PDA

View Full Version : Help....My eye keeps twitching....

Melaine
02-22-2009, 02:28 PM
any ideas as to why? This seems to have increased over the last couple weeks (not really sure when it started). It's really fast, not really something other people would notice, just me. It's like my eye lid has this tiny convulsion. I've had it randomly before but this is definitely recurring every day at different times. The twitching itself isn't a big deal, just the mounting anxiety that maybe something is actually wrong that is causing this. Anyone experienced this?

egoldber
02-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Oh yes. I get an eye twitch when I am stressed or anxious. It's very common.

Melaine
02-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks, Beth. I am always stressed so I think that is it, plus I periodically forget to take my Prozac. I also have been having a lot of neck pain, so I think I am out of line and need to visit the chiropractor, whether that is connected or not....I just googled it and feel relieved that it doesn't sound like anything like a brain tumor!

katydid1971
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
lack of sleep will also contribute. hmmm, stress and lack of sleep, sounds like your a mom

Melaine
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
lack of sleep will also contribute. hmmm, stress and lack of sleep, sounds like your a mom

Yes, I am surprised any of us can see the computer screens with our eyes twitching continually!! ;)

DietCokeLover
02-22-2009, 03:12 PM
It's a stress reaction. It will pass. Try to get some R&R if you can and I bet it will go away.

Rainbows&Roses
02-22-2009, 03:20 PM
It can be due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency - I think magnesium IIRC.

Melaine
02-22-2009, 03:25 PM
It can be due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency - I think magnesium IIRC.

Wow...thanks for this info. A quick google told me your memory is correct, and I am shocked to see several other issues I have been dealing with the last couple weeks, including migraines and anxiety, and also heart racing/palpitations which is part of the reason I am on Prozac to begin with....

can I just take a supplement?

hee hee chocolate apparently has a lot of magnesium!

DrSally
02-22-2009, 06:05 PM
nak, caffeine....

ETA: Now I can type more. I've had the same thing happen and have heard it's usually stress, lack of sleep, or caffeine. Also, you might want to consider talking to your psychiatrist about whether prozac is the right med for you. It's the most "energizing" of the SSRI's, so the anxiety and heart palp (and possibly even eye twitching) may not be helped by Prozac, KWIM?

elektra
02-22-2009, 06:08 PM
This happens to me from time to time too. For me I think it's a combo of being overly tired, and needing new glasses. I'll have to look into the vitamin thing though too; I hadn't heard of that.

MamaMolly
02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
...and here I was coming to post it was because you got an eyefull of the creepy Hug Me pillow in the other thread! :eek:

But seriously, I get the twitch too, mine is stress related. Glad to know about the magnesium, I'll go eat some dark chocolate now. :)

graciebellesmomma
02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Magnesium is great for any sort of twitch or spasm.
It does help with anxiety and migraines.

It sounds like you are going through something similar to what I am
going through. I hate to ask, but how old are you? Have you had your
hormones checked? All your symptoms sound very much like they
could be imbalanced hormones. Perimenopause.

Doctors automatically put people on anti-depressants, anti-anxiety
when they hear those symptoms. Which do help sometimes, but
are pretty extreme for hormonal issues and can create more
problems down the line.

I take Cal/Mag 1000/500mg 3-6 times a day, depending on where
I am in my cycle. I also take Motherwort. It's been a lifesaver
for me. Vitamin C, Fish Oil, and Garlic are a few others that I take.

I hate to add this part, but if you are having migraines you should
cut out chocolate. It's a known trigger, as well as red wine and nitrates
in lunch meats, etc.

My lifestyle was pretty altered by my symptoms, but with the supplements that
i'm taking, mild exercise, easy on the sugar, no caffeine-chocolate-red wine, I have
had a much easier time this last year.

I hope this helps you a bit. If you have access to a Naturopath with an MD, I'd
make an appt. and have them do the saliva test. It sure helped me.

ahrimie
02-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes, it's from stress and usually not sleeping much (probably bc you are stresesd!). If you eat/drink caffeine, I'd have less for a day or two and just breathe deeply a few times. Seems to help me :)

kristenk
02-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Stress and lack of sleep does it to me. If I even mention that my eye has been twitching, it'll set it off again. (Let's hope I didn't jinx myself by typing that!)

Melaine
02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Magnesium is great for any sort of twitch or spasm.
It does help with anxiety and migraines.

It sounds like you are going through something similar to what I am
going through. I hate to ask, but how old are you? Have you had your
hormones checked? All your symptoms sound very much like they
could be imbalanced hormones. Perimenopause.

Doctors automatically put people on anti-depressants, anti-anxiety
when they hear those symptoms. Which do help sometimes, but
are pretty extreme for hormonal issues and can create more
problems down the line.

I take Cal/Mag 1000/500mg 3-6 times a day, depending on where
I am in my cycle. I also take Motherwort. It's been a lifesaver
for me. Vitamin C, Fish Oil, and Garlic are a few others that I take.

I hate to add this part, but if you are having migraines you should
cut out chocolate. It's a known trigger, as well as red wine and nitrates
in lunch meats, etc.

My lifestyle was pretty altered by my symptoms, but with the supplements that
i'm taking, mild exercise, easy on the sugar, no caffeine-chocolate-red wine, I have
had a much easier time this last year.

I hope this helps you a bit. If you have access to a Naturopath with an MD, I'd
make an appt. and have them do the saliva test. It sure helped me.

Thanks so much for responding with your experience. I am 26 years old. I've had hormonal issues in the past (never tested), and had my Thyroid tested multiple times because of constant symptoms but test never shows a problem. I have been on Prozac for over a year now, for anxiety, and I feel pretty sure that is the right diagnosis (not to say that the rest of this stuff isn't a completely separate issue!) because I've done a bunch of tests with the cardiologist to discover why my heart races. That being said, I would really love to get off Prozac if possible, it just scares me because of the implications on my heart if I continue to have a high pulse on a daily basis. Interestingly, I don't usually do much chocolate, but this week have had a few bites of chocolate everyday since we had valentine candy! I knew it was a migraine trigger, but that never seems to register when I am eating the chocolate right before I get a migraine :wink2:
Anyway, I don't know if my MD does the saliva thing (I highly doubt it) but I will look into it. I appreciate your sharing your experience, and please let me know if anything else comes to mind!