PDA

View Full Version : affordable option to Valco Twin Mode w/ Toddler seat?

peyton
02-22-2009, 09:09 AM
DD just turned 2 and we're expecting twins this summer. Can anyone recommend something comparable yet more affordable than the Valco Twin Mode with Toddler seat attachment? Is it worth the $800 pricetag!?!
Thanks in advance for your input.

MmeSunny
02-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Don't know where you're located but there's one on Craigslist in Atlanta. . . .even includes the toddler seat.

peyton
02-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks! Is that your listing?

AnnieW625
02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Friend with twins loves her Bob Revolution Dualie with the buggy board for her now 4 year old (he was 2/1/2 when twins were born). I thought about the Valco Trimode too with a toddler seat, but decided that since DD will be over 3 once baby is born it wouldn't be the best option for us because of her height.

mikeys_mom
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
The only other option is the ABC double buggy with toddler seat. You have to order it from New Zealand and it is just as expensive as the Valco.

I am in a similar situation (expecting twins in a few weeks and have a 2 year old and a 4 year old) and after extensive research, those are the only two options for really seating 3 children, aside from purchasing a triple stroller.

There are other non-tandem triple strollers that are less expensive, but they do not steer as well as the Valco. I think that you need to assess your needs to determine if it is worth the investment in a good double jogging stroller. If I didn't already have a good double jogging stroller (BJCSD) that I loved, I would for sure purchase the valco. However, at the moment we are going to wait and see how often I will be out on my own with the 3 little ones (DS no longer rides in a stroller). Also, we live in an area with a lot of snow, so I need the air tires. Buggy boards do not work well on the snow so if I am going to push all 3 at once, the only realistic option is a double that can accomodate a toddler seat.

I would second the Craigslist suggestion. That's what I've been doing the last few months - trying to find a used Valco on Craigslist.

HTH.

chicagojo
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
I "third" the Craigslist suggestion - Valcos periodically pop up there but you have to act fast - when I sold mine 2 years ago for $350, it went in less than a day and I had 5 serious interested buyers contact me before I even had a chance to log in and remove my post. It might also be worth doing some research into which model year toddler seats are still available, so that if you come across a good deal on one without the toddler seat you will know whether or not you can obtain the toddler seat separately to make it work for your situation.

mikeys_mom
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
It might also be worth doing some research into which model year toddler seats are still available, so that if you come across a good deal on one without the toddler seat you will know whether or not you can obtain the toddler seat separately to make it work for your situation.

I looked into this as well. Valco Canada was most unhelpful in giving me a straight answer to this. Maybe Valco USA is better -I tried to contact them, but all my calls and emails got routed back to Valco Canada.

There is only 1 toddler seat that is currently sold. It will fit on any year Valco stroller that has a bumper bar that "clicks" in. The older Valcos (I think pre-2005) had a bumper bar that was attached with screws and will only work with the older version of the toddler seat (no longer sold) that needed to be screwed in. Basically, you need to make sure that the bumper bar on the stroller "clicks" onto the frame rather than requiring screws, and the new toddler seat should work. I haven't tested this out, but this is the answer I got from Valco.