PDA

View Full Version : Stick with our 02/03 MBUD, upgrade, or something else?

bjessen
02-25-2009, 07:47 PM
I put this on stroller swap too for those who visit both....

I have a 2002/2003 MBUD in what is like an ocean/cloud blue (forget the name). I didn't buy the carrycots back in 2003 since it was all we could do to buy the stroller. Plus, at the time we lived in a planned community and after walks our home was set up so I could roll the stroller right into the house and leave my infant asleep in the stroller, and quietly take out our toddler if I needed. They didn't make the carseat adapter till the following year, and when I called after it came out, they said it wasn't compatible with our stroller.

Now we are looking at using the MBUD again for our 16 month old third child and our fourth child due in July. Our first two children are now 7 & 5 yrs. We have transferred to a different state since, and have an entirely different home...out in the country, no way to roll the stroller in the home and "park" it with a sleeping baby easily. The road is very bumpy, no sidewalks, and walks around our home are mainly on the dirt and grass on the side of the road (or on the grass around the property).

I can see that with four children the convenience of having the car seat adapter for quick strips would be very nice. I also could see where the carrycot could come in handy if the baby is asleep after walks since my children tend to wake easily unfortunately. And, I like the idea of the bumper bar since I've seen after market attachments to hold sippy cups and snacks.

I started looking on craigslist and ebay at newer models to replace ours. I fell in love with the Mediterranean Blue Elite color. Otherwise, I really do not like any of the colors better than our current one. I like that the newer straps on the 2008/2009 models are supposed to fit a newborn better, though we managed okay originally with our model. I found two MBUDs in the 2008+ elite, one in black and another in red in CA on craigslist. I thought I could then get the Med. Blue skins, but I emailed MB and they said they do not sell the elite skins separately (I had hoped since I'd have an elite, they would). I'm not sure I want to spend so much (even after selling my older MBUD) on a color I'm not crazy about.

When I emailed MB and they said after 2005 they started making their parts backwards compatible. So, while finding carrycots in our color will be probably a no-go, I could do black, navy, etc fairly easily. I also could add the carseat attachment and bumper bar it sounds like now. Our seats are in great shape still and I really like the ocean/cloud blue color....brings out our children's eyes in pictures. It only has some scratches, and a few easily fixable pieces (cracked black plastic edging on the foot plate).

So, I'm now leaning toward just fixing up the 2002/2003 MBUD model we have and scouring for carrycots, an adapter, and bumper bar. If I buy a single carrycot for the MBUD, I will probably go ahead and buy two of them since we are "leaving the door open" and this pregnancy started out with two sacs (one never developed a bh though)....just in case we ever have twins, I'd be ready, or at least it'd be that much more useful upon resale someday.

So, is there really any thing in the 2008/2009 that would be worth upgrading after the difference in cost (at least $300-$400 after selling our current one)? Or should I just fix our current one up?

Has anyone ever seen the color I'm talking about, and if so, have you ever seen carrycots for the MBUD in it for sale on here or elsewhere? I don't care that much if I go with black or navy instead, but thought I'd check to see first if our current color ever existed in the carrycots.

Are there any other strollers I should consider? I like the Bob Dullie, but it seemed a bit harder to push. Plus, there doesn't appear any bassinet feature, so I'd be back to lifting the baby out after walks. I liked it mainly for the sippy cup holder nets, parent tray, and the large separate canopies, but we do have a sunshade net for our MBUD that works great. I like that the MBUD went through standard doors fairly well most of the time....and all around it served us well with the first two children. It is built like a tank and pushes very nicely.

Also, for MBUD, what do parents do to shade a toddler when using the bassinet for the baby? We have very fair children. Is there an umbrella attachment or something? That concerns me a bit. We are in the central valley of CA and it gets very hot and sunny here.

Thanks!