PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite UNISEX names for Girls?

Corie
02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
I love boys' names used for girls. Always have.
Maybe because my name is unisex.
And my DD has one too. (Carson)

Today at the library, there was a girl named Hunter.

Love it!

What are your favorite unisex/boys names used for girls?

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I really dislike unisex names.

If I had to pick one I guess I would say Alex.

Beth

kijip
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Leslie, Taylor, Elliot, Jamie.

And Corie/Cory :)

I really like unisex names for both genders.

BabyMine
02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
I love the name Hunter.

HIU8
02-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I know a couple of women named Michael. Not my favorite for a girl/woman. I also know a bunch of little girls named Noa (a name we considered for DS).

Mamma2004
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I love the name Taylor.

billysmommy
02-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I have a friend who has 2 little girls named Remington and Finnegan ~ they call them Remi and Finn. I think they're cute names for little girls

HIU8
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
That reminded me of something. As a teenager, I was in the dentists office waiting room with my mother. They called the person before me. Her name was Covington and her mother was referring to her as Covey.

mbbailey
02-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Bailey, Taylor, Dylan and Cori.

AnnieW625
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Morgan
Taylor (although I think this is really just a girls name now)
Colby
Dana (I've actually known more guys my age with this name vs. girls)
Peyton
Parker (not sure if it's her given birth name or just her stage name, but I've always loved Parker Posey)
Logan

Davids-Coco
02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm a Corey. I have always hated it... it took a long time to convince the Selective Service that I did not have to register because I am NOT male.

Taylor and Jamie are two I would think about but would never do myself.

Gena
02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I know a couple of women named Michael. Not my favorite for a girl/woman.

One of my favorite teachers in Catholic grade school was Sister Michael Claire. (Obviously that was her religious name. I have no idea what her given name was.)

LarsMal
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
I never cosidered DD's name unisex- Mallory- but I guess it technically is.

Bailey
Brooke
Morgan
Corey/Corie
Taylor
Delaney (another one I didn't consider unisex, but is)

SheriRae
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM
My sister-in-law recently had a baby girl and named her....

Andie!

Not short for anything just Andie.

MommyofAmaya
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I always planned to use Sloane/Sloan for my dd, until I married dh who wouldn't consider it.

KpbS
02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
We know a Michael and a Henry. I am not big on boys names for girls.

Others I've heard of
Payton
Bradford
Morgan

ha98ed14
02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
I have a friend who has 2 little girls named Remington and Finnegan ~ they call them Remi and Finn. I think they're cute names for little girls

Finn is cute. Remington immidiately brings to mind the shaver, "Remington Micro Screen." Not what i want to evoke for a girl. Sorry, but that's what is there for me.

I do know a gal who has a boy named Rumi, pronounced "Roo ME" and I think that would be cute for a girl too.

ha98ed14
02-24-2009, 04:48 PM
We know a Michael and a Henry. I am not big on boys names for girls.

Others I've heard of
Payton
Bradford
Morgan

You know a girl named Henry? Wow. Michal and Micah can actually a girls and boys name in Hebrew, so that is not weird to me, but Henry?

kijip
02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
You know a girl named Henry? Wow. Michal and Micah can actually a girls and boys name in Hebrew, so that is not weird to me, but Henry?

Yeah, Henry for a girl is equivalent to a boy named Sue or something. Just a little out there for my personal taste, even though I lover Johnny Cash, LOL.

graciebellesmomma
02-24-2009, 06:49 PM
I love the name James for a girl! I think it's darling.

I have a friend whose daughter is named
Owen-Grace. They call her O.

trales
02-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Frances/Francis

dylansnan
02-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Dylan :-)

and Aiden

elizabethkott
02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah, Henry for a girl is equivalent to a boy named Sue or something. Just a little out there for my personal taste, even though I lover Johnny Cash, LOL.

This just reminded me of the Christopher Durang play "Baby With The Bathwater" which features a boy named Daisy!! LOL!

elektra
02-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Logan
Shayne/Shane
Adrienne/Adrian (I guess I actually like Adrian for a boy more than Adrienne for a girl)
Kennedy
Sasha
Taylor

I think Henry for a girl is bizarre. In that case any boy name could be a girl name!

BillK
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Sam/Samantha! I love that name for a girl.

melissaflorida
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
My daughter's name is Spencer. I too love boy's names for girls.

~Melissa

alexsmommy
02-24-2009, 09:18 PM
I like a lot of the ones listed, but I prefer truly unisex to traditionally "male" names on girls. Only because while it's can be adorable on a little girl, as a woman, it could be a pain in the tush and/or the girl may not have the personality to pull it off. I knew a girl Michael (Mike) and she could totally pull it off - but she did have to go through an explaination before every interview. She finally something on her resume similar to, "My parents were only having one child and my father wanted to name his child after him - so please note, I am a woman!"
I do love Michaela...

vludmilla
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
I really like Sasha and Michaela, two names PP's mentioned.

ohiomom1121
02-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I love unisex names on girls too. I like Noa, Logan, Taylor and Sawyer. And I think that Finn and Remy are too cute. Henry, not so much!!!

Melbel
02-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Alexandra/Alex
Samantha/Sam
Cameron
Taylor
Dylan

One that I am a bit confused about is Jackson (son of Jack), but I am sure the girl's family has a good reason!

wellyes
02-24-2009, 09:58 PM
I've been told my DD's name, Darcy, is unisex. But I've never met a male Darcy.

athompson
02-24-2009, 09:59 PM
delete delete delete

billysmommy
02-24-2009, 10:11 PM
My oldest daughter's name is Harper:-)

A friend of mine just had a baby girl and named her Harper ~ I love it :)

Corie
02-24-2009, 10:28 PM

If my son had been a girl, I would have named her Finley and called her Finn. :)

Tondi G
02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Hmm well I know 2 little girls named Hunter... it's grown on me. I know a set of girl twins named Chase and Chandler. Their little sister is Ryan (which I suppose is a unisex name). I also know of boys and girls named Skyler and Trystan. I like Harper for a girl too.

maydaymommy
02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Dylan and Payton are my favorites!
I like Parker and Harper, too, more in a guilty pleasure kind of way.

I have a Griffin, we call him Griffy. (Though I picked the name thinking he'd be "Finn.") I was once under anesthesia at a dentists' office soon after he was born and the nurse told me that was a girl's name! I think Griffy would be cute for a little girl, I guess.

I think the name Wesley could become a girls' name, too.

Jordan/Jordyn. I like that alot, too.

Corie
02-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Hmm well I know 2 little girls named Hunter... it's grown on me. I know a set of girl twins named Chase and Chandler.

I suggested Chandler to my DH and he looked at me like I was nuts!!

My only problem with Chandler is the reference to Chandler Bing. :)

jayali
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I was just speaking to a woman today who has two daughters named Taylor and Ryan. I also love Sydney and Kendall.

Twin Mom
02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Hayden
Kerry
Robin
Randy

kijip
02-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Frances/Francis

Love it! :D

DrSally
02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
I love unisex girls names too:

Kelsey
Sydney
Hayden
Alex
James
Riley!
Addison!!

jd11365
02-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Jamie and Taylor ;)

jacksmomtobe
02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Harper ..what a cool name. Really like it. I also like Morgan, Taylor , Kendall, Sydney, & Jordan. I would have considered some of these names however I don't think DH would have been into the unisex names.

On another note a friend has a Chandler and I always think Chandler Bing!

american_mama
02-25-2009, 12:16 AM
I like the new unisex names, like Campbell, Kellen, Carter, Mackenzie, Sage, Presley, last names as first names and others I can't think of. Maybe Marlo/Marlowe too.

Our son is August, and a few people asked me if we would have used that name had it been a girl. One of the lead characters in the book "The Secret Life of Bees" was named August, and she was a woman.

For traditional, I have alwas liked Jamie, doubtless a legacy of my childhood fondness for "The Bionic Woman."

kijip
02-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Our son is August, and a few people asked me if we would have used that name had it been a girl.

I love August for a boy/man but not so much for a girl. Probably because I like August Wilson's plays so much. Very uncommon for men now, but I think it is great!

Staraglimmer
02-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Honestly, I am not in love with male names for girls. Well, not for my girls. It is just a personal taste sort of thing (although Hailey can be a boy's name). I like Ashley or Lindsey for a boy....DH would never consider it though.

wellyes
02-25-2009, 08:54 AM
I like Elliot, except that the nickname may be Ellie & get confused with the 1,000,000 baby Eleanors in this town.

ewpmsw
02-25-2009, 09:55 AM
I love the names Emerson and Elliott. We have an Emerson and thought we'd settled on something kind of rare, but we've run into many Emersons and parents/grandparents/friends of female Emersons since DD was born. Most of our family members dislike the name and insist on calling her Emmy, which is fine.

boolady
02-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Harper ..what a cool name. Really like it.

Me, too. I love this name, mostly because of Harper Lee; however, it would never in a million years work with our 11-letter last name. We have to keep it simple. :)

wellyes
02-25-2009, 10:43 AM
But could Harper really be a boy's name?

I've also met a Parker (girl) & I've thought of stealing that if I have another DD.

almostmom
02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Jesse, Sam (Samantha), Alex, Mattie (Matilda, Madeleine), Andy (for Andrea)

stillplayswithbarbies
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Well, Logan is my favorite of course. Ever since Logan was born, I have been collecting gender-neutral names for the next one. Mine are all 5 characters because I have this pattern going with the names in my family where we all have 5 characters in our first name and 9 characters in our middle names. But after all this, the new baby is getting an ultra-feminine name and it's not 5 characters! Once we saw her picture, she just didn't look like a "Quinn".

Here is my list
Gavin
Taryn
Taren
Devon
Quinn
Arden
Blake
Drake
Jason
Avery
Riley
Blair
Reese
Rowan
Darby
Dylan
Greer
Grier
Ellis
Torin
Tiran
Rylan
Asher
Sloan

daniele_ut
02-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I've been told my DD's name, Darcy, is unisex. But I've never met a male Darcy.

We have a good male friend whose name is Darcy. His wife is Kelsey (also unisex!) and it sometimes confuses people, lol!

Corie
02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Once we saw her picture, she just didn't look like a "Quinn".

Quinn was my #1 pick for my daughter. My husband adamantly vetoed
the name.
It's funny because I look at her now and she is definitely NOT a Quinn.
She is a Carson. :)

LexyLou
02-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Noa is actually a girls name in Hebrew. I have an adult friend, Noa and there are 3 Noa's in Ella's preschool.

I would never personally give my daughter a unisex name but we have a lot of friends who have and these are the names:

Michael
Frankie
Dylan
Ryan
Alan
Eliot
Emerson
Jamison
Riley
Avery
Quinn

fivi2
02-25-2009, 02:46 PM
We have a good male friend whose name is Darcy. His wife is Kelsey (also unisex!) and it sometimes confuses people, lol!

dh and I both have sort of unisex names. We have had a few people ask which is which.

My sister and I both had unisex names growing up. I ended up giving both of my girls pretty feminine first names, but sort of unisex middle names. Not on purpose, it just worked that way!

I think a lot of the current last-name-as-first-name names can go either way and still be cute. But taking a boy name (like the Henry mentioned above) seems like it'd be hard to pull off. But then, I think Evan Rachel Wood fits her name!

LexyLou
02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Oh that reminds me. My step father's brother's name is Carroll.

Corie
02-25-2009, 03:01 PM
But then, I think Evan Rachel Wood fits her name!

I had a sorority sister named Evan. I always loved her name!

american_mama
02-26-2009, 12:15 AM
>> But could Harper really be a boy's name?

I do know a 7 year old boy whose first name is Harper, although he goes by his middle name. I was surprised because Harper does seem like a girl's name to me.

KpbS
02-26-2009, 12:26 AM
dh and I both have sort of unisex names. We have had a few people ask which is which.

This reminded me of DH's uncle Fran and aunt Jerry. lol

almostamom
02-26-2009, 01:24 AM
The only other child I've ever met IRL with DS' name (Reeve) was a little girl. They called her Reevey. Other names on our list were Hayden and Greer.

Linda

klwa
02-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Really not a fan of unisex names for either, but...
Had a great-aunt named James
Cousin named her two Tyler (girl) & Blake (boy)
Nephew named Parker (When I was called, all anyone told me was his name & I had to guess boy or girl. I guessed wrong.)

pinkmomagain
02-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Jumping on this thread late, but my oldest has a boy's name spelled non-traditionally. Her name is Alix. It's the French spelling. I love it, but sometimes she lands on a "boys" list (swimming, soccer).

HIU8
02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
I had always wanted to name a girl Devon and/or Taryn. DH's grandfather's name was Terrence and I thought that would be nice. Devon I heard on a TV show once and fell in love with it. Of course, we ended up not using either name for DD. Instead she was named after my FIL who had passed away when I was 3 months PG with DD.