PDA

View Full Version : Tricycle or Bicycle

Nooknookmom
02-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Tricycle or 10-12 in bike w/ training wheels?

Dd, 21 mo, wants a "bi-ki-kle". DD1 rode on a 2-wheeler w/ training wheels by 2 and never really dug her tricycle.

I am worried about tipping on turns as DD2 has no fear.

WWYD? I looked at the green "kettler" tri and some others and a couple small bikes. I can't afford a $100 kettler at this time unless I find one on CL.

TIA

o_mom
02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Balance bike?

Otherwise, I would go with a cheaper tricycle. We have a Kiddio that isn't tippy at all. I would check on CL for some cheaper brands of tricycles.

WatchingThemGrow
02-22-2009, 10:23 PM
We've got a Kettler and DD hasn't had much outside time to master it. I'll put it in the kitchen tomorrow to give her more practice. BUT....she LOOOVES her balance bike and begs for it every time we're outside. It was a little big for her 2nd b'day and by 2.5 she started to feel more comfortable on it. Still hasn't mastered it, but I'm sure she will this summer.

I'd take a serious look at the green Kettler or one on CL.

Nooknookmom
03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm so old school...these newfangaled gadgets trip me up!

What's the benefit of a balance bike over learning to ride a regular 2-wheeler? Wouldn't the child have to re-learn on a regular bike? Is is confusing to learn on a balance bike and then throw in pedals and training wheels?

TIA!

o_mom
03-01-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm so old school...these newfangaled gadgets trip me up!

What's the benefit of a balance bike over learning to ride a regular 2-wheeler? Wouldn't the child have to re-learn on a regular bike? Is is confusing to learn on a balance bike and then throw in pedals and training wheels?

TIA!

The hardest part of learning to ride a regular bike is the balance - the concept that the faster you go, the better the balance. With a balance bike, they learn that first. Once they have the balance part down, it is very simple to learn to pedal (we also have a tricycle, so they are familiar with pedalling). You can skip the training wheels that way, which some kids can become dependant on and mentally have a hard time getting used to the idea of riding without them.

DS1 went from a balance bike to a regular bike with no training wheels in less than 30 min. I kid you not that we went to an empty parking lot and after 3-4 times of learning to start/stop with pedalling, he was cruising around with no problem. There was no running behind holding the bike up, no crashes, etc. He is the most cautious kid I know - I was really concerned that if he had training wheels, he wouldn't let go of them until he was 10 or so. :p DS2 is getting a bike for his 4th birthday in a couple months and from what he does on the balance bike, he will most likely learn just as fast. He actually could have done it last fall at 3.5, but I wanted to let DS1 have some time of being 'first' and then it got cold here.

KrisM
03-01-2009, 09:18 PM
DS1 went from a balance bike to a regular bike with no training wheels in less than 30 min. I kid you not that we went to an empty parking lot and after 3-4 times of learning to start/stop with pedalling, he was cruising around with no problem. There was no running behind holding the bike up, no crashes, etc. He is the most cautious kid I know - I was really concerned that if he had training wheels, he wouldn't let go of them until he was 10 or so. :p DS2 is getting a bike for his 4th birthday in a couple months and from what he does on the balance bike, he will most likely learn just as fast. He actually could have done it last fall at 3.5, but I wanted to let DS1 have some time of being 'first' and then it got cold here.

DS1 got a bike w/training wheels at age 3. DD got a balance bike last March, about 1.5 months before DS1 turned 4. DD had little interest in it, but DS1 loved it. Three days after turning 4, we took of his training wheels and off he went. There was about an hour of helping him get started and then his 5 year old friend showed him how to do that. Done.

DD still doesn't like the balance bike much and is now on the bike with training wheels. I hope she'll do the balance bike more as it gets warmer here.