PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight stroller- PLEASE help me decide!

staceannd
02-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Ok I really need to make a decision ASAP as I am driving myself crazy comparing strollers and the Graco Metrolite is just not meeting our needs anymore.

DS is almost 1 years old. Besides the MacLaren Quest I'm debating on:

UppaBaby G-Luxe
Zooper Twist
Inglesina Swift or Trip
Peg Perego Aria

Please don't list any other strollers as I've already narrowed my choices down and do not have the time to keep comparing! Thanks!

Here is what I'm looking for in a stroller:

-large canopy like on the Zooper Twist!
-decent size basket for a quick shopping run
-adjustable footrest
-multiple position reclining seat
-ergonomic handles
-weighs @ 14 lbs. or less
-holds child up to 45+ lbs.
-1 hand fold with carry strap
-Spend $150-200 at the most

Basically we need a lightweight stroller for shopping, traveling by planes, trains and automobiles. Will keep the Metrolite and we already have an all-terrain.

Thanks again!

AnnieW625
02-24-2009, 11:04 PM
I'd just go with the Maclaren Quest. I love my Triumph and it's been our main stroller since DD was three months old. I actually wish I would've gotten the Quest (better recline for sleeping, but DD still does okay with the single recline of the Triumph) I have been super happy with the MAC. We use it for everything to the mall, to Disneyland, to public transportation, and airports. I am sure that the Quest will do just as well as the Triumph. I don't know why people complain about the sun shade on the MACs so much I've never had an issue thinking mine is too small, and it expands for naps (this even works for us when we are at Disneyland!). The MACs will hold a child up to 55 lbs. The fold on this stroller is amazing; it takes up no room. I have never seen a Zooper Twist in person before, but the baskets from the photos online look to be about the same size. We can put DD's backpack (child size) in the basket with no issues, but I don't think I would put more than fruit, cheese, a quart of milk, and a small loaf of bread in the basket (you might need to stick to you all terrain or the Metrolite for walks to the market).

You can also get a sun shade extender: http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_ray.php

Momof3Labs
02-25-2009, 12:48 AM
I find the sunshade on the Macs to be relatively useless if you are moving around (changing angles in relation to the sun), and the basket is pretty small too. They are also quite tippy when you have a bag hanging on the back and remove the child.

I'm not too familiar with the other strollers you are considering but think that your list of criteria looks pretty good although IME a carry strap is not very important unless you use public transportation. Does a Mac have a one-hand fold? I guess that it does, though you have to bend down to the ground to pick it up after folding, which negates some of that convenience.

AnnieW625
02-25-2009, 02:51 AM
yes the MAC has a one handed fold, you only need your hands to push it down you collapse it with your feet, and pick it back up but it's really no harder than using a one handed fold stroller like the Inglesina Zippy; the only other stroller w/one handed fold I tried; yep it was easy, but I still had to bend down and pick it up. Yes it is tippy, but otherwise it's truly a perfect stroller for running quick errands, PT, and pulling it in and out of the car.

Do a search on this site for the UppaBaby G-Luxe. I recall a couple of weeks ago there being a post about how someone didn't like the fabric in comparison to the Quest. There was also a post last week about the newer Arias not being as well made as they once were too.

meme9300
02-25-2009, 08:16 AM
The g-luxe is not impressive AT ALL. The fabric on the canoy feels like spandex pants. I don't get why everyone is so up on it. I think it is like a glorified BRU stroller!!!

Steering on the Inglesinas is kind of spotty...

Just go with the quest and get a kidopottomus ray shade or a shade extender. You can't beat the Mac!

staceannd
02-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Now is there any difference with an 07 or 08 Quest as opposed to the 09s? $ is key right now! I saw an 07 Quest on a site for $145-150. And I've seen some 08s for $179-199.

kate2128
02-25-2009, 10:58 AM
I vote for the Quest too. I just bought an '07 on ebay for $105. You can't beat the handling and the ease of use IMO.

meme9300
02-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Not sure if the 07 and 08s are different from each other besides color...

There has been some speculation regarding whether or not the 09s have a bit larger sunshade than the 08s or not....I was told by the folks in Buy Buy Baby that they were exactly the same. I even measured the shades between the two and even though I had heard that there was a 1" difference between them...I couldn't see it (or measure it).....so I got the 08!

bubbaray
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
What about the Maclaren Volo?

ETA -- I missed the recline need. My girls rarely slept in the stroller after about a year.

staceannd
02-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I was going to say he can still fall asleep in a stroller when needed.

I'm really leaning towards the Zooper Twist. I don't know why the Quest isn't doing much for me. Is it really THAT great?! And what makes it better than others?

AnnieW625
02-26-2009, 06:33 PM
I think it's all that, but if you can try out the two in person and see which one you like best. I did go to the Zooper website and I do like all of the extras you get with the Twist (it looks similar to Mac Techno XT), but in my area outside of LA, CA non of the big stores keep Zooper so I can't comment on them more than what I've seen on the web.

staceannd
02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
I love all the little extras the Zooper comes with too! I haven't looked at one in person yet so that's why I'm holding off. Hoping to go stroller shopping in person this weekend and really try some out! The last 2 weekends I was hoping to do the same and we were always rushing and ran out of time! I need to go by myself!!!!

arivecchi
02-26-2009, 09:41 PM
I would go with the Mac. The shade in my Mac Triumph can be pulled all the way to the front (entire top moves forward) so it actually provides a lot of shade. Maybe people don't know that you can do that?

staceannd
02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Can you do that with the Quest as well?

cndnveggie
02-27-2009, 02:14 AM
I would go with the Mac. The shade in my Mac Triumph can be pulled all the way to the front (entire top moves forward) so it actually provides a lot of shade. Maybe people don't know that you can do that?

I'm glad you reminded me about that. I didn't know you could do that, and then I saw a Mac with the sunshade pulled forward when we were at Disneyland. That would make a Mac WAY more attractive to me - I'll have to try it in a store. I wonder if I can do the same thing on my Volo?

WatchingThemGrow
02-27-2009, 08:16 AM
I wonder if I can do the same thing on my Volo?

I think some snaps keep the volo canopy more secure. DD is used to doing it on our Triumph, but popped something on my friend's canopy by pulling on it the same way. I think (hope) it was just some snaps.

purpelina
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
You CAN pull the canopy forward on Mac Quest, or volo or Triumph - if the snaps are positioned in a specific way. basically, the hood will be in place no matter how you attach the snaps, but it won't move if they are upside down so to speak. I remember I was always pulling the hood upfront for my dd, but then took it off to wash, and it didn't work untill I discovered this little trick.
So: the snaps should be positioned "outwards" so to speak. When you take off the hood, you'll see that they can be moved/turned up and down, turn them in a way that the closing thing is facing outwards. then gently turn the hood. Sometimes, especially when stroller is brand new, it doens' turn well, be gentle so you don't brake it. Also, the back of the hood can be snapped to the carrying strap with some clothe pins or whatever, so it gives nice shadeall over. I actualy prefer Triumph over the quest in terms of hood, because the quest has a window on top, and sun shines right through it and gets into child's eyes. And there is no strap in the back to attach the hood.

I noticed that 2009 models have a different snap to attach the hood to the frame, and I'm afraid the turning trick won't work anymore. Sad if that's true...

AnnieW625
02-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking too because when we pull the shade all the down and the extra goes over the handles it clearly blocks DD's face. I am sure you can do the same on all of the MAC strollers, although I've never actually tried a Volo.