PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a jogger as an everday stroller?

klb30
02-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to buy as little as possible for my new arrival and was wondering if you can use a jogging stroller for everyday use. What are the pros and cons of trying to use them as opposed to other strollers?

Thanks!

lmariana
02-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I guess it depends mostly on what you do everyday. :) Joggers will be wider (and maybe longer) than traditional strollers, so navigating smaller areas will be more difficult. Other than dimensions, as long as you have the necessary features: age-appropriate recline, desired amenities...you should be happy.

You may also want to consider stroller weights. I love our MBUD, but it's not enjoyable to haul 30 lbs of stroller in and out of the trunk for everyday errands.

WatchingThemGrow
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Do you mean a true jogger with a fixed wheel or a hybrid with a swivel wheel? The length can make a big difference, so consider that.

I do have a BJCED as my everyday double, but it is heavy as PP mentioned. DH goes back and forth about if we would use a Mac double or not.

klb30
02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Do you mean a true jogger with a fixed wheel or a hybrid with a swivel wheel? The length can make a big difference, so consider that.

I do have a BJCED as my everyday double, but it is heavy as PP mentioned. DH goes back and forth about if we would use a Mac double or not.

I'm not really sure what I need. I live in an area that's close to downtown and I'd like to be able to start walking/running the baby as soon as possible, so I would need something that would hold a newborn. I'm just trying not to buy 2-3 different strollers if I don't have to. But if a jogging stroller is too cumbersome for everyday use, it would make sense for me to have something else as well.

Any advice is appreciated!

lmariana
02-26-2009, 10:45 AM

Completely agree! I wouldn't even consider a fixed wheel jogger as an everyday stroller.

Are you considering a specific stroller? Personally, I'd be happy with a MBUS, Mountain Buggy Swift, or P&T sport as an everyday stroller. They are all a nice weight, well-made and will last a lifetime. I've successfully maneuvered a P&T in the mall with no problems. It really didn't feel bulky to me.

bubbaray
02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Its not safe to run with a newborn regardless of the type of stroller.

WatchingThemGrow
02-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Its not safe to run with a newborn regardless of the type of stroller.

Yes. this. What is the age 9 mos, 1year??? I just don't do it.

If you live near downtown and might be jumping on buses, I'd get a Mac with a carry strap and another stroller for your jogger. If you really try to just buy one stroller, you're not going to be able to do the things you want to.

lorinick
02-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't suggest only buying a jogging stroller. It's not light weight enough IMO and is harder to use in tight places malls, doctors offices. That's just how I feel about it anyway.

bubbaray
02-26-2009, 03:26 PM
I was told 1 year was the minimum age for running. I know others here say their dr's told them 6m.

Definitely NOT with a newborn.

lorinick
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I was told 1 year was the minimum age for running. I know others here say their dr's told them 6m.

Definitely NOT with a newborn.

I've heard six months. But nothing before that. I think some of the stroller manufactors say 6mts. I don't anyway no matter what their age is lol.