

rgavelis
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I'd save it for now and when she's old enough to start buying her own things, let her use it then.

MamaMolly
02-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah, no complaints because he is gone by the time most servers realize what he has left them and are too professional to complain to a customer anyways. If he goes anywhere regularly, I would not be surprised if they groan when they see him coming.

Ha-ha! And here I thought it was because he only frequented really cheap-o restaurants where a $2 tip is 20%! :)

kijip
02-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Ha-ha! And here I thought it was because he only frequented really cheap-o restaurants where a $2 tip is 20%! :)

LOL. True, maybe he only goes to cheap diners, alone. :)

jayali
02-21-2009, 10:12 AM
We save them in a jar and when the jar gets full we put them in our safety deposit box. They are mostly from his MiMi and PopPop so I am hoping when he is old enough to understand he will want to save them or use them to do something really special. The reality is he will probably want to use them to help buy a car!