PDA

View Full Version : Wii Fit?????????

newmomto1
02-23-2009, 02:08 AM
We just got a Wii :)
We have a couple games for DS (but DH & I are enjoying it too!).
I was wondering if anyone has Wii Fit??
What do you think of it?
Is it fun?
Really a workout??
I know NOTHING about it, so I'd love to hear...
I DEFINITELY need to start getting back into shape!!!!!!!!
TIA!!!!!!

o_mom
02-23-2009, 08:34 AM
It has some fun and challenging stuff, but I wouldn't say it is a great workout. Most of the stuff is in 2-3 min long sessions and then you have to choose again, so it breaks up the routine. I haven't found anything that is sustained activity, but I could be missing it.

I have heard great things about Active Life Outdoor Challenge for a workout, so you may want to look at that as well.

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2009, 11:02 AM
I agree with pp about Outdoor Challenge. I keep meaning to whip it out to add to my workout.

I wrote this review a few weeks ago:
My review...If you are already in shape I think it is not all that helpful. Most of the exercises aren't very challenging. I have unlocked all the aerobics and some are so easy (mainly the step aerobics). But, they are still fun. Hula hoop is quite a challenge! Today I ran again and in 10 minutes did 1.5 miles, much more normal than that 2 miles it said I ran the other day. I unlocked free run which allows me to run while watching the tv. I feel like a dork running in place but I get a workout in this activity. ETA- I have also unlocked a few of the other longer runs so I have been doing runs for most of my workout.

The yoga and strength exercises are pretty good. I haven't really done yoga before so I am beginner. I am into strength training so I can do those exercises with ease. They aren't very challenging.

I do enjoy working out with it though because I like having those goals. I need to x skill for x amount of time then it grades me. I don't know, it seems to motivate me to keep going, When I do DVDs I don't feel as motivated. I am one who does my best in classes so to have any kind of accountability is nice.

I have found the weight to be right on.

It has merit. I enjoy working out with it. It's not the same as going to the gym but for now (while I have a toddler who hates going to the gym nursery) it is at least something. :)

Beth

stillplayswithbarbies
02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
as you play it more, you unlock the harder stuff. The hula hoop is a good workout. The step isn't much if you are used to doing step with risers, but if you don't do step regularly it can be a workout especially once you unlock the advanced options. The running can be a good workout once you unlock the free run and can do it at your own pace for a long time.

Some of the balance games can be a good workout. There is one where you are in a bubble floating down a river and you really have to bend your legs and squat down to be successful at it. My quads and calves get quite a workout on that. At first you don't think it is really a workout until you realize what you have to do to make it work right.

I like that it gets the kids up and moving and even running. And if I don't have time to go to the gym, I can still get a workout in.

newmomto1
02-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the replies :)
I ordered one late last night.
I think DS will enjoy it too!
I used to work out all the time (jogging & going to the gym).
But, that was over 6 years ago.
I feel mushy & want to get back on track.
I think this will be a fun way to start :)

newmomto1
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I just wanted to post a quick update.
My Wii Fit arrived yesterday & I love it!
I can totally understand why some do not think it's a "major" workout.
If it were back in the day when I was jogging all the time & going to the gym every night I am sure I'd feel the same way.
But, these days I don't get to do that.
So, for me I think it will be great.
So far my fave is the hula hoop....it's SOOO fun :)
I think I'll really enjoy the running too since that used to be my "workout of choice" ;)

wellyes
02-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Just curious for those who have tried the Wii Fit - how does it compare to Dance Dance Revolution as a workout? I mean, I know for some kids DDR is a breeze but it's an aerobic workout for old lady me! Is Fit similar, or better?

Coral
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
If you want to make your fit more of a work out pick up one of the bootcamp discs. There are several exercise programs that are MUCH more of a workout then the program it comes with!