PDA

View Full Version : San Diego hotels?

new_mommy25
02-26-2009, 06:49 PM
My family of 4 will be in SD the first weekend of May. We'll be doing Sea World and the Zoo. We'll have a rental car. Can someone please recommend a hotel for the area? We've never been there before so aren't sure what the area is like. Thank you.

egoldber
02-26-2009, 07:06 PM
We stayed at the Residence Inn Mission Valley this past summer. It was perfectly nice and a great location.

pinay
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Lots of hotels in the area- what price range or amenities are you looking for?

Zansu
02-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Homewood Suites - Liberty Station is near Sea World. Nice setting, free breakfast and weekday dinners, and connected via greenbelt to a great park

new_mommy25
02-27-2009, 03:45 AM
Lots of hotels in the area- what price range or amenities are you looking for?

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

I am looking for central location, clean rooms with comfy bedding. Breakfast is definitely a perk. A great pool would be fantastic. DH likes to stay at Hilton because of his HH so I am looking into those as well. We don't want to pay more than $100-150.

Tondi G
02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
It may end up being more expensive but we stayed at the Hyatt in Mission Bay last spring break. They just did a huge renovation and they put in several waterslides etc in the pool area.... one for little ones and 2 larger ones that they allowed us to take our 2 year old on. My boys LOVED the pool area and are begging to go back! Stay in the tower rooms and ask for the marina view. Just something to consider! You can sign up for their Hyatt club and they offer AAA discounts as well.

I've heard good things about the SD Marriott hotel and Marina.

This site can be helpful... http://www.localwally.com/

I always check over on Tripadvisor.com to read recent reviews of hotels!

new_mommy25
03-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the localwally link Tondi. It looks like the Mission Bay area is the place to stay. I'm thinking about trying priceline and keeping my fingers crossed!

mom2binsd
03-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Be careful off some of the Mission Bay hotels, some may look good on the websites but not all are that nice...

Tondi G
03-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I second that ... there are many hotels in Mission Bay that are not that nice! That said my neighbors all went down to SD last fall and had booked in at the Bahia hotel. I read some not so great reviews about the place on trip advisor but their MIL had booked it already with a AAA discount and they were going. Who was I to spoil their trip so I kept my mouth shut! They came back and said while it wasn't a new hotel it was fine... right on the bay... they loved having the bike trails all around and they had a good time. SO as long as you aren't super picky/finicky it will likely be fine!

Have a great trip... San Diego is a lot of fun!

Oh and I wanted to add... Coronado is nice and there are a few hotels over there that would be good for families. If nothing else take a trip over and see the Del and hit the beach there!

arivecchi
03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I second that ... there are many hotels in Mission Bay that are not that nice! That said my neighbors all went down to SD last fall and had booked in at the Bahia hotel. I read some not so great reviews about the place on trip advisor but their MIL had booked it already with a AAA discount and they were going. Who was I to spoil their trip so I kept my mouth shut! They came back and said while it wasn't a new hotel it was fine... right on the bay... they loved having the bike trails all around and they had a good time. SO as long as you aren't super picky/finicky it will likely be fine!

Have a great trip... San Diego is a lot of fun!

Oh and I wanted to add... Coronado is nice and there are a few hotels over there that would be good for families. If nothing else take a trip over and see the Del and hit the beach there!

We stayed at the Loews Coronado with our son when he was only 13 months and had a blast. The hotel is more expensive but I would check and see if they have any deals. The hotel is GREAT for kids - very accomodating. Kiddie pool, kiddie meals, cribs and toiletries upon request, kiddie toys in the room. My son had a great time there!

http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Hotels/San-Diego-Resort/Overview.aspx

Tondi G
03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
ANGIE!!!

I just got something in the mail TODAY from the Hyatt in Mission Bay. Says reserve a room prior to april 30th for travel March through May 22nd and recieve a special rate of $169/night on a standard room. Promotion code BK2MB

on the bottom is says Slide into spring offer vaild 3/1/09 to 4/22/09 which is really odd to me. and it says reservations must be made in advance by 3/1/09 ... why did they send it to me on 3/209 then???

Anyways... you can always call them and see if they will honor the price/code. If that is within your price range. It's a great hotel and the pool area rocks!

new_mommy25
03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Thank you!! I have been eyeing the Hyatt but at $225 it seemed way out of our price range. I'm going to call and see if I can get the promo. You rock!

StantonHyde
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Homewood Suites and Pt Lomas--got a 2 bedroom suite. Awesome breakfast. Very accessible to many things.