PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Woman Food Question

3blackcats
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Hello wise BBB women!
I am 34 weeks pregnant. I know that I can not eat sushi because of the raw fish. But, can I eat veggie sushi like Avocado roll?

TIA (and I hope the answer is yes, lol)

JBaxter
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
I ate all kinds of sushi while pregnant ( not the sushimi just th rolls). My OB ok'd it. My fav was the dragon roll smoked eel & avacado. we didnt have it weekly but quite frequently

WatchingThemGrow
02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
When I asked, it was yes, as long as the ingredients were not raw fish. I LOOOOVE tempura shrimp rolls. Love them! We have a local place that has BOGO and I constantly resist the temptation to put their number in my cell.

geochick
02-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Yep. Have fun. Japanese pregnant women eat it all the time. So did I. Yum-o!

LarsMal
02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh yeah! I often satisfy my craving with an avocado roll or cucumber roll. Yummy!

3blackcats
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
:applause:
Thanks everyone! I know what I'll be having for dinner :)

frgsnlzrds
02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes! I love sushi! There are tons of cooked rolls out there that taste really good, too!

willow33
02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Okay...now you have me craving them too :)

elizabethkott
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
When I was pregnant, I would routinely get spicy california roll and sweet potato tempura roll... YUM!

bluestarfish18
02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a stifler for not consuming a drop of alcohol or caffeine throughout both pregnancies, but my my one downfall is eating all types of sushi like there was no tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if DD arrives as a piece of hamachi roll.

neeleymartin
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
i would ask about where they prepare and cut the sushi. at my local place, which is highly recommended, award winning, and tdf yummy, they could not guarantee no cross contamination. they prepare sushi(raw ingredients) on the same surfaces, with the same knives, etc as the cooked/safe stuff. too risky for me. i had the tempura and some miso soup and a side of rice.

last pregnancy my doctor told me that he would prefer me to drink a bottle of whiskey than to even so much as lick a piece of sushi.

cooked stuff is fine, but make sure you know that it is safely prepared. as far as the japanese women comment, that fish is SUPER fresh. caught the same day. that doesn't convince me. i wish it did, there is nothing i like more than sushi!!!!! YUUUUUMMMMMMYYYYYY

sorry to be a party pooper. :(

DrSally
02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
I ate veggie sushi, why not? If you do decide to eat fish, I'd stay away from the tuna, as I read a survey in the NY Times that tuna roles (don't remember which kind) from many very reputable/upscale sushi restaurants in NY had super high levels of mercury.

mommylamb
02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
I gave up all sushi while pregnant because I was worried about cross contamination... it was so sad. I really love sushi. But listening to you ladies, maybe I was doing that unnecessarily. Next time I may eat veggie sushi or cooked sushi like shrimp or eel (I love eel).