PDA

View Full Version : Toddler music recommendations?

alirebco
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
DS loves music and has started dancing recently and I would love to get some kid cds to play in the house. We don't do tv yet, so I'd like to keep it to non-character themed cds if possible. Ones that aren't too annoying for us parents to listen to are a plus as well.

What's your favorite music cds for the 1-3 age group?

vludmilla
02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Lori Berkner is pretty easy to listen to as an adult. They Might Be Giants is cool too but maybe more preschool than toddler. You might be able to try these out at your library first to see if you like them. We get almost all of our CD's from the library.

ohiomom1121
02-24-2009, 09:47 PM
We love Susie Tallman, Ralph's World, Laurie Berkner and The Learning Station. I definitely recommend checking them out at the library to see what is a hit. I know lots of people who like Raffi, but my kids weren't really into him.

o_mom
02-24-2009, 10:01 PM
John Feierabend's stuff is great - age appropriate keys and all - Round and Round the Garden, Ride Away on Your Horses and Frog in the Meadow

John Lithgow - Singin' in the Bathtub, Sunny Side of the Street

Wee Sing (http://www.weesing.com/booksAudio.cfm) has many good albums as well

Parakeet Album - songs of Jimmy Buffett

neeleymartin
02-24-2009, 10:09 PM
the terrible twos, really fun to dance to.

i know you said that character junk is out b/c no tv. i agree completely, we don't watch any tv either. however, we got a cd at the library(ds was attracted to the bright colors) it is a great cd with catchy beats and songs. doodlebops, get on the bus. borrow it from your library. you will not regret it. ds cuts a rug to this stuff. the reaction is well worth having to listen to the music.

another tv show we don't watch, but cute cd is jack's big music show, season 1. way cute and fun to dance. lots of catchy beats.

we also have a ton of other stuff:
jack johnson, curious george;
elizabeth mitchell
frances england
john lithgow has a couple
music for aardvarks
dan zanes
babyjamz - we just borrowed from the library, hip hop nursery rhymes for babes, hysterical.

a great site to discover new music is cdbaby. lots of cool stuff. if you type in a particular artist that you like it makes "you might also like" recommendations. the music is mostly independent and no tv junk. it sounds like it might appeal to you. hth

brittone2
02-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Raffi (although somewhat painful for adults, both kids liked his CDs, particularly as toddlers)

Lauri Berkner

Justin Roberts (we've seen him in concert...my kids love him. He has a website where you can listen to his stuff to get an idea if you like it or not. )

They Might Be Giants (their kid CDs)

DD is 2 and loves goofy stuff like Footloose LOL. She break dances to it.

sidmand
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM
I third or fourth Laurie Berkner...

DS also loves the Wiggles (took me awhile, but I like them okay now too)

Barenaked Ladies has a kid's CD now that's pretty cute

We also listen to the Signing Time! CDs (and Backyardigans, although those do have characters, I would imagine you could listen to the CD without ever seeing the show and still like it!)

Stevesongs, Justin Roberts, Trout Fishing in America...

fivi2
02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
The Putumayo kids collections are huge in our house!

our faves are Animal Playground, African Playground, and Jazz for Kids. But really, we have liked all we have heard.

Greg and Steve's Kids in Motion is also a fun one - it has movement songs.

shoremom
02-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Lori Berkner is pretty easy to listen to as an adult. They Might Be Giants is cool too but maybe more preschool than toddler. You might be able to try these out at your library first to see if you like them. We get almost all of our CD's from the library.
:yeahthat:

kristenk
02-27-2009, 12:38 AM
I'll second the Putumayo collections. Those are great.

Laurie Berkner's fabulous. Sara Hickman has a few kids' CDs that I like.

We have the Barenaked Ladies CD and I think it's still a little old for DD (she just turned 5) on the whole, but some songs are great.

Roger Day has some great songs. I also like Woody Wolfe.

Dan Zanes is fun. Lisa Loeb has some great kids songs, but I prefer Catch the Moon to Camp Lisa.

GraceH
02-27-2009, 02:25 AM
'kid' music makes me nuts.... I'll get classical-ish CDs from the library anyday, especially Leroy Anderson for energetic little ones

DrSally
02-27-2009, 09:25 AM
I just found something, Charolette Diamond, "Ten Carrot Diamond". The song Octopus is great. They have it at my library.

Charlie
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I like Baby Loves Jazz - babylovesjazz.info