PDA

View Full Version : 1-800 Pet Meds?

Carrots
02-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Has anyone used them?
I have compared prices and there is a $1.00 difference between the Frontline there and at our vet's office.

If you have used them, how was your experience?

Thanks!

o_mom
02-24-2009, 05:14 PM
For a $1 difference.. support your local business. :)

infomama
02-24-2009, 05:18 PM
We have bought Revolution through Dr.'s Smith & Foster and we saved a lot. I can't remember the exact price but it was more than $5 a box. We wont buy this item from our vet anymore due to the savings.

tarabenet
02-24-2009, 05:23 PM
For that small a difference, I would support my vet's office. I would even ask if they would price match. But we had a dog on ridiculously expensive medicines for a while, and 1-800-Pet-Meds saved us $40+ each month and were quite easy to work with.

Carrots
02-24-2009, 05:24 PM
For a $1 difference.. support your local business. :)

You make a good point.

elektra
02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
I've used them and have been very satisfied. They send email reminders when it might be time for more stuff too. The site is easy to navigate and the recommendations are relevant. I have found that the companies that started out as catalog businesses (assuming 1800 PetMeds did) have much better CRM tactics than other online retailers.

sste
02-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I agree on the frontline . . . however, for an anti-biotic I was able to purchase it for TWO HUNDRED dollars less on 1-800-petmeds than my vet's office. It did make me wonder about my vet's office . . .

Nyfeara
02-24-2009, 07:34 PM
We've used Foster & Smith as well. When I looked to purchase, they were cheaper than the others and half the price of our local vet.

jerigirl
02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
We use them for our dog's Frontline as well. Check ebates and cashbaq for rebates and we usually are given discount codes or free shipping codes with our orders.

vejemom
02-24-2009, 11:05 PM
I worked for a vet and I'm not crazy about them. They would call and try to sort of "trap" support staff into giving them authorization to fill. Vets have a DEA number just like human doctors, so it absolutely has to be the vet who gives the go ahead. You also had to check your records to make sure you'd actually seen that pet. Sometimes they'd be asking us to authorize a prescription for an animal we'd never seen. In the state of Virginia, that's a good way to lose you vet's license. Doh! Then they always got annoyed when they were told that the vet would have to call them back...

Another thing that a lot of people aren't aware of is that none of the big animal pharmaceutical companies sell to 1-800-Petmeds. Any by-prescription-only drugs that they have are sold to them secondhand or from Europe and Asia.

FWIW, I think the whole animal drug system is stupid, anyway. Human doctors don't stock their own drugs, I'm not sure why vets have to. Most average size clinics have to buy in more expensive small quantities so they don't end up throwing away expired drugs. Some drugs are expensive to handle and store as well (e.g., Some actually have to be stored in a safe bolted into a steel wall stud because they have a "street value") Most vets hardly break even on drugs. It would be so much easier for everyone if they could just write a prescription that could be filled at Rite-Aid... I blame the drug companies - they're trying to milk those patents for all they can. MEanwhile, the vet can't be sure that you're getting what he or she prescribed if you order it from 1-800 Pet meds because they are selling repackaged product because the drug company won't sell to them.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I'm just a tad passionate about this :ROTFLMAO:

MelissaTC
02-24-2009, 11:20 PM
My vet office will match their prices and so we continue to purchase from our vet. I know that the drugs are only guaranteed if purchased from a vet so if your pooch or kitty gets sick on the meds and you didn't get it from a vet, you are sol.

jerigirl
02-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah- we only get the Frontline and Preventic collars from 1 800 pet meds. Our vet does not authorize "outside" pharmacies to fill the Heartguard. (That is the only other thing we have tried to order.)

jessicallyn
02-24-2009, 11:53 PM
If the Vet's office sells the products he prescribes/recommends at a fair mark-up, that's one thing. They have to store it, take a loss if it doesn't sell, etc. And it can be convenient for you because, if it's medication, you're already there. But then again, a lot of offices will charge 2 or 3x retail, so then it pays to shop around.

Actually, price-wise you can do way better than 1-800 Pet Meds or Drs. Foster and Smith. Check prices at Valleyvet.com, or RevivalAnimal.com. Plus, both of these sites have good prices on pet supplies, too.

Good luck

KarenLud
02-25-2009, 12:10 AM
I used to but read some not great things about them. So now I either buy from my vet or from drugstore.com. Way cheaper.

rlu
02-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Ok with their service. Non-RX only, got the RX from the vet.

updacountry
02-25-2009, 09:41 AM
I use entirelypets.com and ebates. I've done a lot of shopping around and they have the best prices. I buy a vitamin pill for my dog (forget the name) frontline and heartguard.

Tinkerbell313
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Costco On Line sells Frontline PLUS. The prices include S & H.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|48025&N=4035435&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=79203&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=

Sorry...I don't know how to make the URL shorter...