PDA

View Full Version : 3 hours to get a prescription

DrSally
02-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Do you want to hear how it took 3 hours out of my day to get an amoxicillin script for DD (ear infection)? After a hectic morning of dealing with sick DD and getting DS ready for school, drop him off at school, run an errand, and go to the dr's ofc for DD. She has an ear infection from a cold. Thought I would stop at Walgreens right on my way home as it would be quicker since I don't have to go through a big store (usually go to Target) and it's right on my way. I wanted to get her started on it right away. That way I could get her home and a nap before picking DS up from school.

Walgreens told me it would take 15 min, great. We waited and it took closer to 45 min. DD was crying b/c she was hungry and tired. I go to pick it up at the desk and they are sooooo slow, "do you have insurance?" I said very irritated, "I gave it to you". Then had me mixed up with someone else in their computer, "no, that's not me, I told you I've never been here before". It took them quite awhile to get me into the computer right and print another label. THEN the woman handing it to me, also the same person who mixed the solution (I saw her shaking it), said she was sick and started coughing! I almost asked for someone else to mix a new bottle, but needed to get out of there. Oh, and they didn't have the right size syringe, so she said I'd have to give 2 syringe's full. OK, well, like I really want to double dip into the medicine with a sick child (I always wash it after dosing).

So, I get home, clean up a poop explosion, and take the medicine out of the bag to give it to her and it's this super wide container with a 3 inch wide open mouth. The pink sugary liquid is drenched down the side of the container, it is sloppy all over the place. Yuck! It just felt totally unhygenic to me. I'm not going to but a syringe into this jar and give it to DD.

So, I called and they said they'd make me a new one. Since It wasn't on my way to DS's school and I didn't want to deal with them again, I told them I would get it somewhere else. The peds office called a new script into Target. Stopped on the way to pick up DS. Pharmacy not open but no note on the door. Picked up DS, stopped on the way back. Walked around the store and waited for them to fill it. When I went to the pharmacy, they said they had a prob b/c the insurance co wouldn't ok filling it again b/c they just filled it. They were able to call and get an override, but that took awhile and then they had to fill it. It took me an hour in Target and I missed DS's nap. THEN, I had to drive back to Walgreens and get a refund.

Thanks if you've read this. I just feel like I wasted so much time and gas today.

elephantmeg
02-24-2009, 09:59 PM
ugh, ugh and super ugh. Hope dd is better soon!

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Oh my goodness! What a nightmare!!

I once had to sit at a Rite Aid about 3 hours while dh was home with a raging 105 fever from an infection stemming from chemo. I thank goodness that my mom happened to be in town to help out so ds1 (who was 1yo then) didn't have to come with me. The wait though was b/c it was the only 24 hour pharmacy in the whole city.

I hope she feels better soon!!

Beth

DrSally
02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
I guess next to your situation, Beth, this was a walk in the park. I shouldn't complain as no one was seriously ill.

tylersmama
02-25-2009, 12:15 AM
That stinks, Sally. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I stopped going to Walgreens after they told me last year that it was going to be SIX hours before they could fill DS's prescription. And they weren't even apologetic about it. I said forget it and went to the grocery store two blocks away where it was filled within 10 minutes. That's how you lose business!

kijip
02-25-2009, 12:21 AM
What a total PITA. At least they are replacing it. I can't believe they had a sick person in compounding or mixing. So gross!

I have had the worst luck with Walgreens. We have always used a local place for the occasional odd prescription but my mom's massive 'scripts were all with Walgreens and it was one error after another, after another. Some big, some small. But always something. When she was staying with us, I transfered them all to the local chain place and it's so much better.

Staraglimmer
02-25-2009, 12:23 AM
uggggg. i'm sorry!

DrSally
02-25-2009, 09:29 AM
That's how you lose business!

Exactly! I couldn't believe how unprofessional they seemed. 6 hours, unbelievable! Now that I'm thinking of it, was it Walgreens that was charged with charging insurance companies too much and making a ton of $$ fraudantly?

KrisM
02-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow. How awful. I've always had good luck with Walgreens. Yours sounds just terrible.

JTsMom
02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Something must be in the air this week- I had a similar experience trying to fill my own Rx. First, the Dr's office called in brand instead of the generic I had requested, I waited in line for a good 20 mins to find that one out. Went home, called the Dr., she wasn't in on Friday, and her partner wouldn't do it (keep in mind this is an Rx for Synthroid, which I've been on for years and years- it's not like I was asking for crack), but she was supposedly checking her messages. Nope. Didn't call it in. Finally I gave up and decided to pay for the brand OOP, went back to the evil empire to pick it up, and find out they had called in TWICE my dosage! Since we were moving that day, I couldn't do a darn thing about it either. THEN, we moved, I called the Dr. on Monday, no apologies- they actually acted like they were put out having to call in the correct dosage (!), went to pick it up and the new pharmacy hadn't done it 6 hours later!

I've also had bad luck with Walgreens in the past- they gave me expired heart meds for DS! There excuse was "it has a short shelf life". Well then don't you think you'd be extra careful to give people stuff that wasn't past the exp date?!?!?

DrSally
02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Something must be in the air this week- I had a similar experience trying to fill my own Rx. First, the Dr's office called in brand instead of the generic I had requested, I waited in line for a good 20 mins to find that one out. Went home, called the Dr., she wasn't in on Friday, and her partner wouldn't do it (keep in mind this is an Rx for Synthroid, which I've been on for years and years- it's not like I was asking for crack), but she was supposedly checking her messages. Nope. Didn't call it in. Finally I gave up and decided to pay for the brand OOP, went back to the evil empire to pick it up, and find out they had called in TWICE my dosage! Since we were moving that day, I couldn't do a darn thing about it either. THEN, we moved, I called the Dr. on Monday, no apologies- they actually acted like they were put out having to call in the correct dosage (!), went to pick it up and the new pharmacy hadn't done it 6 hours later!

I've also had bad luck with Walgreens in the past- they gave me expired heart meds for DS! There excuse was "it has a short shelf life". Well then don't you think you'd be extra careful to give people stuff that wasn't past the exp date?!?!?

Oh Man, on moving day? That's terrible. What was up with that doctor's partner? Why are they even partners if they aren't going to be each other's back up? The nurse at my peds office was the one who called in the scrip for me. I was worried she would have to track down the doctor. Really makes you realize you have to check the dosages and exp. dates when they dispense meds. I've had the pharmacy give 3 times the dose of Zantac for DS. I was so mad. Luckily it is a pretty benign med, but do not mess with my baby. I always check the dates of my epipens before I accept them and ask for the freshest ones--my last ped told me that trick.

lorinick
02-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Target is usually great. My script is always ready in 15 min. or less. I love the way the put the top on the bottles and the shringe works great with it. I left CVS because ever time I went there was a 45+ min. wait always. If I left and came back hours later there was always still some sort of delay. Boy what a day you had.