PDA

View Full Version : lp me choose please: peg Pliko or Aria + which year?

purpelina
02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi all!
(Sorry,this is a long post)

I'm looking for a lightweight everyday/travel stroller, and my search led me to Peregos, but I don't know much how this brand evolved, what improvements were made on models produced in say last 3-4 years. I see good deals on my local CL, plus ebay is my next best friend, but I just don't know much about these strollers to make a good =desicion.

Some background: I once had a hand-me-down perego (venezia, I think), and I had a love/hate relationship with it. I always thought it has the best design ever, with all features you might need, so I loved it. But wheels where terrible, horrible, hardly rolling over smooth surface, especially when I flipped the handle to face the baby, so I HATED it...And thought never in my life will I push another perego!

But promises to oneself are made to be broken, and now is such time :)
My youngest dd is a finicky lil' thing. Shejust turned 10 months. She loves sleeping in fully reclined position (or as close to it as possible), she either hated or plainly didn't like Maclarens except a techno, but techno seemed to me too big to lug around on a bus, plus basket is small and kinda shallow. Don't get me wrong, i LOVE maclarens, had all of them at one time or another, and my oldest dd loved nothing better than a Mac. Well, this dd is different. She also "likes" suspension (which also only techno would have) and a bumper bar (which a mac global would have, but I have my doubts about this stroller).

Now as you probably can see, I am a Mac gal, and I could answer you pretty much any question on a Mac, like what was different on a given model in a given year (fabric type and color, harness type, tippyness factor, brakes etc). Now I'm looking for someone knowledgeable in Perego area...

Main diff I see: pliko has 2 handles, and my toddler can step on the back platform, but I much prefer a single bar that aria has, and aria seems to be lighter?

Both have suspension, big rotating hood... BTW can I unsnap the hood in the back? sometimes it helps to pivot it further forward, when the sun is in the eyes, esp. afternoon sun. Does this feature differ on diff. models / years?

I also plan a trip to Europe this spring or summer. There won't be much of a cobble stone, but some cracked sidewalks for sure. so something to take on a plane, then on a small european car, and keep closed in a smallish european apartment, yet comfy for baby, for sleeping and riding in it - that's what I'm looking for. After hours of serach I think I found a new friend - a peg-perego :)

I just saw an aria MT in very good condition on local CL - for $50. Seems like a good deal, even if it gets banged up on the aeroplane...

Anyway, thoughts and rec's are very welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I ruled OUT some strollers, here they are:

BJCM, combi's , graco's, chicco's, inglesina's...
There seem to be more negs thn positives about those, I just don't want to go into detail, since my post is long anyway. But maybe later, down the road...

PegPeregoUSAOnlineAssoc
03-09-2009, 10:48 AM
How is your search coming? Have you had the opportunity to test out Peg Perego products at an authorized retailer? That may be the best way to know which stroller is right for your DD.

I'd also like to say something about the poor performance of your Venezia:

Pre-used strollers are notorious for having issues such as what you experienced with your Venezia. The most common reasons for this come down to basic maintenance (this is often overlooked in a re-sell scenario) and wear and tear (many users are harder on their strollers than we'd like to think).

Perhaps this played a part in your Venezia's performance?

Also, I don't want to steer you away from an Aria, but are you aware that it doesn't have an umbrella fold? (Just checking because the other strollers you mentioned do have it)

firsttimemama
03-09-2009, 07:02 PM
IMO the P3 is a much better stroller than the Aria and would meet more of your requirements. I own a P3 and was also deciding between Aria & P3 when I bought. I bought an 07 to save $ because there wasn't much difference in the 08 - that's all I know about versions/model years. I *think* the hood unsnaps

vludmilla
03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
IMO the P3 is a much better stroller than the Aria and would meet more of your requirements. I own a P3 and was also deciding between Aria & P3 when I bought. I bought an 07 to save $ because there wasn't much difference in the 08 - that's all I know about versions/model years. I *think* the hood unsnaps

I agree with this. I would not get the Aria.

purpelina
03-16-2009, 02:38 AM
OK, I'll try the P3 in a store.
Just to double check:
Pliko lite does NOT have tray/bumper bar, right?
I'm also in love w/ Peg Switch, but it's more expensive and a bit more stroller than I need.

Also, what about venezias? Supposingly, newer ones have better wheels, but altogether this model is not produced anymore?

strollerqueen
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
That is correct. The Lite was a stripped down model of the P3. You might want to check out the latest version, the Si'. It is really nice. It reclines more than the Lite, is "lighter", and steers better. Not that the Lite was bad; it's just that the Si' is superb. It should be out soon. And yes, the Venezia was replaced by the Uno.

purpelina
03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
thanks strollerqueen! Now I have a clear idea of pegs line up. And I was actually looking at Si's too, seems that Albeebaby even started shipping them now :)

strollerqueen
03-17-2009, 03:15 PM
OOO, really? That's exciting! Are you getting one?

purpelina
03-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh, just checked albeebaby and it says about Si "this item will ship in April", well, this stroller doesn't have bumper bar either...
So I have to revert to plan A and go back to Pliko p3, I suppose :)

bubbaray
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
The Si d/n have a toddler step, either (at least from the pic's I've seen).

Sounds like the P3 would be perfect for you for a trip to Europe -- the toddler step will come in handy there. I love my P3!

ETA -- and like any other stroller, you need to maintain it -- silicone spray is a stroller's best friend. NOT WD-40.