PDA

View Full Version : Time article re: repeat c/s and VBAC

LarsMal
02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
The title is "The Trouble with Repeat Cesareans". I don't think it does much to point out the "trouble" with them, though! It does state that a lot of women aren't even given the option of VBAC and that there are some risks associated with repeat c/s.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1880665-1,00.html

This issue is very near and dear to me right now. I am working out a VBAC plan/compromise with my OB and trying to get DH on board. He has not been supportive, at all, but seemed to come around to the idea of it a little more after reading this article.

I just wish they would explain the statistics of failed VBAC/ruptured uterus/problems with babies more. They stated that 73% are successful, which of course made DH point out that over 25% are not. But why? Are these women who weren't good candidates to begin with?

Anyway, just thought I'd share it!

kijip
02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I just wish they would explain the statistics of failed VBAC/ruptured uterus/problems with babies more. They stated that 73% are successful, which of course made DH point out that over 25% are not. But why? Are these women who weren't good candidates to begin with?

It is important to remember that the most common outcome when a VBAC fails is a safe c/s delivery. So the approx. 1/4 that don't work out as vaginal deliveries are still by and large safe deliveries. Certainly there are risks either way to be weighed. It is generally understood that a successful VBAC has the lowest rate of complications, followed by a planned c/s, followed by a VBAC that becomes a c/s.

Our planned for VBAC became a planned c/s because I developed PIH necessitating delivery of F sooner rather than later and did not want to VBAC on an induced labor. It is my understanding that being induced increases the risks of VBAC.

One big thing you can do to have a successful VBAC is to have a provider that is truly supportive of VBACs. If your provider is against it, I think it is harder to have a VBAC work out.

sste
02-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I think there is also recent data that spacing babies increases success of a VBAC. I am waiting 18 months from DS's birth before trying to get pregnant again, in part b/c of this issue though also for other reasons.

Davids-Coco
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I read the "trouble" as that people are not being offered vbacs and that there has been a dropoff according to the article. Frankly, my OB is supportive but still has a 70% success rate. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Women with wonderful chances may not be successful for unknown reasons, just as a woman with low chances may succeed. The body is mysterious.

However, it doesn't mean that all repeat c/s are bad. You have the opportunity to make the best choice for your situation by doing your own research and looking at all your medical information. For some, myself included, a repeat c/s can be the very best choice.