PDA

View Full Version : Question about Magic Tree House and grammar

ett
02-21-2009, 03:35 PM
DS1 is a pretty good reader and I was thinking of encouraging him to read some of the early chapter books. I picked up the first Magic Tree House book yesterday since I had heard so many positive reviews about them. I decided to read some reviews of them on Amazon last night and noticed that some people did not like them because they are filled with grammatical errors. (fragmented sentences, etc.) I'm now hesitant to have DS1 read these because I fear that he will pick things up when he's writing. Some reviewers have said that they would only read these books to their kids and not have them read them themselves (so the parent could correct the grammar while reading.) But I'm looking for books for DS1 to read by himself not for me to read to him. Any thoughts on this?

Does anyone have suggestions of other chapter books that is of similar reading level and that would be interesting for a boy? I already know of the Flat Stanley ones, but I'm looking for other ideas too. Thanks!

egoldber
02-21-2009, 04:36 PM
I think it's like any dialogue. I think they are awkward to read aloud because they are full of so many:

"Neat!" Jack said.
"Aw, you always say that," said Annie.

I cannot imagine reading all 30 odd of them aloud. I read the first 2 or 3 to Sarah and then she read the rest. It has not affected her writing at all.

Sarah has read all of them and is now reading the Research Guides. Those are kind of fun and I actually don't mind reading those.

If you search in "early chapter books" in this forum and in the Around the House forum, you'll find many threads with lots of recommendations. :)

lizajane
02-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I think it's like any dialogue. I think they are awkward to read aloud because they are full of so many:

"Neat!" Jack said.
"Aw, you always say that," said Annie.

I cannot imagine reading all 30 odd of them aloud. I read the first 2 or 3 to Sarah and then she read the rest. It has not affected her writing at all.

Sarah has read all of them and is now reading the Research Guides. Those are kind of fun and I actually don't mind reading those.

If you search in "early chapter books" in this forum and in the Around the House forum, you'll find many threads with lots of recommendations. :)

we have read about 15 aloud. i even do voices. ;) i usually just skip the redundancies. if the "jack said" isn't necessary to understand the text, then i just skip it. i am a grammar nut and these books don't bother me. they are simple for small children and i am ok with it.

egoldber
02-21-2009, 04:44 PM
i usually just skip the redundancies.

I wish. Sarah reads along with me and would go ballistic if I ever skipped a word.

lizajane
02-21-2009, 04:53 PM
I wish. Sarah reads along with me and would go ballistic if I ever skipped a word.

ha ha! i guess that is one silver lining of having a dyslexic child?

actually, i am just being silly. (not that being dyslexic is silly, i am just trying to wrap my brain around it.) the truth is, my kids are in bunk beds so they can't both sit with me when i read. so DH and i have a trick- we get them in bed and turn out the lights, then we lie in the doorway and use the hall light to read. so they kids don't see the book while we are reading. sometimes one or both of them fall asleep while we are reading.

kijip
02-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I am with Beth on this. Toby has read many of these + loves the research guides and there is no impact on his writing. Fiction is written differently and I think native speakers/readers of a language pick up what is correct and what is either a mistake or a writing style pretty quickly.

mommy111
02-21-2009, 06:08 PM
I agree with Beth, Katie and Liza, DD reads these, no problems, really.
BTW, Katie, did you put that last line in your siggie just for me? Because I was headed over to the mall to buy those finishline crocs that I don't need in the first place :) I am now deterred, you must be a mind reader.

Melbel
02-21-2009, 09:08 PM
I am pretty particular about grammar and I am fine with MTH books. DS has also enjoyed A to Z Mysteries, Boxcar Children, Encyclopedia Brown, and Third Grade Detectives series.

For a level slightly below MTH, my DC just loved the Fluffy books about a sarcastic classroom pet guinea pg.

ett
02-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts on this. I'm not so concerned about this now. :) I will do a search for other chapter book suggestions too.