PDA

View Full Version : Another countertop question

bubbaray
02-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Has anyone removed laminate countertop and replaced it with solid surface or granite BUT not damaged the backsplash tile??

We want to change our countertops, but the existing backsplash is VERY nice and we don't want to replace it. The builder did not leave any spare tiles, so we have no way of replacing damaged ones.

TIA

egoldber
02-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Yes. I was worried about this but it was no problem. We replaced a laminate counter with Corian.

gatorsmom
02-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Unless you find someone you absolutely trust and have references for to install it, I would say it's likely somethings going to get damaged. We changed from laminate to granite when we bought this house and the backsplash was damaged (in the one area where we didn't want to replace it).

Get references. I've had enough experience with construction companies and builders to know that they always damage or destroy something else when they do their work (and I don't mean to insult anyone in the construction business. DH and I are in the construction business. He'd tell you the same thing). They are like bulls in a china shop. Get references and make it clear what you want and can they do it.

bubbaray
02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
THanks Beth.

Can I ask why you chose Corian? Pros & Cons? I like Silestone, but we are also considering Corian and granite. Granite is the cheapest option for us, but we've heard that most people building and reno'g right now are choosing Silestone. Cost is an issue as we have a very large kitchen with a vast amount of counterspace, a large island and a kitchen desk. I also want to make the counter in the powderroom on the main floor matching counter.... DH is having a complete bird.

TIA!

bubbaray
02-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks Lisa. THat is why DH has been stalling for so long. He says they will damage the backsplash. Sigh.

WatchingThemGrow
02-21-2009, 12:37 PM
FWIW, I love our Silestone in navy. It doesn't soak in oils like I've had granite do. Have fun if you get the go-ahead!

egoldber
02-21-2009, 04:39 PM
FWIW, Home Depot did ours.

We went with Corian over granite for a few reasons. One, we have a lot of counters, but they are oddly shaped. Granite would have required a lot of visible seams and DH was very opposed to that. Also, we were only re-doing the counters and I did not want to drastically change the look of the kitchen, which has a particular color scheme that I wanted to maintain. This is why we chose Corian vs another solid surface material, because it has the color we wanted.

gatorsmom
02-21-2009, 06:20 PM
THanks Beth.

Can I ask why you chose Corian? Pros & Cons? I like Silestone, but we are also considering Corian and granite. Granite is the cheapest option for us, but we've heard that most people building and reno'g right now are choosing Silestone. Cost is an issue as we have a very large kitchen with a vast amount of counterspace, a large island and a kitchen desk. I also want to make the counter in the powderroom on the main floor matching counter.... DH is having a complete bird.

TIA!

I just wanted to add that I had silestone in our last house and hated it. It showed every bit of dust or smudge. I understand that there are different textures and types and maybe that makes a difference. Ours was nearly black with some flecks of color in it. Pretty but hard to keep clean.

Fwiw, we've had granite in our last 3 houses and my MIL has it in hers. I've never had any complaints about it. In fact, I absolutely love it. No more trivets needed for hot pans, I can cut on it because it doesn't scratch (it will dull knife blades, though). I slide things across it, I've used every cleaning product on it and it is indestructible. We have a crazy pattern (uba tuba) and it doesn't show dust, crumbs, or smears. It's wonderful.

In our bathroom we put red travertine and it is wonderful too. Beautiful and doesn't show the mess. It will, however, scratch, unlike the granite we've had, so not ideal for the kitchen. hth.

kellij
02-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Have you guys seen the granite that you put over your existing counter top? I think it costs substantially less. Does anyone have any experience with that?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-21-2009, 07:52 PM
The thickness of the existing countertop may vary from what you choose, creating a gap between the new top and tile, just something to think about. I recently had granite laid over an existing concrete countertop which could not be removed. It is beautiful , but what a nightmare! Initially did not want granite, but now love it, so easy!

kimbe
02-21-2009, 09:35 PM
We replaced laminate with granite and kept our existing backsplash. When the granite guy came and did the estimate he asked if we were keeping the backsplash and I said YES and begged him to assure me that it wouldn't be damaged. He didn't even bat and eyelash and said it would be totally fine. One guy came to remove our old countertops and there wasn't even a chip in the backsplash. I was scared to death and had heard horror stories, but it wasn't even an issue. I think that if you are dealing with an honest reputible company, it won't be an issue.

Depending on your grout size, the gap between the bottom of the backsplash and the granite will probably be larger, they just matched the color of our exisiting grout and grouted the gap between the tile and counter. You can't even tell that the gap is larger.

We LOVE our new countertops. The only regret that we have is that we didn't do it sooner! If you haven't decided on a color, talk to the people that give you estimates and ask for their suggestions. We didn't even consider black granite (peacock green actually) until our granite guy recommened it and gave us reasons why we should use that color. It is just beautiful -- people thought that we got new cabinets.

Good luck!