PDA

View Full Version : RSV - Holw long does this last???

amldaley
02-27-2009, 07:47 AM
UGH. I just started my new job last Tuesday. Friday we too dd to UNC Chapel Hill for her hips to be examined. So, had to take a day off for that. Saturday she started feeling not so great. Monday night we had her in the ER and she tested positive for RSV.

I have taken Tue-Thursday off to be with her. She is still super sick, but I MUST go to work today and tomorrow. Husband is staying home with her today.

It just seems to keep getting worse. Dr said worst symptoms hit around day 4. Well, she was already showing symptoms Saturday/Sunday and really popped up on Monday. Her fever is still in the 102 - 103 range whenever the Tylenol wears off. I worry about giving her so much Tylenol and Motrin - kidneys and liver and all that.

Poor thing is MISERABLE. When she starts coughing she can't stop. She is gasping for air. Dr said if it gets "really" bad to bring her to the ER. But when we went to the ER last Monday, we were told it would be an 8 - 10 hour wait. So, they ran the tests on her and set up an appointment with her Ped for the next day instead.

How long does this thing take? The info online says 7-21 days. You have got to be kidding me. 21 days???????? Anyone deal with this with an infant? DD is 7 mo old. Anyone have any recommendations??????

Melbel
02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
RSV can be a very serious illness requiring hospitalization. IME, things can also quickly take a turn for the worse. When DD1 was 14 months, she was hospitalized for several days. We had just been to the pediatrician the day before, but she crashed by the next morning with oxygen levels in the 80s. I am shocked that the hospital would not evaluate an infant more quickly. That is absolutely outrageous to me. I would tell them that she is having difficulty breathing and that should get you seen right away at least to test her oxygen levels and listen to her chest.

Do you know the signs of labored breathing? Are you giving nebulizer treatments with albuterol? Using a humidifier?

With real high fevers, we were advised to alternate Tylenol/Motrin giving one or the other every 4 hours. The higher a fever gets, the more difficult it is to get a handle on and bring down to a reasonable temperature.

I am so sorry that you are having a difficult return to the workforce. I have been there. As hard as it is with a new job, while your DD1 is so sick, she has to be your priority. It is great that your DH can help out. If your work is not understanding in this situation, they are not the employer for you IYKWIM. Sending some P & PT that your DD will be feeling better soon.

ThreeofUs
02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm SO sorry your poor LO is going through this! RSV stinks, and it lasts forever.

Get a rented nebulizer in the house - why didn't they send you home with one, as well as a script for the steroids?? - you may need it quickly.

egoldber
02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Did they test her oxygen levels? Were they OK? (high 90s)

When Amy had RSV at 9 weeks her oxygen levels were in the 80s and dipped into the 60s during coughing spasms. She was in the hospital for 4 days, basically just to be on oxygen. Once her levels got back to the 90s and stayed there, they released her.

I would watch for....

listlessness/lethargy
sleeping too much/through meals (they sleep to conserve oxygen)
lips turning blue

At any of those signs go to ER and say she is having trouble breathing.

I would say it did take Amy a full 3 weeks to get better.

Melbel
02-27-2009, 10:04 PM
How is your DD doing? I have been thinking about you today and hope that she is feeling better.

amldaley
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
O levels were checked at ER and twice at Ped...99, 99, 95. I suspect they maybe a little lower but still in mid 90's based on the fact that she has remained playful and laughing. She did sleep alot but since her fever finally broke yesterday, she has slept less. Her appetite has been at about 80%, but still plenty.

She is doing MUCH better today, no fever, happy etc. My big concern is that the chest congestion is still bad and she gets in these coughing, gagging fits. Dr ok'd her to go back to daycare tomorrow but I am not sure how I feel about that.

She has been a cling-wrap baby throughout - sje really is only happy when she is right with us. She refused to take a bottle from DH most of the weekend, only taking an ounce or two to take the edge off and then nursing on me for hours on end when I got home.

I am secretly hoping for a snow storm so they'll close my office tomorrow!!!!