PDA

View Full Version : Going to Europe...need stroller recs. Help! TIA

Ingrid0123
02-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone. I'm going to Paris in about 1 mth. I'm thinking about taking our MBUD...I know, some of you are probably thinking, What? That thing is HUGE :wink2: But, it's my favorite double and the only one I kept. I have a 3 and 5 year old. The 3 year old is average size, the 5 year old is a bit on the small side. I'm just wondering what to do...I know we will be walking a lot. I know that they will get cranky & need to sleep...maybe at the same time. The MB pushes so well...but, it's big. I even brought up buying another stroller to my DH. Not sure if I'm ready to take that plunge.

I'm new to this board. I used to belong to StrollerQueens board, but it has been a long time since I've had stroller questions. After I got my dream MBUS and MBUD, I just stuck with those two and my MacCLaren (sp?) single. These have worked for all of our needs so far. I apogogize for the long-winded question.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

bubbaray
02-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't take anything larger than a P3 to Paris. You need a small and nimble stroller to dodge all the dog poop. Soooo not kidding.

Take a P3 and have your older child use the step. You will be exceedingly unhappy with an MBUD in Paris.

Have a great vacation!

MamaBear
02-23-2009, 01:51 AM
We've visited family in Europe, plus lived in Europe for 6 months. Our son, by the time we moved back to Canada when he was 15 months, he'd visited 7 European countries aside from having lived in Germany. When we travel, we walk soooo much (I'm not sure my husband will ever forgive me for the 50km we walked during our four days in London!), so I think a good stroller for driver and passenger is essential. Our one-and-only is a Bugaboo Cameleon. I know the usual advice is to get a light, compact stroller for travel, but honestly, I couldn't imagine travelling without the comfort and features of this stroller. Even flying alone with my son, the 2-part fold hasn't been a problem during gate-checking. This stroller has been through London, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, up a Swiss Alp, on the Danish sandspit where the North Sea and the Baltic Sea meet, along the Danube, on ferries and trains and airplanes and trams and metros...

Just my 2 cents, but in my experience, travel calls for a comfortable stroller. If that's the MBUD for you, then go for it!

PS - I saw many many MBUDs in Germany!

reissgirl
02-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Paris... sounds great!

Keep in mind that trunks on European cars can be pretty small. If you're traveling by car at any point, that might be something to consider (also depends on how much luggage you have).

rl42382
03-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't take anything larger than a P3 to Paris. You need a small and nimble stroller to dodge all the dog poop. Soooo not kidding.

Take a P3 and have your older child use the step. You will be exceedingly unhappy with an MBUD in Paris.

Have a great vacation!

hi i did israel with a three year old and 9 month old we opted for a valco single with toddler seat for 2 weeks we did loads of walking and gated ched and everything i used myergo carrier and the valco woth the seat. the car trunks aare tinie and you are on your own so i say take the double and if you can gate check or buy there a light weight with a step or just one light weigh for indoor or traveling then you should be fine. the arir tires on tills and cobble stones cant be beat

ThreeofUs
03-06-2009, 08:01 AM
If you can, buy one there! The stroller and baby shops in Paris are fantastic, and now that the dollar is stronger, probably more affordable.

Get one of those awesome German foldies.

nfowife
03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
We live in Europe (Italy) and love our Phil and Ted Sport double. It would only work if one of your kids was small enough (weight wise, I mean) to go in the back seat. But my almost 4 year old is 37 lbs. and she still fits fine back there (I just don't put her back there for long periods of time, it's mostly for her brother who is 29 lbs.). The weight limit is 33 lbs. on the back seat.
We've traveled all over Europe with our PT Sport and it's worked really well. It has the footprint of a single but the capacity for 2 kids. Love it! We have the travel bag too and it's kept it very protected on airplanes as luggage. It fits fine in cars, too- the wheels pop on and off easily if need be.

JdrKuhnert
03-06-2009, 11:47 AM
If you do take a larger stroller, then be prepared to leave it outside in some places. Older buildings can have smaller doors and some places do not want "dirty" strollers inside especially this time of year. I know that some museums here in Berlin do not let anything larger than a P3 style in the museum and have some to borrow or rent. For leaving the stroller outside, you can thread a bike lock through the wheels and chassis.

MamaBear
03-06-2009, 12:58 PM
If you do take a larger stroller, then be prepared to leave it outside in some places. Older buildings can have smaller doors and some places do not want "dirty" strollers inside especially this time of year. I know that some museums here in Berlin do not let anything larger than a P3 style in the museum and have some to borrow or rent. For leaving the stroller outside, you can thread a bike lock through the wheels and chassis.

That reminded me, in Europe I've seen places that won't allow *any* strollers in, no matter what the size or type. There was a shop in Denmark that had a great sign to that effect.

baileygirl
03-07-2009, 02:36 AM
I haven't been to Paris since my son was born, but I did take him to London. I found it wasn't very stroller friendly (I brought my zippy). For example, a lot of the underground/train stations don't have elevators, so I would have to carry my son, stroller and diaper bag up and down stairs.

strollerqueen
03-07-2009, 03:38 AM
I haven't been to Paris since my son was born, but I did take him to London. I found it wasn't very stroller friendly (I brought my zippy). For example, a lot of the underground/train stations don't have elevators, so I would have to carry my son, stroller and diaper bag up and down stairs.

Did you see a lot of people using Maclarens then?

carolinamama
03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
We took DS1 to Paris (and London and Prague) 2 years ago. We took our Mac Quest and found that is did a GREAT job. It probably depends how much you are walking vs. taking the subway (is is metro in Paris? I can't remember) The stations are not stroller friendly at all with lots of stairs. We usually carried the stroller with ds in it up and down the stairs at stations - good thing we had a light one. I would lift the handles or front by the footrest and DH would get the other side. With two kids, I'm not sure exactly what I would recommend but I did want to tell you that we did great in Paris with a compact stroller. The only place we had issues was Prague with all the old cobblestone.

We also found London to be much more stroller-friendly than Paris. If you are walking lots with minimal or no train use, a big stroller would probably be fine.

happypooh
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
We went to Paris last summer with DS3.5y and DD 16 mths old and took a mac volo and a sit and stroll car seat. (we needed two car seats and this way we only had to bring another one car seat and just convert the sit and stroll when needed for the car.) Most of the time we just used the volo and I made my DS walk or put him in the stroller and wore DD in an ergo. The volo was awesome on the subway and buses. If I had to do it again with older kids I'd still go for two light weights unless you were planning on walking everywhere and not taking the subway or buses at all or if there was only one adult travelling alone. You could also do a buggster maybe with a hitch hiker board as that stroller would fit your older one when he's tired and then he could ride on the back and let the younger one sit in the seat. The only problem would be if you need both to nap at the same time...then you'll have to go back to two singles or trying a dedicated double. If I HAD to bring a double to europe I'd do the P&T..it's lighter than the MBUD for sure.

Ingrid0123
03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much everyone. I think we've decided to take the MBUS and the kiddyboard. DS 1 and 2 will just have to nap at different times...and I think DS 2 would be able to be in a sling if absolutely needed as he is 37 pounds. We're so excited to go and do have a lock etc.