PDA

View Full Version : Is 2 old enough to be spun around by the arms?

elektra
02-24-2009, 03:54 PM
You know what I am talking about right? Where you hold someone's hands and spin them around helicopter style. I know that it's a huge no-no for infants to even be picked up by their arms. But what about 2 and up?
The reason I am asking is because BIL was spinning the little girl cousins around this weekend. Two of them were 2 in November and DD will be 2 next month. DD actually didn't get spun as she happened to be inside when it was going on. I was thinking it would have made me uncomfortable as I feel that DD does not yet have the muscle strength to sustain that type of thing, regardless of her age. Am I overreacting?
Both of the other little girls have also eaten pretty much anything (ex. peanut butter), FF in their carseats, etc. So I am the "anxious" one already. ;)

LarsMal
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
I took DS to classes at The Little Gym from the time he was 5 months until he was 2 1/2. We were always told to support them under their armpits- even at 2 1/2- never to hold them by the hands like that.

I would have been nervous just watching that!!!

set81616
02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
3 is the age when everything is stable enough so you won't get "milk maid's" elbow. Got this from both my anatomy and OT professors. HTH
Shannon

KBecks
02-24-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't see a problem if it is brief and gentle.

Jacksonvol
02-24-2009, 11:37 PM
My mom accidently pulled one of my shoulders out of socket when I was @ 3 doing something similar to this. It popped back in on its own, but it scared both of us and I went to the ER. Needless to say, no one was ever spun, lifted or swung by the arms again. I don't rememer the pain, but I have a very vivid memory of the ER and can remember the nurse's name!

Rainbows&Roses
02-24-2009, 11:42 PM
I freaked out the 1st time my DH did it at 2 or so and told him not to do it again. I don't really think it is ever a good idea unless you are supporting them at the armpits/shoulders.

KrisM
02-25-2009, 12:21 AM
DD's had nursemaid's elbow 3 times since turning 2. All came from less than spinning like that. I'd say no.

lisa56308
02-25-2009, 03:32 AM
I would say no. My youngest has had nursemaids elbow 3 or 4 times in both arms. The last time he was 4 1/2 and somehow managed to have it happen in his sleep. Even now at 5 1/2 we don't "pull" him by his lower arms.