PDA

View Full Version : You know, I thought I qualified for a get out of barf free card or something

kijip
02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
For at least 3 months? Nine months? After severe hypermemis and constant vomiting for most of my pregnancy, I find myself ill with an array of symptoms- sore throat, headache, general aching and congestion- all of which I can accept as a normal cost of getting sick every so often. BUT now include vomiting. Ick. I have had enough to last a lifetime, thanks anyways.

Besides how does one possibly stay hydrated while throwing up and breastfeeding a new baby constantly? (Seriously, BTDT advice on surviving a vomiting bug while breastfeeding without withering up, let me know :) )

tylersmama
02-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Oh, yuck. I'm sorry, Katie. I had the stomach flu when DS was around 5 or 6 months, I think. All I did for two days straight was lay on the couch, nurse, and run to the bathroom. I sipped ginger ale and chicken broth as much as I could, as much as would stay down. The ginger ale worked the best. The nice thing was that I lost 10 pounds pretty darn quickly, and it didn't seem to affect my supply too much. Just try and get as many liquids in you as you can possibly keep down. Feel better, soon! :hug:

elektra
02-21-2009, 01:08 AM
That sucks! Every so often I thank God for being over the nausea. That is just not fair to have it the whole pregnancy and just when you were probably starting to feel normal.....
No advice beyond the obvious of just trying your best to stay hydrated with water.

hellokitty
02-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Oh Katie, that REALLY sucks. I have, "mild" HG (not bad enough to req hospitalization, but bad enough that I can't function and need to be on meds) and would totally feel the same way as you do... the injustice!!!!

As for making it while vomiting and BFing, I have a friend who lost all of her pregnancy wt, b/c she got the stomach flu TWICE in six months. She said that she would just try to drink water, she didn't eat much and then she would just lay in bed and her DH would bring the baby to her when he needed to nurse. I hope that you have some help at home, you probably have very little energy. laying in bed (with a barf bucket nearby) is probably all you can contend with right now.

LarsMal
02-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Ugh...I hope you feel better soon!

I remember getting some sort of stomach bug when DS was just a couple months old. I had to pump and have DH bottle feed him b/c I couldn't sit long enough w/o having to puke! It didn't seem to have any impact on my supply, but I did try to get in as many fluids as I could (in between puking!). Water, hot tea, anything I could stand.

Hopefully it is a quick one!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
02-22-2009, 04:07 AM
Aww man katie that just sucks! No fair and yes you should get that card!

I did however get the flu when ds was just under a month old and breastfeeding. I wound up in the er because the doc needed to make sure I didn't have an infection but they took one look at me and hooked me up to saline. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Just try and keep down some fluids but really-if it doesn't create a financial burden-if you think you're getting dehydrated and still not keeping fluids down get yourself in the er to get hydrated.

Hope you feel better soon.

annex
02-23-2009, 01:42 AM
My experience - use your leftover Zofran from your hyperemesis. It is safe for breastfeeding, and well worth it to stop the vomiting when you need to keep yourself and a baby hydrated.

Hope it's a short bug,
Anne

kijip
02-23-2009, 01:51 AM
Happy to say it went away! Yay!

Still a touch sick, but no vomiting so I am thrilled.

I did end up popping some Zofran at my husband's suggestion. I forgot I had it still.

hellokitty
02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Happy to say it went away! Yay!

Still a touch sick, but no vomiting so I am thrilled.

I did end up popping some Zofran at my husband's suggestion. I forgot I had it still.

Lol, I'll have to keep some extra zofran around for a situation like that! Glad to hear you are feeling better! :)