PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried?

jgenie
02-20-2009, 04:27 PM
DS (13 months) woke up this morning with what look like bug bites. He slept in a footed sleeper and I slept with him most of the night. I don't have any spots on my legs. He has about 9 small red spots the size of a fine point marker tip maybe - one of the spots is bigger now about the size of a pencil eraser. They don't seem to bother him and I'm about to look to see if he has any on his arms or trunk. I'll post an update. He's vaxed up to date.

ETA: No visible spots on his arms or trunk.

TIA

WatchingThemGrow
02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't be worried. Not yet at least. I would take a pic with my camera just so I had something to look back and compare it to in a few hours or tomorrow. My kids get spots that come and go without any issues.

brittone2
02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
DS (13 months) woke up this morning with what look like bug bites. He slept in a footed sleeper and I slept with him most of the night. I don't have any spots on my legs. He has about 9 small red spots the size of a fine point marker tip maybe - one of the spots is bigger now about the size of a pencil eraser. They don't seem to bother him and I'm about to look to see if he has any on his arms or trunk. I'll post an update. He's vaxed up to date.

ETA: No visible spots on his arms or trunk.

TIA

I'd just keep an eye on it unless you notice other symptoms, but that's JMO and not medical advice :)

No fever or anything?

jgenie
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I'd just keep an eye on it unless you notice other symptoms, but that's JMO and not medical advice :)

No fever or anything?

Thanks - No other symptoms - laughing and playing as usual no fever.

Kidrepair
02-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Did he play outside yeserday at all? My dd had those last summer, and I was told they are most likely chigger bites, if not I have no idea, LOL!!

lablover
02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Did he get the MMR vaccine recently?

niccig
02-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Sometimes people don't get reaction to a bug bite because they're not allergic to what the bug injects into you when they bite. I was getting bitten but DS/DH weren't. We thought I was having an allergic reaction rather than bug bites. Turned out it was mites - I caught one on me and a entomologist friend ID it as a mite and that DH and DS probably were getting bitten but they weren't having a reaction to the bite, just I was. We had a bird's nest in the eaves of the house and that was the source of the mites.

I would watch and see if it's a one of thing or if it continues or gets worse.

jgenie
02-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Did he play outside yeserday at all? My dd had those last summer, and I was told they are most likely chigger bites, if not I have no idea, LOL!!
He didn't play outside, but they do look like chigger bites.

Did he get the MMR vaccine recently?
No, he hasn't gotten the MMR yet - at his 18 month appt I think.

Sometimes people don't get reaction to a bug bite because they're not allergic to what the bug injects into you when they bite. I was getting bitten but DS/DH weren't. We thought I was having an allergic reaction rather than bug bites. Turned out it was mites - I caught one on me and a entomologist friend ID it as a mite and that DH and DS probably were getting bitten but they weren't having a reaction to the bite, just I was. We had a bird's nest in the eaves of the house and that was the source of the mites.

I would watch and see if it's a one of thing or if it continues or gets worse.

It could be this - we have birds that hang out in the eaves outside of DS' window and his crib is under that window.

I've washed his crib sheet and am hoping that will take care of it. Our ped has hours tomorrow morning so if there are more tomorrow we'll take him in to be sure.

Thanks!

salsah
02-20-2009, 06:29 PM
a friend of mine's dd just had chicken pox and that is how it started. she woke up one morning with what looked like lots of tiny bug bites all over her face and hands. since her dd was otherwise fine, she assumed it was bug bites until she noticed some scabbing. she took her dd to the dr who said it was chicken pox.

niccig
02-20-2009, 07:04 PM
It could be this - we have birds that hang out in the eaves outside of DS' window and his crib is under that window.

I've washed his crib sheet and am hoping that will take care of it. Our ped has hours tomorrow morning so if there are more tomorrow we'll take him in to be sure.

Thanks!

Take him in to check it's not something like a PP chicken pox. If you think it could be mites from the birds, you need to remove the bird nest, and it take a couple of weeks for all the mites to go. You can have Terminix etc come in and spray, but only if you know for sure it's mites and I would only do that if DS is still getting bites for quite some time and nothing else is working. As it was me getting bitten, I would put on bug repellent, but you can't really put that on a baby.

Melaine
02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
We had an issue similar last year. I took DD in to the Dr. when the bites seemed to be red and almost inflamed. Turns out they were flea bites....our dog was staying with my parents for a couple weeks while we did some work and apparently that's an opportunity for the fleas to find the next largest victims! I was horrified, since we'd never had issue with fleas before. We treated the house and the dog and haven't had issue since....not sure if this is a possibility in your situation....

jmeyer23
02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Keep an eye on it; my DS had the same thing last week (16 mo old), but no other symptoms...was sleeping/eating normally, etc., and I just kept worrying about the little spots on his face that looked like bug bites. Our ped was very thorough and wanted to just make sure it wasn't strep so did a quick test, and it was positive! I never would've guessed...after 24 hrs on the antibiotic, they disappeared. HTH.