PDA

View Full Version : Kozy vs. beco?

lightlyric
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi all,

I cannot seem to decide whether to purchase a Beco butterfly II or the Kozy carrier. I want something that I can wear on back or front and is easy to put on and transfer between those positions. I like that the Kozy has the option to wear front facing out, but I don't know whether I'd use that too much. My son is 4 mos and 16 lbs; I'd like to be able to use the carrier through toddlerhood and also with a second child from birth.

From what I've read, I think these are both great options. The only other carrier I've used is a Moby and I want something simpler with more structure. I'm average height and size (5'5" and 135 lbs), and have some lower back problems. I've also tried the Bjorn (regular, not sport) and found it to really strain my upper back. I've tried an Ergo and liked it pretty well, but I hear that it's hard to get it into the back position by yourself which would be a problem. There isn't a store locally that carries the Beco or the Kozy, so I am sort of at a loss as to which to order. Any input? Thanks so much!

ang79
02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
They both sound like either would work well for you. My experience with carriers is that you just need to try different ones out to find out what is best for you, because what one person loves might not be as comfy, easy, etc. for you.

If you go to thebabywearer.com you'll read both good and bad things about both (most will be positive since they are both top quality carriers of course). You could always try to buy one or both used to try them out, then resell if it doesn't work for you.

I personally have not tried the Beco but am loving mei tais for my 3 mos. old and have been wearing her since she was a week old. I like the easy adjustability (no buckles to thread through), they fold up fairly compactly for storage/travel, easy to clean in washing machine, can nurse fairly discreetly, and it was very easy for me to use the first time. I do have a beautiful new Kozy that I bought new and tried on. The wider, more padded straps were very comfy and the canvas seems like it would hold up well over time and be supportive for older children. But, I'm in need of money right now and already have two other brands of mei tais that I like, so am selling the Kozy since its still new. PM me if you're interested!

lightlyric
02-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input! I actually decided to go with the Beco.

AnnieW625
02-26-2009, 06:25 PM
You will love your Beco! I have a Beco Butterfly 1 and I bought it when DD was 2 years old; I know very late to the game, but DD loves to use it for walks. DH doesn't mind the print either (I have a turquoise print one) and uses the carrier more than I do now. I tried the Beco and the Ergo and much preferred the Beco for my low back issues too. I am about the same size as you.

cath_b
03-10-2009, 02:49 PM
In any instructional videos for back capable carriers they all suggest that the baby be at least 6 months old to be back carried.

I have seen a lot of video demo on YouTube on back carry for wrap and mei tai type carriers. I think you should check them out. Personally, I don't think I'll be comfortable doing it all by myself because my (now 18 mo old) was not the "stay-in-one-place" type of baby at 7 months. He was too quick for me. So if I were to put him on my back before I could tighten or tie the wrap or mei tai, he might have fallen already.

I suggest the Beco Butterfly 2 because they have an insert that will hold them in place and transitioning from front to back carry is so much easier with the added safety of the insert. I was turned away from the wraps and mei tais because of all the fabric that would dangle on the floor/ground if I were to use it outside of my home. I don't have that problem with the Beco, they have buckles.

My son loved his Bjorn Air Carrier (breathable fabric) and was comfortable in it but DH was not. Always complained that it hurt his back. He is 6' and I'm 5'5". I personally did not have a problem with our Bjorn but DH did. Also Bjorn has a low weight limit (26 lbs if I'm not mistaken). So much money for so little use. Beco has a weight limit of 45 lbs. So for baby#2, we're doing it differently to accommodate DH's poor back. :)

Hope this helps.

P.S. For great prices on Beco and other carriers, check out babysnazz.com (http://www.babysnazz.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=43_244) This is where I actually got my hotsling and Beco Butterfly 2.