PDA

View Full Version : Layover time in airport

army_mom
02-28-2009, 12:51 PM
DD and I are going on our first travel adventure (just the two of us) and need to book airline tickets. She will be about 4 1/2 months old...what is the minimum layover time I should book between flights? I only have a choice of an hour or 3 1/2 hrs. (we'll be going thru Dallas Fort Worth). We will have a terminal change.

I'm thinking if I gate check a stroller, an hour will not be enough because we will have to wait for them to download it. But if it's only an hour layover, do I really need to bring a stroller? (our family has one waiting for us when we get there). I'll be bringing the sling also.

Also, how do you change a diaper on a plane? I think the big jets have a changing station but what about the smaller planes for shorter flights?

TIA for any advice or tips for our first travelling adventure!

KrisM
02-28-2009, 12:57 PM
DD and I are going on our first travel adventure (just the two of us) and need to book airline tickets. She will be about 4 1/2 months old...what is the minimum layover time I should book between flights? I only have a choice of an hour or 3 1/2 hrs. (we'll be going thru Dallas Fort Worth). We will have a terminal change.

I'm thinking if I gate check a stroller, an hour will not be enough because we will have to wait for them to download it. But if it's only an hour layover, do I really need to bring a stroller? (our family has one waiting for us when we get there). I'll be bringing the sling also.

Also, how do you change a diaper on a plane? I think the big jets have a changing station but what about the smaller planes for shorter flights?

TIA for any advice or tips for our first travelling adventure!

I'd do the hour. The stroller will be waiting when you get off the plane.

jerigirl
02-28-2009, 01:11 PM
At DFW an hour should technically be enough time. The new shuttle system/people mover has really helped with expediting traveling around the terminals. I am not sure what terminals you are moving from. It will just depend on if your first flight is on time or not. If you end up doing the 3.5 hour layover, the new Terminal D at DFW has several restaurants and places to eat. You could go there and kill sometime even if your not flying in/out of there. It is the international terminal.

I am not sure if smaller planes have the diaper changer in the lavatory or not. Good Luck!

ETA: if you gate check your stroller, it will be waiting for you when you get off. One thing to think about if you don't have the stroller is where are you going to put her when you potty? Can you do that with the sling? (I don't know, I haven't ever used one...) Also remember to try to nurse, or give a bottle or paci during take off and landing to help relieve pressure on her ears.

egoldber
02-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I will disagree. While your stroller *may*be waiting for you, I have often had to wait 15 minutes for a gate checked stroller. Your other flight will begin boarding 30 minutes ahead of time, so you could easily only have 15 minutes to get from one gate to another. And you will need to get another stroller tag for your stroller at the second gate. And if your first flight is at all late, you could easily miss your flight and/or your bag may not make it.

*Personally* I would rather kill time in an airport than risk missing my connection or having my bag misplaced. Especially a big airport like that with lots to do.

WatchingThemGrow
02-28-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd wear the baby (still small enough at that age to tinkle while wearing, right?), take the shorter layover and enjoy the carefree travel. I did it with 5 week and 5 mo. DS and thought it was a lot less hassle than dealing with trying to bend over, fold a stroller, etc.

Wear a backpack as a diaper bag and change the baby in the airport every chance you get - don't try to do it on the plane if you can at all help it. I've never had a changing table on a plane.

MmeSunny
02-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I have flown about half a dozen times with my daughter and I have NEVER had the stroller waiting for me when I got off the plane. Not once. When we flew last summer, the pilot himself had to go and find the darn thing and was gone, digging around the bottom of the plane for over 15 minutes. This was after 30 min of waiting for the stroller.

So if you do decide to take the stroller, go for the longer layover.

Also, every plane I have been on has had a changing table, but it's not necessarily in every bathroom. Usually one of the BR at the back has it, but the other may not. Also, they are not easy to spot. Usually it's a little panel that folds right up into the wall and latches closed. Ask a flight attendant when you board which BR has the changing area. Also, they are very cramped and usually don't have a belt, so if there is turbulance, you will NOT want to lay your sweet babe on what amounts to a trampoline for their head.

(Avoiding changing diapers ON the plane is another reason for that longer layover. . . )

nfowife
03-01-2009, 05:26 AM
If you opt for the longer layover, you can go to the USO lounge. DFW has one for military ID cardholders and they are usually great. Internet access (computers are there), free food, a kids area with changing table, pack 'n play, toys, rocking chairs, etc., and it's a nice place to relax. We always use them when we are travelling if they are available.