PDA

View Full Version : need advice: sick DS and OB visit

LarsMal
02-23-2009, 09:34 PM
My glucose test is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I had planned on taking DS to p/s and taking DD with me. Of course, DS came down with the flu on Friday. He had a positive flu test at the peds on Saturday, and his symptoms are fever and general yuckiness/grumpiness...oh, and whining (are those symptoms?!).

I am already a week late for my test. My OB let me schedule it for 29 weeks to make sure our new insurance had kicked in- which it has. She didn't want me to go beyond what I ended up scheduling.

I just don't think I should take a sick DS into a waiting room full of pregnant women tomorrow. My friend told me her ped said the flu was only contagious for the first 48 hours. Has anyone else heard that? I would think as long as he still has a fever he's contagious.

I'm thinking I should just call my OB in the morning and see if I can push it back to the end of the week (and hope I'm not sick at that point!). I don't see how three more days will make a huge difference if I'm already a week behind schedule.

WWYD?

**Oh, and I don't have anyone who can come and watch him. No family around, DH is out of town, and the friend I would normally ask to help me out just found out she's pregnant- and her girls are getting over the flu, too, so I'm sure that's not an option!.

o_mom
02-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Call and reschedule. Nobody wants the flu in the waiting room there, or a sick cranky child (and I'm sure he won't want to be there either. Worst case scenerio, have them write you a script and take it to a lab on the evening/weekend. That's what I ended up doing last time when they screwed up the scheduling for the week I had a sitter. Just look at what labs are in your network and call around to find out who has evening/weekend hours - many that are at a hospital will do that.

3blackcats
02-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Can you call the OB's office in the morning and explain that you don't want DS in the waiting room? My OB's office sent me home with the drink so I could do the hour waiting at home, not at the dr's office. Then, after the hour, you could just walk in and have your blood drawn. DS wouldn't have to wait in the waiting room and could go right back with you.

KrisM
02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Can you call the OB's office in the morning and explain that you don't want DS in the waiting room? My OB's office sent me home with the drink so I could do the hour waiting at home, not at the dr's office. Then, after the hour, you could just walk in and have your blood drawn. DS wouldn't have to wait in the waiting room and could go right back with you.

Yeah, that's what I'd do. I took the drink home for all three pregnancies and they were with different OBs each time. Not a problem. I just drank it and then drove in and told them the time that I drank it. They did the blood draw at the appropriate time.

Maybe you could go in and get the drink and then go to the car or somewhere else to wait the hour. No reason it has to be there.

LarsMal
02-24-2009, 12:31 AM

I think I'll do that. I had my monthly check scheduled for tomorrow as well. I was supposed to go in around 9:30, drink, have my appointment at 9:50, and then do the blood draw before I left.

I'm going to call in the morning and see if I can run in and grab the drink, let the kids watch a movie in the car or something, and then take them in to have blood drawn. I'll reschedule my appointment for later in the week.

Never a dull moment!!