PDA

View Full Version : What's your daughter's FAVORITE dollhouse?

jray
02-22-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm looking for a good deal on an adorable dollhouse for my daughter (for her 2nd birthday). While I normally LOVE wooden toys, I can't resist the Fisher Price Loving Family Dollhouse. There are so many fun accessories! However, I also saw one at Costco.com (Kidkraft "SO Chic") but it's over $200 shipped. Got any other ideas?

dotgirl
02-22-2009, 06:53 PM
DH is still mad at me about this, but my DS's favourite dollhouse is the Sweet Street PlayHouse (http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Streets-Village-Gift-Set/dp/B0009PY6J2)

We wound up with 2 due to a mixup during present buying at Amazon, so I let DS have one, and he still plays with it - he's loved it for the last 2+ years.

MMMommy
02-22-2009, 06:57 PM
We have the Kidkraft So Chic dollhouse from Costco, and it is HUGE. By huge, I mean really huge. Also, it is sized for Barbie-sized dolls, if that makes a difference to you. It is well made and comes fully furnished. We paid $129.97 for it before Xmas when it got reduced in the Costco store, so we felt it was worth it at that price. It isn't a bad deal at $219 shipped, considering the size and everything it comes with. Just be sure you have the room for it b/c it is substantial with 360 degree play.

For a smaller scale (non-Barbie sized), I love this one by Battat. It is currently unavailable, but I noticed that it has come in and out of stock throughout the year. Regular price is $199, but I've seen it go on sale at that site from time to time.

http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534290

I know that the Ryan's Room dollhouses are popular, but they don't come with furniture. By the time you factor in the various sets of furniture it can be pretty pricey.

KrystalS
02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
I know most moms here love the wood dollhouses, I do too. But my DD never played with hers. I got it for her 3rd bday. I sold it after about a year and got her the Loving Family dollhouse. She loves it, plays with it all the time.

jjjo1112
02-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I got my DD the loving family dollhouse for her 2nd birthday a few months ago. I bought most of the rooms and a few of the accessories were pretty smallso I just put them all in a ziploc bag for when she gets a little bigger. Other than that, she loves the dollhouse and plays with it all the time. My DS is 3 and he plays with it a lot as well. They both really love the little details like the changing table has a little fish that lights up when you push on it, etc. Great toy, great price and the kids like it.
Jackie

vludmilla
02-22-2009, 09:00 PM
DD is 2.5 yo and she loves the Battat dollhouse from Leaps and Bounds. It is very well made and includes everything. We got it on sale for about $140 shipped before Christmas.

WatchingThemGrow
02-22-2009, 10:19 PM
DD got the Ryan's Room It's 2 Cute wooden dollhouse (from CL) at 2. She really does enjoy it. She also loves her cousin's Loving Famly, and she played with one of the Barbie-sized houses at a friend's last week. They all keep her interest.

I think the key might be finding out what you think is reasonable in terms of style, cost, space, etc. She'll probably love whatever you get!

The Ryan's Room one we have came with furniture and people and was intended for the 2 yo set. I knew we'd have little brother(s) who would be around and I didn't want the choking hazards many dollhouse sets provide.

kellybelly0513
02-23-2009, 01:53 AM
We got the Fisher Price My first dollhouse for my dd when she was younger, like in the 2 year range and we just bought her the Loving Family dollhouse this past Christmas. We have a wooden dollhouse too (at my moms) and it does not get played with much.

melonkelli
02-23-2009, 02:18 AM
I recently saw one on clearance at the Land of Nod at http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=8095&f=4847&pc=0&m=taf&taf=1

It seem like a really good deal for a standard sized dollhouse with accessories, especially if you can get a free shipping code (or just put it in your cart & wait a couple of days and they might send you a code).

My boys play with my old Fisher Price dollhouse from 30 years ago. I've got a playmobil one in the closet for when the youngest is old enough to not swallow the tiny little (cute!) parts. I'd love to get a wooden set, but we have SO MANY TOYS...

Melaine
02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I recently saw one on clearance at the Land of Nod at http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=8095&f=4847&pc=0&m=taf&taf=1

It seem like a really good deal for a standard sized dollhouse with accessories, especially if you can get a free shipping code (or just put it in your cart & wait a couple of days and they might send you a code).

My boys play with my old Fisher Price dollhouse from 30 years ago. I've got a playmobil one in the closet for when the youngest is old enough to not swallow the tiny little (cute!) parts. I'd love to get a wooden set, but we have SO MANY TOYS...

I was going to suggest the one from land of nod, too, because it seems really cute for the price. No experience and I've never seen it IRL, but I would be very tempted if I were shopping doll houses.

greatcanuk
02-23-2009, 10:20 PM

FYI, the dollhouse is by Plan Toys.

Camille

fivi2
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I got my girls the My First Dollhouse somewhere around 18 months or 2 years, can't remember... It gets some play. The people and furniture get a lot of play, the house itself not as much, but some.

I bought the Ryan's Rooms Home Sweet Home house and some furniture at Tuesday Morning a couple years back (pretty cheap). It is sitting in the closet (my girls are 3). The plan is to give it to them at 4 yo, but I am not sure.

They have recently discovered Calico Critters and absolutely love them. I am debating trying to sell the Ryan's Room and looking into a Calico Critters house. We have a couple random furniture sets and critter families. They are very popular here!

I also think the Loving Family one looks great.

My girls currently have no interest in the bigger dolls and dollhouses (barbie sized). They want things small. But, every child is different!

I know a lot of people like the looks of the wooden ones better (including me!) But, my girls really seem to prefer the more "realistic" look of the plastic ones. If I had to do it over, I would do Loving Family or Calico Critters. (or Lego, or Playmobil... ;) )

AmyCta
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
We have the one that was/is on sale at Land Of Nod. It is made by Plan Toys, I think it was called the Modern Dollhouse. I got some of the "decor" furniture sets (Plan Toys) for it, and their design works really well in it. (aesthetically and also functionally, with a younger child's hands and coordination) You don't need a full complement of every kind of furniture/accessory, either.

I bought it for $50 when my daughter was turning 2. It was, in my opinion, perfect for that age and she did like it a lot. She still plays with it (she will be five this week) but we have the Chalet dollhouse (also by Plan Toys and included furniture sets) for her.

I fully expect my twin boys (they are 7 months old right now) to use the "Modern Dollhouse" a lot once they are hitting the pretend play stage. It definitely was a good value for the money, had LOTS of play value, and held up well. It was easy for a young child to manipulate and enjoy. I think the Land Of Nod price is pretty attractive, too. (I bought it on a special closeout sale at Scholastic.com)

AmyCta
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
(By the way, the Chalet dollhouse "upgrade" was more my initiative than her desire. She still is happy playing with the Modern dollhouse, even though I got it because I thought it would be a good one for a two-year-old.)

hollybloom24
03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
I bought the Playmobil Grand Mansion with the expansion floor and furniture for my girls who will be four in May. It was not cheap - maybe $300-$325 when all was said and done - but I am hoping we get a lot of play value from it! My kids love the Playmobil 1-2-3 so I am hoping they love Playmobil for older kids too!

So while I can't speak to how big of a hit it is at our house, it's another option.

miki
03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
At 2yo, DD absolutely loved her FP Little People dollhouse. She would not have been able to play with a large dollhouse with all the furniture and such. DD is now 5 and I only recently replaced the Little People one with a large wooden one made by Plan Toys.