PDA

View Full Version : MIL and Mother both coming for a visit at the same time OYE

HIU8
02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
My mother and MIL are both coming for Passover. My mother always stays with us b/c there is no place to stay at my sister and BIL's house--plus, they won't let my mother in (long story, but they are pigs and my sister just doesn't want to hear it from my mother). My brother no longer speaks to any family unless he needs/wants something, so staying with him is out. MIL has to stay with us. DH is her only living child. I have one spare bedroom with a futon. I have a sleep sofa in the family room. Who do I offend by not giving them a private room???? They both have to share the bathroom with DS and DD upstairs. I have one spare closet. Do I let them both hang their things in there? If MIL sleeps downstairs she takes over my laundry room and I simply cannot function in her chaos (she is a messy slob when it comes to where her things land). I really wanted to spend some alone time with my mother. How do I do that without making MIL feel bad. I guess I just don't. I so want this holiday to be over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

august_mommy
02-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I would let MIL stay in the spare bedroom and ask your Mom to sleep in the living room, that way when you MIL goes to bed in the evening you can spend some extra time with your Mom. Then again, it's only based on my experience with my mom and MIL. I know my mom would understand and there would be no hurt feelings. Good luck! Holidays will be over soon.

HIU8
02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
This is what I was thinking. That way I don't have to see my MIL's mess everywhere. We can keep it contained to one room. My mother is infinitely neater and cleaner so I don't have to worry about her.

bubbaray
02-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Can they flip for it? Swap every other night?

Eyyyyyyy yi yi. Better you than me. GL!

HIU8
02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, I knocked it down to 4 nights for MIL to be here. My mother will be here 2 nights prior and 2 nights after so she will get to sleep in the room those times I guess. I am so not looking forward to this. I know that my mother and I make MIL nervous b/c we are always cleaning up after ourselves in the kitchen. MIL told me this, and I have seen firsthand how she cooks. I am very careful what I eat at MIL's to say the least.

ha98ed14
02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Not to mock your pain, but I think this story has a simple solution: Sis and BIL are terrible housekeepers and they don't want to hear it from your mom, and your MIL gets nervous about people who actually DO clean up after themselves. Seems to me the easy solution is to send your messy MIL to stay in the pig sty that your sister lives in :) while you and your mom enjoy each other's company (and cleanliness).

JTsMom
02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Can you give your room to your mom and you sleep in the living room? Or maybe tell your mom that your MIL makes you nuts, so you want to give her a place away from you? I can't imagine she'd be offended if you put it that way.

HIU8
02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
:hysterical: Oh, I have thought about doing just that!! Believe me. However, MIL HATES BIL and thinks my sister is a doormat (which she is). I don't hate MIL enough to have her stay there. If I did though............

HIU8
02-26-2009, 12:43 PM
My mom is not offended by any of this actually. I'm perterbed b/c my MIL can be a pain and I really wanted a nice holiday with my own mother. And my house is like a hotel when this happens. It just drives me nuts for the time everyone is here.