PDA

View Full Version : Spin off from the 24 hr Flight Bag

MOMMY2MITCHELLnTBD
02-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I didn't want to take over her post, so I thought I start my own. My situation is very similiar as I will be doing a 18 hour flight with my parents, DS (4 years old) and DD (8 months old)... but I will be flying home on my own with the DCs. I love my coach diaper bag because it's fashionable and fits everything that I need on a regular base but I think having a backpack style bag would be helpful for this trip.

My DH is allowing me to take this trip but is not allowing me to buy formula there so I will be packing all the formula for this trip. Which I can't complain its about 5 big cans.. I will check in all the formula but I will like to take 2 small cans with me in my carry on. I will have a double stroller (espirit duo) an Ergo carrier but no car seats.

I'm thinking of a wheely carry on for extra clothes for us, extra diapers & wipes, 2-3 bottle of water, bottle liners, the 2 small cans of formula, DS' portable DVD player, DVDs, leapster and games.

The diaper bag will need to hold the following:
2-4 bottles, 2 bottle of water, bottle liners, extra outfit for DD, diapers, wipes, burp cloth, snacks for both DC, juice boxes, sippy cups, baby food, spoon, teethers toys, medicine bag (pretty big bag of stuff) changing pad, my wallet, tickets, passport... I'm sure I'm missing something.

Can someone recommend a bag that will fit all that stuff and survive the bag being thrown around etc.

Thanks a bundle,

MOMMY2MITCHELLnTBD
02-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Or should I also get a backpack for my DS to carry his own stuff?

vonfirmath
03-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Why not buy formula there? is it Costco formula and you don't have a costco where you are going? Because transporting those cans is going to be heavy and bulky -- two things you don't want, even in checked bags, when flying. AND.. What happens if your luggage gets lost?

At the least, if he's serious, I'd ship the cans ahead to where you are going rather than taking with you.

Also -- how long are you going to be gone? When my baby was 4.5 months old, we flew back to Washington D.C for a week. We shipped 1 large can of Costco formula back ahead of us, and had a sample size can that filled and took for traveling (I was afraid he wouldn't eat any other flavor). We ended up, over that week, having him eat just over 1 full can of formula. So we had to buy Enfamil while out (we could have got Costco but we didn't know where it was and so went with convenient) and he finished that up just after we got home.

new_mommy25
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
The DadGear/DaisyGear backpack is amazing. It was recommended to me last time I posted about needing a bag for a 12 hour flight. It fits a TON of stuff and is surprisingly comfortable, even when filled. I was able to get lots of snacks in the first pocket, small toys in the second pocket, change of clothes for me and DC's, a small blanket, DVD player and case of DVDs in the main pocket, plus there are special areas for diapers, wipes, and bottles. I love it. I bought the Dad Gear bag so my DH would feel comfortable carrying it and he likes it too. When he saw the special wipes area he commented on what a great bag it is, and he has NEVER commented on or even noticed most other purchases I make.

MamaKath
03-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Dadgear/Daisygear, Outside Baby's Cooler Backpack and the Baby Sherpa are all great for carry on luggage. They are big, organized, and comfortable.

If you are getting a bag for dc, I would get a clear plastic one. They are great for a kid to be able to find the things they need inside. Here is one...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3220623

Swimfreak78
03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
<<My DH is allowing me to take this trip but is not allowing me to buy formula there so I will be packing all the formula for this trip. >>

Can you SHIP the formula and perhaps the water you need?

arhawgfan
03-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Having traveled with 4 month old twins from Florida to Europe (where we now reside), I understand your dilema. If you do take your forumla (which we did at the time until we could find a local source), I suggest removing it from the cans & placing it in double bagged Ziplocks. We did this in our checked luggage to help with the weight issue.