PDA

View Full Version : what stroller for NY?

vicster_chin
02-26-2009, 01:14 AM
My SIL is having her first baby and they live in Queens. We want to get them a bunch of stuff for the baby. We were thinking a Snap n Go for the infant carseat and then a Maclaren Volo for when the baby can sit up so they have something like for the subways, etc.

Questions are:

Should we go with the Triump instead of the Volo to get the recline even though it will be a bit heavier? We live in the burbs in California and so don't know what's best given the heavy use of public transportation out there.

Would a Bob or other AT stroller come in handy or is that just not practical for NY?

If an AT stroller is a good idea, are people still preferring the Bob or has the new Baby Joggers surpassed the Bob in foldability, features, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie
02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
I think the snap n go and then the Maclaren would be great. I have the Triumph and it's only about 2 pounds heavier than the Volo and has a little more padding, recline, etc. A full featured AT stroller is great but depending upon her needs she may not use it very often - like will she have to carry it up and down stairs, etc.

AnnieW625
02-27-2009, 02:27 PM
IMHO if you can afford it go $50 or so higher then get them the Maclaren Quest (appx., $199), it has a better recline (3 or 4 position) where as the Triumph only has a one position. I've had the Triumph since DD was 3 mos. old and it's been our main everyday stroller. I love that stroller. It's great for everything. I do wish I would've spent the extra $50 or so and got the Quest because of the recline (we have an almost 3 yr. old that still sleeps in her stroller:)) It's a huge steo up from the Volo, which does nothing for me at all; having even a toddler sit on a mesh seat just doesn't seem comfortable to me. I don't get why people get soo excited about it!

I think the Bob or another AT stroller would also come in handy, but I'd let them pick that out because they'll know what they need and what they don't need.

Charlie
02-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I agree with the above poster about the Quest. While I really like the Triumph, I do think maybe I should have gone with the Quest.

jenny
02-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I agree, get the quest. It has an extendable leg rest option, which is nice so that the kid's legs don't just hang out. My DD is 7 months and she uses the leg rest all of the time.

Also, you can buy a brand new quest on ebay for $150-$180 (including shipping and handling). So check out those deals if you want to save money.

If they're going to use the Mac for subways, it might be convenient to get a 2008 model because it comes with a carry strap for the stroller.

strollerqueen
02-27-2009, 09:41 PM
The Triumph and Volo are better for toddlers, since they have little/no recline. I think the Quest is fine from about 6 months on. If you want one from birth, then get the Techno. It reclines flat, has bigger wheels with suspension, and a bigger canopy.