PDA

View Full Version : Microscope Review

kijip
02-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I got a few pms and emails about the microscope my dad got for T for Christmas. It was the Planet Earth one that went down to $14 at one point on Amazon's toy sales that comes with a webcam and software for viewing the slide images on your computer screen.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Toys-Earth-Digital-Microscope/dp/B0017T3IG6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1235335631&sr=8-1

I thought I would post an update as to how it worked out.

It's not the best as a microscope alone, but it is serviceable for a little kid to have fun with. I think an older child might prefer something that is higher resolution. It is mostly made of plastic, so very lightweight and a little flimsy. The light works just fine so far. The premade slides are all viewable and it was easy enough for T to make some of his own slides to look at. What really shines for it though is the webcam, a feature I thought would never be used. First off, the software and the webcam both worked just fine on our Macs (even though the specs just list PCs). Second, T LOVES exploring the images from the slides with the computer. It is pretty much the main way he uses it. I would say he asks to set it up/hook it up 1-2 times a week and plays with it either with one of us or alone. It is fun for him to pick up something outside on a walk and save it to make a slide later. I think it would be a good tool for homeschoolers.

I would not pay more than about $30 for the quality of microscope it is but the webcam function made it more than worth the $14 my dad paid. I'd pay up to $30-40 for it I think.

I can't see him losing interest in it anytime soon as there are always more things to make slides from, LOL.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
02-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the review katie. I was discussing the possibility of getting dd a microscope with my own father earlier today. I think she'll really enjoy it over the summer and we're trying to support her growing interests. We'll see where they go since these days she BEGS to watch House reruns. Anything with the human body gets the response of "Cool!"

Let me know if you have reviews on any other science equipment.

kijip
02-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the review katie. I was discussing the possibility of getting dd a microscope with my own father earlier today. I think she'll really enjoy it over the summer and we're trying to support her growing interests. We'll see where they go since these days she BEGS to watch House reruns. Anything with the human body gets the response of "Cool!"

Let me know if you have reviews on any other science equipment.

If she likes anatomy stuff, T has LOVED both of these books:

http://www.amazon.com/Uncover-Human-Body-Book/dp/1571457895/ref=pd_cp_b_0?pf_rd_p=413864201&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0613849469&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11W6N514ZN161Z24XSXQ

and

http://www.amazon.com/Alive-Living-Breathing-Human-Body/dp/0756632110/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235633909&sr=1-2