PDA

View Full Version : Quick!

swrc00
02-23-2009, 06:31 PM
I would post this in Butts!, but I need a quick answer. DS has terrible diaper rash and the doctor suggested not using wipes. What should I send to daycare? Washclothes? Any suggestions?

TIA

Susan

rlu
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
When at home when DS had a rash we used baby washclothes or cloth wipes. Sending to daycare may mean the loss of those, but it's the best solution I can think of.

cono0507
02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
When we are on vacation last year, DD got a terrible diaper rash and we stopped using wipes. We didn't have a way to really wash washcloths so we bought a roll of Viva paper towel and just wet those and used them. The Viva towels are pretty soft and durable and worked well. Daycare could probably just do that if you bring some of those.

ThreeofUs
02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I'd get a ton of baby wash cloths, wash well, and send those. My 2nd choice would be 7th generation wipes that I had filled/drained of warm water a few times - but with instructions to rinse well before using.

hellokitty
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
When we are on vacation last year, DD got a terrible diaper rash and we stopped using wipes. We didn't have a way to really wash washcloths so we bought a roll of Viva paper towel and just wet those and used them. The Viva towels are pretty soft and durable and worked well. Daycare could probably just do that if you bring some of those.

That. Ideally, I would just wash baby's butt in the sink, but the daycare probably won't be too keen on that...

Also, if your baby needs a barrier, I like aquaphor.

lizajane
02-23-2009, 08:30 PM
papertowels out, washcloths at home.

also, put some baking soda in the bath. really helped us with rashes.

scoop22
02-23-2009, 08:35 PM
papertowels out, washcloths at home.

also, put some baking soda in the bath. really helped us with rashes.

we tried baking soda for ds1. it was a horrible experience. i think it was b/c he had open sores. he screamed so loud!!! but it worked for a friend of mine...

we used washcloth at home as well.

MontrealMum
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Paper towels with water only, and baby washclothes, also water only. You may find that your daycare will not do either though :(

Ours has strict rules and procedures for cleaning, and does communal wipes. Imagine my shock in finding out that I'd been supplying the whole room with rather expensive mailordered 7th Generations which I'd bought for DS' sensitive skin! At ours they go through one box for all the kids, then move onto another. So, I'd ask the daycare what their procedure is before you get too freaked or go to too much effort.

We love Sudocream for fixing severe diaper rash., also like Aquaphor, as well as naked time (when he was non-mobile!) and lots of powder. A hairdryer on the cold/cool setting is good for getting skin totally dry. I have actually kept DS home a few times to get a handle on his diaper rash in order to keep all the chemicals etc. off his skin.

Hope your DS feels better soon!

vludmilla
02-23-2009, 09:31 PM

This is what I was going to suggest. We used paper towels and warm water (we had an insulated pump type of dispenser) when DD had a long term diaper rash problem last year. We also used washcloths but the paper towels were handy for certain time and would be great for day care.

vludmilla
02-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes, another vote for Aquaphor. It has consistently worked on even the worst diaper rash and we've had it so bad were were going to pediatric dermatologist and nothing they supplied was as effective as the Aquaphor and air time.

swrc00
02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks so much for everyone's advice. A + D seems to be taking care of the rash. I think I will try to send paper towels tomorrow and see if they will use them. You guys are awesome!!!

Tondi G
02-24-2009, 12:54 AM
I also was going to suggest Aquaphor... over A+D! Havey ouever used Triple Paste? That stuff ROCKS! Put it on at bedtime and my little ones often had no rash in the morning!

http://www.sumlab.com/Diaper-Rash/28/