PDA

View Full Version : Those with organized houses...

KrisM
02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
how do you do it?

I so want to be organized and have everything in its place. But, I don't have places for everything. I have made a lot of progress in the kitchen space and keeping it, and most of the main floor, pretty nice, but I completely run out of time for the rest of the house. I end up power cleaning our bedrooms every couple of weeks.

I know part of my problem is that I am picking up after all 5 of us. I know I need to get DH and the kids to help. But, I also need good organizing ideas so I can teach them.

please help.

Melaine
02-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I wonder if anyone will answer. I certainly cannot respond as one with an organized home.....

Octobermommy
02-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Can't help you too much but I do think the key is to put back everything when you are done with it. Otherwise too much "stuff" is out and not in its place.

KrisM
02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Can't help you too much but I do think the key is to put back everything when you are done with it. Otherwise too much "stuff" is out and not in its place.

But not everything has a place. How do you actually find a place for everything? I have spaces for a lot of things, but what about transient things? Mail? School stuff? Art projects?

LarsMal
02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I've been told my house is organized, but I don't always feel that way! Everything definitely has it's place, but how often it gets there is another issue!

I can't stand clutter so everything *has* to have a home!

I'm trying to think of how I do it, though, and I don't really know how to explain it! The kids' playroom has a bookshelf and one of those Target bin organizers. DS has a train table against the wall. Underneath are plastic bins with other sorted toys in them. We have an empty bedroom on our main level. That closet has another organizer in it with a few open shelves and a few canvas bins. The overflow of books goes in there along with games/toys the kids don't play with as often. I am just waiting for the kids to start HELPING me pick up all the crap!

The kids' rooms stay pretty organized b/c I don't allow toys in their rooms. DS has his guitar in there so DD doesn't destroy it, and DD has her doll cradle and a few dolls in her room, but that's it. Laundry gets folded and put away as soon as it's done.

The more I sit here and think about it, the more I realize I have a ridiculous number of plastic bins- all shapes and sizes!!

LarsMal
02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
But not everything has a place. How do you actually find a place for everything? I have spaces for a lot of things, but what about transient things? Mail? School stuff? Art projects?

I have one of those wooden bill organizers. I have it sitting on our wooden filing cabinet in DH's office. I sit the mail in front of the bill organizer if I can't get to it right away. At some point during the day, though, I have to go through it. Catalogs I know I don't want go right in recycling, bills get sorted. Magazines/keeper catalogs go into the magazine rack, there are a couple I keep on the coffee table. If it's something for DH I leave it on the filing cabinet for him to look through. Junk gets recycled or trashed.

If we didn't do it this way our mail would end up in three different rooms and bills would get lost (learned that one the hard way!).

kijip
02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
I know it sounds neurotic (I am the first to admit to a little insanity on this issue) but the only thing that works for us is this: if I don't have a place for it, I don't have it at all. If you find yourself power cleaning every few weeks, it could be that you just have too much stuff out and about. The first thing I thought about when we were growing into this system is "Do I need this at all, ever?" and then "Do I need this out all the time?" Need is loosely defined as sure, I don't need my records like I need food but we listen to them all the time, so include your this-is-a-want-a-truly-get-enjoyment-from. Using that over time, you can shed the excess stuff that is causing the clutter. We put things away in the garage we don't need all the time and we get rid of things we don't need at all. Before buying any storage or building any shelves, I think it helps to do a brutal decluttering. Then just organize the stuff you truly care about. And keep getting rid of stuff as it outlives it usefulness to you. If you are a saver, dedicate a couple of closed off spots to keep stuff you don't need but just can't see getting rid of. Check back in a year and see if you have changed your mind, I know I put stuff in the garage I think I want to keep and then later see it in the garage and go, ummm I am getting rid of that right now.

Honestly what sparked this for us was about 7 years ago moving from a 4 bedroom craftsman house we shared in college with my younger brother to a single room studio with no extra space. We had WAY too much stuff. Since that studio, each living space has been bigger but we use the same decluttering/does this need to go in my house at all litmus test to keep it (mostly) under control.

One example for us: we had a $300 gift card to a co-op artist pottery place. We found a vase that is nicer than the one that was on the mantle that we both loved. We brought it home, does not work to have both there and the spot where our extra vases are in the dining room was full. We really don't need one more vase, but the newest one is nicer so we got rid of an old one that day. Sure an extra vase lying around is not going to kill anyone but a vase+ an extra of a lot of other things is going to be hard to keep organized and clean. Added bonus: I really like the ones we do have. I have no vases that I am so-so about. I got rid of one I really liked, but I like this new one a lot more. I think it is easier to keep things clean when you really like your house and the things in it are valued and to varying degrees brighten your day/life in some way. Obviously I could live without any vases if push came to shove.

I get a lot of comments that our house is "so clean" (trust me, it's not that clean!) that we must work really hard. No, we just have a system in place that lets us keep it looking clean and uncluttered while being mostly lazy about housework.

Transient solutions:

Mail- open over recycling and shredder. Make a point to toss stuff you do need for a bit (a favorite catalog or whatever) right after you read it. Bills go in a binder in the office. We splurged on a nice wall organizer thing with write on calendars recently to help. I needed to visualize the week shaping up with appointments for me, F, mom, J's work and school, my school, T's school etc.

Art projects- for flat stuff, we have a few strategies. There is a letter tray on T's craft table where things go he is done with. Periodically, we go through it and toss the stuff we don't want. The stuff that we do want gets put in a binder that is on his bookshelf in his bedroom. He also has room for 2 or so things he can magnet to the fridge. When a new one comes along, one of the old goes away (either to the recycle or the binder). For easel stuff, it gets cut off when something great is finished and the great thing goes on the wall for a bit with tape and the rest of the used portion with nothing to save gets recycled. When something has been up for a bit, it gets recycled unless it is something J wants to save and then he dates it and puts it in his old black student portfolio bag we re-purposed for T's stuff. This lives out of sight, behind the couch actually. Non flat stuff gets put on the mantle or in his room on a shelf and then tossed when stuff comes up behind it. We have snapped a picture of a few of these when we tossed them for memories sake but not kept them. Exception has been a few holiday themed ones that get stored in the garage with the decorations and brought out annually. J is the guiding force behind keeping any of this stuff, so we have struck a lot of compromises along the way. He softens me a bit and I prevent him from keeping 47 nearly identical drawings done in the same week, LOL.

School stuff- this lives in his backpack or at his craft table. The stuff for us comes out out the folder and signed and put back in the folder in his backpack OR if it is information only and we need to keep it, it goes in the office. Later when I am filing I can decide if it needs to be kept long term. Exception would be calendars and reading logs but they have their spots on the fridge.

niccig
02-24-2009, 02:05 PM
My house was in better shape 2 years ago, then I fell off the organized bandwagon and I'm trying to climb back on.

I learned to attack one problem area at a time, work out a new system and you have to keep it for at least a month before it becomes habit. Then attack a new problem.

If your problem is mail, check it every day, junk immediately to trash can, then I have a desk top file with hanging folders. One is for to pay, to file, to do, receipts. I put the mail in the appropriate folder and I pay the bills once a week. I normally put the paid bills in the to file section, and about once every 2 months, I file those into the filing cabinet (I need to get better on this part). The trick I found with mail was to only have one place where it could be - either in the mail box or in my desk top file, otherwise I could never find a bill that I know we got. The system works until DH opens the mail though!

For other bits of paper, I have a few 3 ring folders. One for DS's stuff, one for house related, one for the big projects I"ve got under way, and one for my things. I was desperately searching for an inspection report and couldn't find it, because I actually put it away in the Project folder where it belonged. So expect for a little while to have more problems as some things will be in the new system and others won't be there yet.

I'm going over my filing cabinet with the permanent files, as I putting together a fire safe/safety deposit box etc. So it's my project for this month.

My main problem that I'm still grappling with is DS's toys. With Christmas and Birthday on the same day, we got too much stuff. I did a purge before the holidays, but it didn't help. I need to purge more, and I need to make DS put things away before pulling out a new toy. You need to purge before you can organise.

Oh,, and what a PP said about always putting things away - that is so true. When we don't let the counter tops or the table become a dumping ground, and put things away, it definitely helps. As I'm trying to get organized again, the house is a little messier, but I'll get it back together. And when it was better, DH did put things away - eg. toys got put in correct bin as I had signs on them, rather than just dumped anywhere as it currently is.

ETA. Art stuff from school. I have 2 curtain wires hanging in the hallway to put things up for display, so some goes there straight away. The remainder goes in a plastic bin. Sometimes I send some things to family. Every now and then I sort through the plastic bin and toss art that we're not keeping when DS can't see me do it. At the end of the year, I look through what was on display and I put 4-6 pieces into an art portfolio - I got a big one so that the big pieces of paper fit.

m448
02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
My house is not minimalist, nor showroom clean but it is decently organized for having 5 people in it. What helped was reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Organizing-Inside-Out-Julie-Morgenstern/dp/0805056491

She did something I hadn't seen done in any of the other get organized books I'd read. She teaches you how to organize things in the way YOU use them. She's not big on telling you what to get rid of or where to put it. Instead she follows the kindergarten classroom arrangement theory of organizing small stations of stuff WHERE you use it. So if you're like me, and you tend to get the inkling to pluck your eyebrows while sitting in the living room watching the evening news then she would encourage you to put a small case/basket/etc. near your couch with your tweezers, mirror and a light if you need it. It does you no good to have them in the bathroom tossed in some junk drawer if you don't use them there. That way it's always where you need it, and right there to be put away as well.

My kitchen is where the method is truly put to good use. I have a small kitchen (comfortable enough for one adult to work but two gets kind of cramped). I have a corner area of the counter set up with the mixer and food processor. The cabinet right below I had DH install a pull out stainless drawer that holds all my flours, and most of my baking ingredients. On the top shelves of that cabinet are my baking pans. The cabinet above the counter hold my mixing bowls, liquid measuring cups and hung on command hooks along the wall are my measuring cups and spoons. So when I bake bread, sweets, etc I can get in that area, pull fresh stuff from the fridge and go to town without having to retrieve stuff from opposite ends of the house. My spices are in tins that magnetically adhere to the front of the fridge. I have two large utensil crocks - one by the stove with all the utensils we use to cook and another by the bakings station with my spatulas and mixing spoons. By the stove I keep an extra set of measuring cups and spoons so I can bake and cook without having to run out of measuring tools.

I took pics of the setup about 3 years ago when I totally redid the current kitchen after some small appliance purchases if you'd like to see them. With everything having a home people who empty the dishwasher tend to ask if they're not sure where something goes. I don't keep extra stuff in the kitchen that doesn't get used. I have a very Alton Brown approach to my setup.

AngelaS
02-24-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm cutting down on the amount of stuff. If I don't have a spot for it--out it goes. I'm finding having less stuff means I have less to maintain which means less time cleaning. I have a ways to go, but I'm plugging away. :)

sste
02-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Go to the Container Store if you have one near you. Make a list of all their cool stuff - - you will get tons of ideas just going through the aisles. You can either then spend your life's savings there, which is generally what I do since its only a mile from my house, or go to target and ikea and buy cheaper versions of what you see.

Also, we found that our organization problems were due in part to not having enough furniture with drawers or cabinets so we bought some which helped enormously.

Organizing closets can be helpful - - rubbermaid sells a pretty affordable kit that is kind of like the Container Store elfa stuff.

Last, just throw stuff out. We removed eight garbage bags of papers/donatables etc last month and I haven't missed a single bit of it . . .

m448
02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
oh and it's an ongoing process. I'm constantly looking at areas that because of changing needs become "hot spots" that need to be organized or I need to come up with a solution.

HIU8
02-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I cannot function in clutter. It makes me nervous and upset and I actually start to itch. So, needless to say, our house is fairly organized. Everything has a place. We do not have tons of dust collectors around. All toys get put away at night by myself, DH as well as DD and DS. I have bins. I have storage units, cabinets in strategic places, a shed in the backyard etc... I also have a ton of cabinte space in my kitchen (I know of several items that will be leaving my kitchen by the end of this month as a matter of fact b/c we just don't use them anymore). If there is no room for something, it must not be necessary, so it goes. DH is not like me. He comes in and things drop wherever. We have a system worked out that I pick it up and put it in a pile. He has 3 days to go through the pile or it's trashed after I go through it with him. Every 6 months we do a massive emptying of the basement for salvation army (thank you MIL for the constant flow of unwanted furniture. The salvation army and DH and I are helping to make someone a really nice home. We don't need it. We have furniture that is just fine.).

I do projects and keep everything in my office space upstairs. Even with that I have bins/piles etc... to make it all neat and organized for myself.

I have a BIL with a hoarding disorder and a MIL with 40 years of stuff that never left the house. I'm basically the opposite. I find it hard to be in someones house who has a lot of clutter. I am just not comfortable.

lizajane
02-24-2009, 02:52 PM
i can't believe i thought i even deserved to open a thread addressed at organized people... i bought a label maker. about 2 years ago. i still haven't put batteries in it.

ha.

egoldber
02-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I have spaces for a lot of things, but what about transient things? Mail? School stuff? Art projects?

The mail and school papers are my downfall.

Our problem is DH and I are responsible for separate sections of the mail. He does all the bills and there is no system. So they pile up until he gets to them. And he takes any suggestion of having a system as a personal affront.

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I swear I have thought about taking a picture of my dining room table and asking you organizing gurus what you would do with my stuff. The dining room table has become such a catch all that it takes me almost 20 minutes (sometimes more) twice a week to clean it off. It drives me batty.

I'm good with the mail because my paper recycling bin is right under the mail slot so I sort it right away. I take the bills straight over to my computer to be paid that day. Paid bills go into one of those file organizing bins that has 12 slots. I keep the whole year's worth of bills, EOBs from the health insurance and anything else like that in there.

I have a storage box on the built in in my dining room for membership infos, ds activity things, school phone lists and other important school papers (stuff that is pertinent for the whole year- weekly stuff goes on the fridge), reciepts, house stuff... I keep it there because I realized I was using that surface for that sort of thing naturally so I decided to roll with it.

I want my friend to come over and really hel me figure out what to get rid of. They have so much less stuff than we do and I don't know how they do it. Of course, one day I opened her breadbox when I was looking for bread and found tons of random crap in there- and no bread. It made me feel better that she isn't totally perfect. :)

I just waffle too much on "do I really need this?". I'm trying.

Beth

MoJo
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
I have some of the same questions as the OP that I haven't seen answered yet: How do you establish places for things to begin with?

DH & I both come from disorganized homes, and we're both packrats to some extent. The house is driving us nuts, and with DD very close to becoming mobile, I've GOT to get it cleaned up. DH FINALLY gave me permission & encouragement to do this a couple of weeks ago -- before, he complained when I tried.

I've been doing massive decluttering . . . a bag a day either for trash or donations. But there are whole categories of things that I don't know where to put them. Such as tools (who knows where you're going to use them? And if they are too far away, they won't get used!). Games (there's definitely no extra storage space in the kitchen, which is where we're most likely to play them). "Office" type stuff. . . does it go in my desk, his desk, or the eBay shipping area? Books . . . do cookbooks go in the kitchen (and if so, where?) And what room is most appropriate for bookshelves? (We're both book lovers, and we tend to like books that we can't get at the library) Shoes? (I tend to think they belong in the bedroom closet, but I can't get DH to keep his there)

I know we don't have enough storage furniture, and we can't get any right now.

Also, what do you do with things you're not currently using, but LOOKING FORWARD to using? I've been dreaming of being able to spend time at home with my family for a long time, and buying/saving things for that time (like kitchen supplies for baking cakes and making cookies with DD).

FLYlady.net has been helpful in learning to declutter, but I'm far from being out of what she calls CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome)

nupe
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
i can't believe i thought i even deserved to open a thread addressed at organized people... i bought a label maker. about 2 years ago. i still haven't put batteries in it.

ha.

I have a label maker too. And I used to use it. I have nicely labeled tupperware for many pantry staples. (But sometimes the label is too long to fit the item, then I have to reprint in another font, etc. I hate reprinting!) So for pantry items, I now label with PostIt Tabs (red ones from costco.com nowadays)! I had been using them to label EBM for daycare, so they were already in my kitchen. Just write with a ball point pen (someitmes I use an extrafine sharpie from staples if I need it to be darker) and it is ready in a few seconds. No batteries required. I even use them in my fridge to label foods/dates, etc. They stick pretty well and I haven't had trouble with residue yet!

ETA: What I meant to say is POST IT TAPE FLAGS
And thanks again to the poster on this board who recommended using post it tape flags to label EBM bottles (no residue even if label goes through sterilizer/dishwasher by mistake!!).

LarsMal
02-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I have some of the same questions as the OP that I haven't seen answered yet: How do you establish places for things to begin with?

Such as tools (who knows where you're going to use them? And if they are too far away, they won't get used!). Games (there's definitely no extra storage space in the kitchen, which is where we're most likely to play them). "Office" type stuff. . . does it go in my desk, his desk, or the eBay shipping area? Books . . . do cookbooks go in the kitchen (and if so, where?) And what room is most appropriate for bookshelves? (We're both book lovers, and we tend to like books that we can't get at the library) Shoes? (I tend to think they belong in the bedroom closet, but I can't get DH to keep his there)

I know we don't have enough storage furniture, and we can't get any right now.

Also, what do you do with things you're not currently using, but LOOKING FORWARD to using? I've been dreaming of being able to spend time at home with my family for a long time, and buying/saving things for that time (like kitchen supplies for baking cakes and making cookies with DD).

FLYlady.net has been helpful in learning to declutter, but I'm far from being out of what she calls CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome)

Tools- in the garage. We keep a couple screwdrivers in a small drawer in our armoir in our bedroom, and the hammer/another screwdriver or 2 in a cabinet in the laundry room

Games- We keep ours upstairs in a closet. Do you have any sort of media cabinet? How big is your pantry? You could keep them on a shelf in your pantry if you have room and play most games in your kitchen. In our old house we kept the ones we played more often in our coat closet.

Office stuff- Put it in the desk of the person who will need/use it most. DH keeps all of his stuff in his office, along with our filing cabinet and bills. My desk is upstairs in the playroom- with the computer. It has a small hutch on it with four drawers. I keep anything I may need in those drawers, as well as a few things in the printer table drawer. We have a plastic three drawer thing in a spare closet that we keep all computer-related stuff in (manuals, cords, etc.)

Books- DH is a collector of books, so we have shelves in various rooms of the house. Cookbooks are kept in the kitchen. The ones I use a lot I keep in the cabinet next to the stove. I also have a hutch in my kitchen, Ikea, I think. It is tall and narrow, a cabinet underneath and glass doors up top. I keep some cookbooks in there on display. The others are in the pantry on a shelf I can get to, but kept away when I don't need them.

Shoes- I don't allow shoes to be worn in the house! I got a couple of wood stacking shelves from Target that I put in the floor of our coat closet. Shoes are kept on those shelves. Once seasons change, I change mine out so I have my go-to seasonal shoes right where I need them. Same with the kids.

HTH!

Octobermommy
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM

I just bought something that I keep my mail in, it has two slots, I keep one for bills and the other for well other. Our art projects go under the china in the cabinet. School stuff same thing unless it is a notice which goes on the fridge or above the microwave.

WatchingThemGrow
02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Haven't gotten to read all the posts, but I skimmed and saw that someone asked about mail. After reading that Julie Morganstern book (LOVE IT!!!!)
I created this system for mail/incoming papers in my classroom. I set it up here at home too!

Get these large magazine files (got mine at Walmart) http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewitemsAct.asp?classlabel=JEAA&manufactlabel=1700268&SKU=RUB40614ROS&gb=1 Involve DH in the process so he has some ownership/understanding/pride in it.

set up a mail center with them:
one for You - with 5x7 index cards decorating the front with huge letters
one for DH
one for junk mail/recyclable stuff
one for magazines you may read
one for stuff to give to other people

Find some space where you can put them at eye or hand level. Ours are on a shelf in the coat closet where we naturally go when we come in. It has been working WONDERFULLY for almost 6 years now. I only deal with the incoming mail (unless it is something handwritten/important/personal) maybe once a week. All bills go into DH's and he's better about checking in his box on a more routine basis. He knows all bills are there and stay there until he tosses them.

I am in no way qualified to respond in this thread, but I'm learning how to be more organized and this is one thing that has REALLY worked here.

ETA: I got one of the desk apprentice (http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&noredir=true&catalogId=10051&productId=130525&cmArea=) things from Staples after reading about it here, and it has effectively tamed the paper monster that was hovering around our kitchen table - stuff that wasn't really mail-related, that I needed during the week - coupons, babysitting co-op lists, incoming papers for DC from church, thank you notes, random pictures, receipts, meal planning info, address labels, stamps, etc. We have no office, so everything has to be handy and in view.

kijip
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Some more thoughts:

-Games- in a stack on a shelf in our dining room. We play them at the dining room table so having them close makes the most sense.

-Tools live on a shelf in the garage BUT I do have a screwdriver and a hammer and a few fasteners in the back of one kitchen drawer.

-Laundry hampers are a must. Even if the laundry is backed up, it just feels better to have it off the floor 100%. Unless you love laundry and do it happily and all the time, I think people need as many hampers as all their clothes will fill. If you have more clothes than will fit in your hampers, get more hampers or get rid of some clothes. We have 1 for T, 1 for F, a few for us and 2 for the house. It has made everything LOOK better, even when it is not. :) And it is more manageable to keep up on the laundry because it is all presorted in the hampers.

bethie_73
02-24-2009, 05:14 PM

ha.

liza.... i think we were separated at birth.

m448
02-24-2009, 05:31 PM
I do have a label maker but mostly break it out for permanent storage (like those spice tins I keep on my fridge and my baking containers for flours/ingredients. For leftovers I keep a roll of wide masking tape and a sharpie in my kitchen drawer right next to the stove. I just label what's in it and the date it was stored.

For art projects I keep a picture line on their room to hold current/beloved items. Once we need room for more I take a pic of them holding it up and recycling. In the future I might mail them to grandparents or use them as wrapping paper for kids and those same loving grandparents.

For the games you just have to make a choice. Find a basket where you could stand them up on end and easily get to them in the kitchen or in the meantime live with them in a less than ideal place. I understand though. There are some hot spots in my home now that are not being resolved until I find something suitable and affordable on craigslist.

For mail that goes in hubby's office. That's his domain. I've helped him reorganize it but only when asked as it really has to be set up by the puppet master (aka user LOL). But he doesn't try to reorganize my sewing room either. ;)

For school stuff you could do what I did for their "school supplies" (we homeschool so it's their crayons, markers, scissors, case, notebook, tape, etc.) and designate a stand or bookshelf with a bin or basket for each child. That way there's no excuse and their stuff has a home. I also luuuurve those command hooks. I bought some metal looking ones and hung them up at their height for their winter coats. I did the same in their rooms for their backpacks (which double as firefighter pretend and for actual going out).

lizajane
02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Haven't gotten to read all the posts, but I skimmed and saw that someone asked about mail. After reading that Julie Morganstern book (LOVE IT!!!!)
I created this system for mail/incoming papers in my classroom. I set it up here at home too!

Get these large magazine files (got mine at Walmart) http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewitemsAct.asp?classlabel=JEAA&manufactlabel=1700268&SKU=RUB40614ROS&gb=1 Involve DH in the process so he has some ownership/understanding/pride in it.

one for DH

Find some space where you can put them at eye or hand level. Ours are on a shelf in the coat closet where we naturally go when we come in. It has been working WONDERFULLY for almost 6 years now. I only deal with the incoming mail (unless it is something handwritten/important/personal) maybe once a week. All bills go into DH's and he's better about checking in his box on a more routine basis. He knows all bills are there and stay there until he tosses them.

I am in no way qualified to respond in this thread, but I'm learning how to be more organized and this is one thing that has REALLY worked here.

ETA: I got one of the desk apprentice (http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&noredir=true&catalogId=10051&productId=130525&cmArea=) things from Staples after reading about it here, and it has effectively tamed the paper monster that was hovering around our kitchen table - stuff that wasn't really mail-related, that I needed during the week - coupons, babysitting co-op lists, incoming papers for DC from church, thank you notes, random pictures, receipts, meal planning info, address labels, stamps, etc. We have no office, so everything has to be handy and in view.

i can say that for mail, we also have "mail boxes" for me and for DH. so for all of you out there who are thinking BUT WHERE WOULD I PUT ONE- here is what we did:

i got PRETTY mail slots/holders/thingamagigs and hung them RIGHT by the front door. it looks like decoration AND it holds the mail. it hands on the wall so it never gets knocked over or in the way.

lizajane
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
liza.... i think we were separated at birth.

wanna come over and play? and no, none of you organized people are invited. just bethie.

(FYI: i was really organized. and then i had kids. and now i am the messiest person i know.)

jgenie
02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I have a label maker too. And I used to use it. I have nicely labeled tupperware for many pantry staples. But sometimes the label is too long to fit the item, then I have to reprint in another font, etc. So for pantry items, I now label with PostIt Tabs (red ones from costco.com nowadays)! I had been using them to label EBM for daycare, so they were already in my kitchen. Just write with a ball point pen and it is ready in a few seconds. No batteries required. I even use them in my fridge to label foods/dates, etc. They stick pretty well and I haven't had trouble with residue yet!

I love the post it idea - I never remember what's in the containers in the fridge.

daniele_ut
02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
The mail and school papers are my downfall.

Our problem is DH and I are responsible for separate sections of the mail. He does all the bills and there is no system. So they pile up until he gets to them. And he takes any suggestion of having a system as a personal affront.

Are we married to the same man?

Papers are the downfall in my house as well. I have a hard time getting rid of things I think I might need at some point.

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2009, 06:45 PM

ha.

I bought a label maker in October and haven't seen it since. I don't think I even used it. No clue where it is. Everytime I open up some random bag of stuff I gathered up from the car or dining room table I hope I'll find it but that hasn't happened yet. I'm starting to wonder if I am dreaming that bought a label maker. I don't think the house is so bad off that something like that would just have disappeared.

Beth

hellokitty
02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
I had a friend who was super organized. She basically had EVERYTHING labeled in some sort of container or in a basket (and I'm not talking normal baskets, but those mega expensive longaberger baskets). I envied her for her organization, BUT she was almost obsessive compulsive, one of those ppl who can't sit, she always had to be doing something, kwim? This was a woman who would vacuum her entire house EVERY day. I will never, in a million yrs vacuum my house every day, even if I was bored silly, it's just not something that will ever happen...

niccig
02-24-2009, 08:52 PM

Think about what you use and where you use it and see if there's space for it nearby. It also has to be easy to use, because if it's too much work to put something away, then you won't do it.

Eg. Tools - most are in the garage, but it's a detached garage and I'm too lazy to walk outside. So, we have a smaller toolbox in the laundry room with screw drivers and hammer etc

Games - I have them in closet in the family room and some in a trunk in the living room - the trunk isn't ideal but I needed to put them somewhere and I know they're there.

Office supplies - depends where you use them. I have hanging files and folders by the filing cabinet, and the stapler is in a cabinet in the kitchen. Both have pens etc. I also have a drawer in the linen closet that has extra printer paper etc. I don't have a lot of room in any one place, so they're not all together, which would be ideal.

Books - DS's in his room as we read there. Cook books on shelves in kitchen. Rest on book shelves in living room and family room - no real reason why a book is in one room and not the other, so sometimes we have to hunt for one. I was a librarian and I'm ruthless with weeding our book collection, or it will overrun the house. I have to really love a book to keep it, whereas DH will keep books for ever, even ones he's never read and admits he never will.

Shoes - ours are in the closet as no room by entry way. But if you DH won't go for the closet, then put a rack where he will use it.

I do keep things that I will use some day or infrequently - like the baking supplies you mentioned. But they're in the top cabinet over the fridge - except for the cookie trays and muffin pans, they got used enough to be in a lower cabinet. But my other cake pans and decorating things are up high. I also have things in a garage cabinet - my extra big baking tray for Thanksgiving turkey and the deep fryer that only gets used when MIL visits and makes her fried chicken.

KrisM
02-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Great tips. I'm re-reading it all :).

Sounds like first thing I need is a week with no kids and no DH so I can get rid of stuff. That is my problem. I'm not a hoarder and I have no problem getting rid of things, but I don't have the time to go through them. I guess I need to just pick a room or area and start small. I am going through all the saved clothes and getting them ready to sell and donate. It's a good start, as they're overrunning the spare closet.

I do have stuff in the kitchen that can go and that'll free up cabinet space.

I like the ideas of putting stuff where we'll use it. I do that with some already and it does work. My printer is on the piano in the dining room. I do all my ebay/Amazon shipping in the kitchen or dining room so the printer being there is key. I have nice paper in/out files for printer paper, photo paper and labels. So, I guess I do have some things organized.

Toys are actually not my problem. I have bins and shelves, etc and it works, except when we just have too many and I need to purge through them.

I think my upstairs is my biggest issue. Kids play in their room and I don't get in there often enough to help clean it. They have a toy box, but things just get lost in it. I need to work on their room. Our room just gets full of laundry. It's clean, but I run out of time to put it in the kids' dresser before they're in bed, so it ends up in piles on my floor.

The other two rooms are supposed to be an office and my selling area and then an empty room waiting for DD to move back in. Both are just a disaster. The "empty" room is full of all the clothes I"m sorting through, so that's understandable since I can't do that project in a short time. But the other room just becomes my dumping area. Clothes I buy ahead, bills to be filed, etc go in but never get organized.

One thing I hope to get to soon is moving our desk to the kitchen. The table only holds 4, so we don't eat there. I think if the desk is there, I can more easily keep the office type of stuff organized. Likely?

My mudroom is a mess, too. I have no system or place for hat/mittens. DH puts his briefcase on the floor. School backpacks go on the floor. I am browsing Ikea looking for something that will work and fit. Not sure what yet.

Thanks for the great ideas. I'm thinking now and figure I can make changes soon.

DebbieJ
02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I loved It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh. It helps you decide what to keep and then how to organize it.

jent
02-24-2009, 10:37 PM
I recently came up with a solution for the various small electronic cords that accumulate: get a decorative basket, dump all the cords in, and put basket on a high shelf so you can't see the jumble. Still not the most organized, but at least out of sight yet accessible.

niccig
02-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Do you mind if I help - always easier to organise someone else rather than to do you own things!

Do start small, like one drawer at a time. Or, I've got paperwork in a bin that needs to get sorted, and I'd doing it in front of the TV. I'm putting it into different envelopes that correspond with filing cabinet drawers - yes it would be best to just put it straight in filing cabinet, but I need to do it when DS isn't with me, so nights it is.

Oh, on the help, a few years back I had YEARS of paperwork to file as DH had been in charge and it was all in boxes. I got our babysitter to come during the week for a couple of days for 2 weeks, and I got it all done. Maybe you could get a sitter for a day to keep the kids occupied and just attack what you need. Or send DH and the kids to the park for a few hours when the weather is nice?? But I agree, I need hours of uninterrupted time sometimes.

DS's room is my problem too. I need to get in there when he's not with me, so it'll have to be a school day. I get most of the way through, and then I have to stop, clean up and I never get back to finish it up. If you can get in there, keep it small so you get it finished before you have to clean up.

For all the laundry, I bought collapsible hampers at BBB. I have several and I use them for clean laundry overflow. If I can't get clothes into DS's room, I put the folded clothes in the hamper and put it in my room until the next day or the one after that. I also use them when I do several loads on one day, but one big sorting during TV time at night. I collapse them up when I don't need them and keep them on the laundry shelf.

For your dumping ground, I would have a couple of bins for the clothes you buy ahead, so you can put them in there until needed. For the bills, could you get one of those folders with stretch elastic holder or a desk top file, so at least they're all together. http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=74528&PRODID=10013533

I don't know about your bills, but I have a 31 day expanding file that I put bills like phone, credit card etc. It's in the filing cabinet at the front of a drawer. At the end of the year, this gets replaced with a new 31 day expanding file as the previous year's is needed for taxes. I put things like mortgage, car etc in the filing cabinet as those stay there permanently. It's made my filing easier, as previously I would have to look through all the files and pull out what need to go for taxes.

Mudroom, mine is tiny, but I got a 8 cubby system from Lowes, with a few baskets it holds hats, umbrella etc and the bottom 2 are for dirty shoes. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=176909-77268-0869400&lpage=none but without their bins as I had baskets of my own. I put hooks on the walls for coats etc. I bought a cabinet that goes in my kitchen just outside the mudroom and all backpacks and bags go in the cabinet. Drawers have car keys, coupons etc. Phone is on top, shelves on wall have address book, folders with other information etc.

HTH. I love organising other people, but I'm not so motivated to help myself!

KrisM
02-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Do you mind if I help - always easier to organise someone else rather than to do you own things!

Do start small, like one drawer at a time. Or, I've got paperwork in a bin that needs to get sorted, and I'd doing it in front of the TV. I'm putting it into different envelopes that correspond with filing cabinet drawers - yes it would be best to just put it straight in filing cabinet, but I need to do it when DS isn't with me, so nights it is.

Oh, on the help, a few years back I had YEARS of paperwork to file as DH had been in charge and it was all in boxes. I got our babysitter to come during the week for a couple of days for 2 weeks, and I got it all done. Maybe you could get a sitter for a day to keep the kids occupied and just attack what you need. Or send DH and the kids to the park for a few hours when the weather is nice?? But I agree, I need hours of uninterrupted time sometimes.

DS's room is my problem too. I need to get in there when he's not with me, so it'll have to be a school day. I get most of the way through, and then I have to stop, clean up and I never get back to finish it up. If you can get in there, keep it small so you get it finished before you have to clean up.

For all the laundry, I bought collapsible hampers at BBB. I have several and I use them for clean laundry overflow. If I can't get clothes into DS's room, I put the folded clothes in the hamper and put it in my room until the next day or the one after that. I also use them when I do several loads on one day, but one big sorting during TV time at night. I collapse them up when I don't need them and keep them on the laundry shelf.

For your dumping ground, I would have a couple of bins for the clothes you buy ahead, so you can put them in there until needed. For the bills, could you get one of those folders with stretch elastic holder or a desk top file, so at least they're all together. http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=74528&PRODID=10013533

I don't know about your bills, but I have a 31 day expanding file that I put bills like phone, credit card etc. It's in the filing cabinet at the front of a drawer. At the end of the year, this gets replaced with a new 31 day expanding file as the previous year's is needed for taxes. I put things like mortgage, car etc in the filing cabinet as those stay there permanently. It's made my filing easier, as previously I would have to look through all the files and pull out what need to go for taxes.

Mudroom, mine is tiny, but I got a 8 cubby system from Lowes, with a few baskets it holds hats, umbrella etc and the bottom 2 are for dirty shoes. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=176909-77268-0869400&lpage=none but without their bins as I had baskets of my own. I put hooks on the walls for coats etc. I bought a cabinet that goes in my kitchen just outside the mudroom and all backpacks and bags go in the cabinet. Drawers have car keys, coupons etc. Phone is on top, shelves on wall have address book, folders with other information etc.

HTH. I love organising other people, but I'm not so motivated to help myself!

Yes, please come on over and help!!

I love the idea of sorting into envelopes to file later. I can do that whenever...even when the kids are awake and playing.

Babysitter...maybe down the road, but DS2 is miserable without me, so it wouldn't help much now. But, maybe this summer. Oh! For 5 weeks this summer DS1 and DD will be at camp 2 mornings a week. If I can get DS2 to still be napping, I'd have time alone!

I also love the idea of collapsable laundry bins. Dirty laundry is good - we have 3 bins in our closet so it gets sorted as it goes in. And, another in the hall for the kids stuff. But, colapsable is just genius!

Will write more later...nak now.

niccig
02-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes, please come on over and help!!

I love the idea of sorting into envelopes to file later. I can do that whenever...even when the kids are awake and playing.

I'm doing it this way out of desperation. I've got a bit to file and I just wasn't getting to it. So I get a grocery shopping bag full, and I sit in front of TV and I put it in piles. One for recycle, one for shredding, then one for each filing cabinet drawer (I know what goes where). If I can, I put them away that evening, but mostly it has to wait until later on, but it's sorted so it doesn't take too long to do. Oh, you will find that your recycle and shred pile are bigger than the rest, so if you can get rid of things like this as soon as you can, you won't have as much paper that needs to be filed. I'm such a packrat with paper.

I use a desk top file for my "to file" pile, but I wasn't getting it filed. So I've created 3 files, again according to my filing drawers, so it's sorted for when I can file it or easy to find if I need to. I'm trying to file immediately to cut out this sorting step, but I don't always get a chance to do that, and if I just put it down somewhere it gets lost.

KrisM
02-25-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm doing it this way out of desperation. I've got a bit to file and I just wasn't getting to it. So I get a grocery shopping bag full, and I sit in front of TV and I put it in piles. One for recycle, one for shredding, then one for each filing cabinet drawer (I know what goes where). If I can, I put them away that evening, but mostly it has to wait until later on, but it's sorted so it doesn't take too long to do.

I use a desk top file for my "to file" pile, but I wasn't getting it filed. So I've created 3 files again according to my filing drawers, so it's sorted for when I can file it or easy to find if I need to. I'm trying to file immediately to cut out this sorting step, but I don't always get a chance to do that, and if I just put it down somewhere it gets lost.

I think it would help me get caught up. then I need to stay that way.

Don't you have relatibves near me? Next time you're up here, I'm going to hire you :)

gatorsmom
02-25-2009, 12:36 AM

The next time you power-clean your bedrooms (and hat's off to you for doing that every couple of weeks- that's a lot of work), put up post-it notes to remember where things will go from now on. I have post-it notes above our laundry divider bins so DH and I will remember what color laundry goes in which divider, I have post-its in the twins' dresser drawers to remember how I've organized their clothes, I have post-its on my shoe racks to remember how I've organized my shoes. I have post-its in the pantry to remember what goes on which shelf. The original intent was to take the post-its down once we got used to the organizational system but i've found that both DH and I still forget so now I've actually taped them to the walls. They are always out of sight when the closet doors or drawers are closed but they are there. It really works for us.

For mail, I used an old basket I got from some Christmas goodie basket for our mail. I have those accordion folders like this to organize the boys' school-work that I want to keep:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/161584/Office-Depot-Brand-Recycled-Heavy-Duty/. Each boy gets his own accordion folder and each tab is for 2 months. I don't keep everything. You just can't, you know? Art projects go in the folder too, sometimes gently folded.

We recently got a craft cart that keeps all their art supplies sorted. It has worked out well for us, even though the cart I got is pretty poorly made: http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemID=10488&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C4%2C493%2C10019&iProductID=10488. We got the single cart. But it really has kept everything organized and neat. I keep it in our home office where I can shut the doors. I have to because the twins love to pull stuff out of the drawers.

I keep our laundry sorted with a divided hamper/sorter. I have a post-it note taped to the wall above it in our closet telling what type of laundry goes where. Makes it easier to just wash one load of clothes without pulling everything out of the hamper to sort and leave on the floor.

Oh, and since the twins and the boys each share bedrooms without walk-in closets (and they don't have a lot of dresser space), I love these for maximizing closet space: http://www.onestepahead.com/pwr/product-reviews/4815/Organizers/Prince-Lionheart/p/09850-Closet-Cubby-Plus.html. I've got 3 of these in 2 closets absolutely overflowing with clothes. They are pretty sturdy, too.

You'll get to where you want to be, it just takes time. hth

gatorsmom
02-25-2009, 12:47 AM
I

Our room just gets full of laundry. It's clean, but I run out of time to put it in the kids' dresser before they're in bed, so it ends up in piles on my floor.

Ugh, the clean, folded laundry that never gets put away. I still have this problem too. What I do that helps a bit, is I have several laundry baskets that are all the same size and stackable when empty, that I put laundry for each room. And then they sit outside the door of that room until I can put them away. I used to set them on the floor but then they'd get picked through and scattered and I didn't remember what was clean because it mixed with the dirty clothes thrown on the floor.... such a pain. At least now they are sitting in a basket. When the clothes are all put away, I just pile up the baskets and try to tuck them in a closet. Until the next day when I need to do wash again. sigh.

niccig
02-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Don't you have relatibves near me? Next time you're up here, I'm going to hire you :)

Only if you live near Brisbane Australia, London, Cardiff, Boulder, Seattle or Detroit.

I actually like organizing OTHER people's things. I volunteer and I'm currently re-organizing her research files. I've been doing 3-4 hours at a time. But no way will I do that much at home with my own files. DS is in school, so I've got the time. I think it's because in her office I have no computer to get on the BBB! So I could help, but only if we don't get online here. :D

KrisM
02-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Only if you live near Brisbane Australia, London, Cardiff, Boulder, Seattle or Detroit.

I actually like organizing OTHER people's things. I volunteer and I'm currently re-organizing her research files. I've been doing 3-4 hours at a time. But no way will I do that much at home with my own files. DS is in school, so I've got the time. I think it's because in her office I have no computer to get on the BBB! So I could help, but only if we don't get online here. :D

Yep Detroit is the one. I remember you were looking for winter clothes for your DS a couple years back. I don't live far from there :). I'll be sure to hide the laptops and get a babysitter for the kids!

KrisM
02-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Another question - where do you put stuff that you need to return to a store? With 3 kids, I often shop knowing I'll return stuff. I don't attempt to try on clothes at a store, for example. I end up with bags sitting in my bedroom until I get back to the store again. I'm not super close to the stores, so I'm not there every week.

egoldber
02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
I often shop knowing I'll return stuff. I don't attempt to try on clothes at a store, for example. I end up with bags sitting in my bedroom until I get back to the store again.

Are you my twin? ;)

JustMe
02-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Can I join the party for the disorganized people?! My hat is off to the rest of you....

We do pretty well with toys, dd's things, and even clothes/laundry. My downfall is papers, little odds and ends, and even some food staples that I just dont have room for. I actually had one of those professional organizing people come to my house for a free consultation. I was going to be willing to pay a limited amt, but she said that there were a lot of problems with my space (not much in the way of kitchen cabinets, really narrow shelves, and no place else to put something that could be storage), but I dont agree...I think one of you mamas would probably have some good ideas for me...right now my kitchen table, counters, and little sofa near my entrance have lots of stuff on them that doesnt belong there..

MontrealMum
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
That desk thing from Staples is totally cool - I'll have to check that out. I have to be organized because our space is so small. So a lot of it is about not bringing it into our house in the first place. We never had an exersaucer for DS for example, because they're big. Our bouncer was the kind that folded flat when not in use.

Some of the things that I find invaluable to keep the mess contained are: lg. Rubbermaid tubs, those clear Rubbermaid latchtoppers (lid won't fall off it tipped), post-its, Euro-style folders with elastics that hold them closed, plastic baskets (for our freezer and the bathroom cupboards), and masking tape with a Sharpie...I don't have a labelmaker, though I do think they're cool ;) I ended up having to label the shelves in our pantry because DH couldn't figure out where to put the baking items or Pyrex back (like goes with like!).

We are also big on buying things that are either spacesaving - our dining room table is a gate leg that can be converted from 5 ft. in length, to only 1 ft., or have dual purposes.

I guess I would tell you to look at the things around your house and ask yourself: how often do I use this? what do I use it for? do I like it and truly need it? if I don't use it often, can it be stored in a relatively inaccessible location? I rate my storage items by my ability to access it since we have a PITA of a basement and super long but narrow closets.

Also, if you have lots of closets and high ceilings like we do, consider adding extra shelves or bars. There's a lot of unused space above your head that you could be using :) Same for a basement or garage (hang bikes and tools if possible)

My favorite store for organizing and ideas is Ikea (though there've been some great suggestions for others here). We especially like it because it's European and Europeans live in smaller spaces so it really goes with our lifestyle. Take some time and go walk around the store and ask yourself if you might be able to do something with a certain product in your home. My favorite thing is the Pax armoire system - it's OK to have mess, I just don't want to see it! Target often has some cool organizational items too. I also have a passion for shelving systems. Surprisingly, you can even find some useful things at Meijer's.

The biggest stumbling block on the road to organization in our home is DH :( so I empathize with you there.

KrisM
02-25-2009, 01:26 PM

one for DH

I remember the Apprentice episode where that thing got designed. Once I move the desk to the kitchen, that might be a nice solution. I'm thinking that each person is getting a drawer in the desk for everyday stuff. That leaves one regular drawer for supplies and the file drawer. This might be good for extra supplies and stuff.

KrisM
02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Oh, and since the twins and the boys each share bedrooms without walk-in closets (and they don't have a lot of dresser space), I love these for maximizing closet space: http://www.onestepahead.com/pwr/product-reviews/4815/Organizers/Prince-Lionheart/p/09850-Closet-Cubby-Plus.html. I've got 3 of these in 2 closets absolutely overflowing with clothes. They are pretty sturdy, too.

You'll get to where you want to be, it just takes time. hth

Where did you get the closet thing? That would be great. We just bought a smaller one from Home Depot for DS1 so he can get his own clothes in the morning and now DD wants it too. We have dressers for them, but they are old and the drawers don't work well, and they're tall. I haven't found a website with them in stock, so if you know a store, please share!

clc053103
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Another question - where do you put stuff that you need to return to a store? With 3 kids, I often shop knowing I'll return stuff. I don't attempt to try on clothes at a store, for example. I end up with bags sitting in my bedroom until I get back to the store again. I'm not super close to the stores, so I'm not there every week.

I immediately place all returns in the trunk of the car- making myself a note on the calendar of return stores so I don't forget about them. Putting them all in one recyclable grocery bag helps prevent them from moving about the trunk.

MontrealMum
02-25-2009, 01:54 PM
I have several baskets like this: basket (http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444329 4658&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672725&bmUID=1235583939003) or this: oval basket (http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444328 7961&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672725&bmUID=1235583939013)that I use for my "holding area" - whether that's returns, donations, or something else that is headed out of the house. They're nice looking and keep things from tipping over. I keep my mending in baskets like this: rectangular basket (http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444330 5327&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672725&bmUID=1235584390203) (the larger one only) It's dimensions are the same as the top of a smaller Pax, so I just keep it on top since we have high ceilings.

KrisM
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Also, if you have lots of closets and high ceilings like we do, consider adding extra shelves or bars. There's a lot of unused space above your head that you could be using :) Same for a basement or garage (hang bikes and tools if possible)

My favorite store for organizing and ideas is Ikea (though there've been some great suggestions for others here). We especially like it because it's European and Europeans live in smaller spaces so it really goes with our lifestyle. Take some time and go walk around the store and ask yourself if you might be able to do something with a certain product in your home. My favorite thing is the Pax armoire system - it's OK to have mess, I just don't want to see it! Target often has some cool organizational items too. I also have a passion for shelving systems. Surprisingly, you can even find some useful things at Meijer's.

The biggest stumbling block on the road to organization in our home is DH :( so I empathize with you there.

We could add a shelf in some of the closets. I should do that. thansk for the reminder.

Ikea overwhelms me. I've only been there once about 2.5 years ago. Maybe I'll go and browse again soon. It's an hour drive though.

Do they have Meijer in Quebec? I shop Meijer a lot and will check them out, too.

niccig
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Can I join the party for the disorganized people?! My hat is off to the rest of you....

We do pretty well with toys, dd's things, and even clothes/laundry. My downfall is papers, little odds and ends, and even some food staples that I just dont have room for. I actually had one of those professional organizing people come to my house for a free consultation. I was going to be willing to pay a limited amt, but she said that there were a lot of problems with my space (not much in the way of kitchen cabinets, really narrow shelves, and no place else to put something that could be storage), but I dont agree...I think one of you mamas would probably have some good ideas for me...right now my kitchen table, counters, and little sofa near my entrance have lots of stuff on them that doesnt belong there..

I would concentrate on either the papers or the food staples first. I find it easier to just work on one problem. If you try to do too much, you can't get it done before you have to stop. I've also found that I need to think about what I have, why I have it and how I need to use it before I can work out where to put it.

I like organizedhome.com http://organizedhome.com
It's now a blog, but it used to be a forum where you could post a problem and others would give suggestions on how to deal with it. The forum split up and moved elsewhere. I'll have to try and track them down. The author of the blog also has a book on organizing your home. I got my idea for household notebooks from there - I have several folders rather than one. Eg/ I put all of DS's school stuff in a binder so I can easily find class list, list of holidays, latest newsletter, book club flyer etc. I have to use the energy to put it in a binder, but it makes it much much easier to find later. My dining room table and one counter in the kitchen is always piled with things, that do have a home. I cleaned it off this week for the painters, and I've sworn it will not get that way again. But I'll have to work at it for at least a month until I'm used to it being a "no dumping" zone.

For the food staples, what is it that's sitting out? Can you cut back on what you have? Would different containers let you stack more - some of the square containers fit together better than round containers. Is there anywhere else where you can move some of the things that you don't need all the time?

For the paper - what kind of paper? what do you need it for? Would a noticeboard help to get it off the flat surfaces?

MontrealMum
02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
We don't actually have Meijer's in Quebec :( but it is such a part of MI culture that I usually do some browsing/shopping whenever I make the trip back. I grew up near the 1st Thrifty Acres so we used to go quite a lot. Surprisingly, my mom has been buying bookshelves and other furniture there lately - they also have sales on Rubbermaid tubs quite regularly. You can find storage things in some surprising places!

I know Ikea can seem overwhelming - I shop there a lot so I feel more comfortable there, and we have two so I can choose to go to the larger, newer one which is not as busy. Some of the furniture that I really like are:

-the Billy bookcases. They're mvf but for a basement or closet, not so bad. We bought a red one for our kitchen and put the optional frosted glass doors on - and people think it's a piece of fancy furniture! Granted the doors cost nearly as much as the actual shelving unit, but it's worth it in a place that's in the open
-the Pax armoire system. It's mix-n-match with two armoire sizes, various finishes, types of shelves, baskets made to fit the dimensions, and different doors
-the Trofast system in the kid's section. They're low to the ground so your DC can get their toys by themselves - and put them away :)
-there's also the Expedit that I think looks quite cool, though we don't have one. The Branas wicker baskets are the right size to fit on their shelves.

Sorry, I am having huge internet difficulties today and can't post links to any of those, but you should be able to find them at www.ikea.com by searching on the names. You might be able to request a catalog online that you can look at before going, that might help a bit too. Also, I find it's better to go during the day. I often bring DS, but you have 3, so you might either want to bring a friend as "helper" or get a sitter. They do have some sort of babysitting service at ours, but I'm not sure I'd use it.

The larger TJMaxx stores have a home section I think? (up here, it's called Homesense) They often have some nice desk/office things in leather or linen, and magazine buckets.

KrisM
02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
We don't actually have Meijer's in Quebec :( but it is such a part of MI culture that I usually do some browsing/shopping whenever I make the trip back. I grew up near the 1st Thrifty Acres so we used to go quite a lot. Surprisingly, my mom has been buying bookshelves and other furniture there lately - they also have sales on Rubbermaid tubs quite regularly. You can find storage things in some surprising places!

I know Ikea can seem overwhelming - I shop there a lot so I feel more comfortable there, and we have two so I can choose to go to the larger, newer one which is not as busy. Some of the furniture that I really like are:

-the Billy bookcases. They're mvf but for a basement or closet, not so bad. We bought a red one for our kitchen and put the optional frosted glass doors on - and people think it's a piece of fancy furniture! Granted the doors cost nearly as much as the actual shelving unit, but it's worth it in a place that's in the open
-the Pax armoire system. It's mix-n-match with two armoire sizes, various finishes, types of shelves, baskets made to fit the dimensions, and different doors
-the Trofast system in the kid's section. They're low to the ground so your DC can get their toys by themselves - and put them away :)
-there's also the Expedit that I think looks quite cool, though we don't have one. The Branas wicker baskets are the right size to fit on their shelves.

Sorry, I am having huge internet difficulties today and can't post links to any of those, but you should be able to find them at www.ikea.com by searching on the names. You might be able to request a catalog online that you can look at before going, that might help a bit too. Also, I find it's better to go during the day. I often bring DS, but you have 3, so you might either want to bring a friend as "helper" or get a sitter. They do have some sort of babysitting service at ours, but I'm not sure I'd use it.

The larger TJMaxx stores have a home section I think? (up here, it's called Homesense) They often have some nice desk/office things in leather or linen, and magazine buckets.

Totally, OT, but did your Thrifty Acres have a play area in the middle where your parents could leave you to play while they shopped? Ours did and it was a special treat to be left there! How I wish I could do that now lol :).

Are any of the ikea furniture pieces narrow? I think I want a narrow, tall shelving unit for our mudroom so we could put bins for mittens, etc and have other shelves for backpacks, briefcases, etc. Bookcases don't have enough shelves, although we could make more.

I'll see if I can get my mom to watch 2 kids one Friday afternoon and head over there to browse. Thanks for the names - I'll look them up tonight.

MontrealMum
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Totally, OT, but did your Thrifty Acres have a play area in the middle where your parents could leave you to play while they shopped? Ours did and it was a special treat to be left there! How I wish I could do that now lol :).

Are any of the ikea furniture pieces narrow? I think I want a narrow, tall shelving unit for our mudroom so we could put bins for mittens, etc and have other shelves for backpacks, briefcases, etc. Bookcases don't have enough shelves, although we could make more.

I'll see if I can get my mom to watch 2 kids one Friday afternoon and head over there to browse. Thanks for the names - I'll look them up tonight.

I don't *think* it did, but it might have. Knowing my mom and her quirks (the original over-protective germaphobe) she wouldn't have left me there - but sounds like a great idea to me know, I'll tell you! Especially if I had more than one DC. It did have a restaurant upstairs on one end. Can't imagine what they served!

The Billy isn't very deep (less than a foot) and comes in different heights and widths, but not a super-narrow width. They do have some "CD towers" (don't know the name) that could certainly be used for other things - it's not like they have slots for CDs or anything. Any they are narrow. It's nice that the Ikea site gives the dimensions on all their products so you don't have to guess.

KrisM
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't *think* it did, but it might have. Knowing my mom and her quirks (the original over-protective germaphobe) she wouldn't have left me there - but sounds like a great idea to me know, I'll tell you! Especially if I had more than one DC. It did have a restaurant upstairs on one end. Can't imagine what they served!

The Billy isn't very deep (less than a foot) and comes in different heights and widths, but not a super-narrow width. They do have some "CD towers" (don't know the name) that could certainly be used for other things - it's not like they have slots for CDs or anything. Any they are narrow. It's nice that the Ikea site gives the dimensions on all their products so you don't have to guess.

I don't think ours had a restaurant. It did have mini-stores in the front...a shoe repair, a jean store, etc.

I'll look up that one.

gatorsmom
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Where did you get the closet thing? That would be great. We just bought a smaller one from Home Depot for DS1 so he can get his own clothes in the morning and now DD wants it too. We have dressers for them, but they are old and the drawers don't work well, and they're tall. I haven't found a website with them in stock, so if you know a store, please share!

I ordered mine online about 4 years ago, can't remember where. I did find them here:

http://www.thefind.com/family/browse-prince-lionheart-storage. I think I paid about $25 for mine. But they are really sturdy. When mine shipped with a broken piece I called and they sent me another right away.

JustMe
02-26-2009, 01:05 AM
I like organizedhome.com http://organizedhome.com
I

For the food staples, what is it that's sitting out? Can you cut back on what you have? Would different containers let you stack more - some of the square containers fit together better than round containers. Is there anywhere else where you can move some of the things that you don't need all the time?

For the paper - what kind of paper? what do you need it for? Would a noticeboard help to get it off the flat surfaces?

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me! The food staples are things like unopened boxes of cereal, pasta, soymilk, 4 kinds of vitamins I take everyday...they really are things I need and benefit from buying in advance...I really dont have too much stuff...the organizational person who gave me a free consultation commented on this...I just dont organize what i have well and there are some limitations with my space...but nothing that I dont feel I could be doing better with...the papers, who knows? I think mostly stuff I have to do something about relatively soon. If I put some time/energy into it, I could come up with a better system for them.

KrisM
02-26-2009, 08:26 AM
I ordered mine online about 4 years ago, can't remember where. I did find them here:

http://www.thefind.com/family/browse-prince-lionheart-storage. I think I paid about $25 for mine. But they are really sturdy. When mine shipped with a broken piece I called and they sent me another right away.

When you click on the link for the organzier, it shows as out-of-stock. Prince Lionheart says they stopped making them YEARS ago. I am so disappointed!

niccig
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for taking the time to try to help me! The food staples are things like unopened boxes of cereal, pasta, soymilk, 4 kinds of vitamins I take everyday...they really are things I need and benefit from buying in advance...I really dont have too much stuff...the organizational person who gave me a free consultation commented on this...I just dont organize what i have well and there are some limitations with my space...but nothing that I dont feel I could be doing better with...the papers, who knows? I think mostly stuff I have to do something about relatively soon. If I put some time/energy into it, I could come up with a better system for them.

Do you have room to put the extra staples elsewhere? It's kitchen stuff, but it can be stored in another closet or box in a closet or under the bed etc. Extra vitamins in bathroom cabinet? You can put things where ever you want.

Taming the paper tiger...yep needs time/energy to figure out what to do and then to keep it up. I laugh when I think about all the talk of the "paperless office"...yeah right!

daisyd
02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Totally, totally love this thread! Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Daisy

g-mama
02-26-2009, 04:20 PM
When you click on the link for the organzier, it shows as out-of-stock. Prince Lionheart says they stopped making them YEARS ago. I am so disappointed!

On that same page, there was a column down the side with "You May Also Like" and this is basically the same thing, I think, but in more muted colrors, and it is available. Would this work?

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=533944&cmSource=CrossSell&relatedProductId=150775&PIPELINE_SESSION_ID=b43e9599ac12041515b93c71bc2cbb f6

KrisM
02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
On that same page, there was a column down the side with "You May Also Like" and this is basically the same thing, I think, but in more muted colrors, and it is available. Would this work?

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=533944&cmSource=CrossSell&relatedProductId=150775&PIPELINE_SESSION_ID=b43e9599ac12041515b93c71bc2cbb f6

It would, but it's really expensive. All the parts in that main picture are sold seperately. The rod to make it a double rod is $19.95 by itself! Then, each 6 cubby is $29.95 and the big 4 cubby is 22.95 and the shoe cubby is $19.95. Just what is shown there is about $130 without the bins. Much more than I can spend! I want cubbies and the double rod thing for about $30 :).

niccig
02-26-2009, 04:40 PM
It would, but it's really expensive. All the parts in that main picture are sold seperately. The rod to make it a double rod is $19.95 by itself! Then, each 6 cubby is $29.95 and the big 4 cubby is 22.95 and the shoe cubby is $19.95. Just what is shown there is about $130 without the bins. Much more than I can spend! I want cubbies and the double rod thing for about $30 :).

Here's several over the rod closet organizers - different size shelves.
http://www.stacksandstacks.com/closet-over-the-rod-organizers-page-1/

Here's extra closet rods or double rods
http://www.stacksandstacks.com/closet-organizers-double-rods-page-1/

I'm sure I've seen things like this at BBB as well, and use one one of those 20% discount coupons. I have ordered from Stacks and Stacks before and I didn't have any problems.

american_mama
02-27-2009, 08:31 PM
>> I recently came up with a solution for the various small electronic cords that accumulate:

I am reading this thread because I do not have an organized house, but I do have a great tip for all those electrical cords. DH has a bunch from various stereos, computers, phones, plus extension cords, etc. I got an over-the-door shoe organizer with clear plastic pockets, and each pocket holds a couple cords, and the whole thing goes over the door over our laundry room. I grouped each row of pockets into phone, extension, computer, A/V and miscellaneous, I think. I am sure a few cords are misfiled/mislabelled, but it doesn't really matter since it's easy to find the frequently used ones and the lesser used ones could be found with minimal effort.

I came up with this idea all by myself and think it's brilliant, so I am happy to pass it on.

niccig
02-27-2009, 09:08 PM
>> I recently came up with a solution for the various small electronic cords that accumulate:

I am reading this thread because I do not have an organized house, but I do have a great tip for all those electrical cords. DH has a bunch from various stereos, computers, phones, plus extension cords, etc. I got an over-the-door shoe organizer with clear plastic pockets, and each pocket holds a couple cords, and the whole thing goes over the door over our laundry room. I grouped each row of pockets into phone, extension, computer, A/V and miscellaneous, I think. I am sure a few cords are misfiled/mislabelled, but it doesn't really matter since it's easy to find the frequently used ones and the lesser used ones could be found with minimal effort.

I came up with this idea all by myself and think it's brilliant, so I am happy to pass it on.

I love this idea. But where to hang it. So many of our doors already have things on the back. Either mirrors or hooks or a have a hanging unit from the Container store. I'll have to think about this one. At the moment, they're all in a drawer jumbled up, and DH always is asking where such and such a cord is.

WatchingThemGrow
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I love this idea. But where to hang it. So many of our doors already have things on the back. Either mirrors or hooks or a have a hanging unit from the Container store. I'll have to think about this one. At the moment, they're all in a drawer jumbled up, and DH always is asking where such and such a cord is.

We have a clear shoebox labeled "cords and cables" for all those things.
Other boxes in that cabinet:
-billpaying supplies (checkbooks, pens, stamps return address labels, envelopes)
-electronic accessories (iPod parts, camera batteries, old Palm, earbuds, etc)
-wall hooks (3M command adhesive stickers/hooks, picture mounting kits with hooks, wires, etc, OOK pins/hangers, hammer)
-thank you notes
-greeting cards
-odds and ends (this one is so unspecific I don't really know what's in there- just weird stuff i didn't want to throw away, I guess...

I've been really happy with this cabinet b/c I labeled everything with a blue index card in the front with huge writing. DH can find stuff and put things away on his own :D