PDA

View Full Version : new mini van, what would you get?

jess_g
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
We are getting a new mini van (or a used late model one). We had a Toyota Sienna but a 16 year old decided to drive right into it at at least 30 miles per hour so now we need something else. Any recemendations for mini vans to consider besides Toyota or Honda (which are defenitly top on our list)? We would also consider a SUV but we realy need 3 rows of seating so 6 people can sit comfortably. I have heard that getting into and out of the third row in a SUV can be difficult and we would want the car seats in the middle row, so thats why we are leaning towards another mini van.

Thanks for the advice,

Jessica.

bluestarfish18
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Jessica,

Don't have any tips for you on which van to get (I despise our Ford Windstar), but I just hope everyone is ok after the accident. Yey for carseats!

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2009, 05:35 PM
The Odyssey gets high marks here and from people I know IRL. That's the one I would go with if I really needed something that big.

Beth

katydid1971
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
when we got our honda we only considered the honda or the toyota. We went with the honds 'cause it was honda clearance time (aug). I would get which ever gave you the better deal

spunkybaby
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
We've owned a 2004 Sienna and now have a 2007 Odyssey. Honestly, I miss my Sienna! I loved how I could tuck things like extra diapers under the third row seat. The Odyssey doesn't have the extra storage space. I also like how the 8th seat in the Sienna is a real seat with LATCH, unlike the Odyssey's Plus One seat.

JMHO!

geochick
02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd look at Honda, Toyota, then Kia...in that order:

Reviews:
http://www.consumersearch.com/minivan-reviews

AnnieW625
02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
If I were in the market now besides the Honda or Toyota I think I'd check out the VW Routan van, which they are promoting like crazy and are having a promo where you get 4 years or 48,000 miles worth of all included maintenence. It is a rebadged and much nicer Chrysler Town and Country, but it did get some favorable reviews a few months back on an auto show I saw on TV.

www.vw.com/routan/en/us/

Coral
02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
We just shopped them all and decided on the Nissan Quest. To me it was the most comfortable and drove the best. Of course we decided to one car it until the LO was born so we're still a few months away from purchase.

LarsMal
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
We have a Nissan Quest and I absolutely love it! It is very spacious. The kids are in the captain's chairs, so anyone who rides with us has to climb to the third row. We always hear how roomy it is back there, and very easy to climb in and around the kids' car seats.

I know the Honda and Toyota are the most popular, and Kia gets a good rating, but the Quest is worth looking into as well- IMO!

GL!

hellokitty
02-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda or Toyota. We have a Honda and like it, but after riding in my friend's Toyota, I feel like her minivan is fancier.

wellyes
02-23-2009, 07:08 PM
I test-drove a Kia and hated it - it has lots of features but not a lot of comfort, and it lacked visibility (an important issue for minivans).

I test-drove a Voyager too, and really liked it, especially the Stow-and-Go feature. Storage galore! But I would be hesitant to buy a Plymouth these days. Though if you're looking to bargain hunt I'm sure the American dealers, especially Plymouth, will give you the best deals since they are the most desperate. (But if you're looking for resale value, again, US automakers are not the best way to go).

From what I've researched the Ford minivan gets low marks all around.

AnnieW625
02-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Plymouth no longer exists; it's just Dodge, and Chrysler, and I think that Chrysler may have taken over all of the minivans.

bubbaray
02-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I love love love my Honda Ody. At the time I purchased, the Ody was much better buy than the Sienna, but I think they are closer now. I don't think you can go wrong with either.