PDA

View Full Version : If wine had ANYTHING to do with the conception...

Happy 2B mommy
03-01-2009, 12:42 AM
...IT SHOULD BE ALLOWED DURING THE PREGNANCY!

That is the type of day I've had. 'Nuff said.

lizajane
03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
seriously, some things are just SO logical, they really should be implemented or voted into law.

srhs
03-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Okay, preparing to :duck:, but I must be the only one whose CNMs told her to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner on occassion...and who followed this advice to no ill. With DC2, we had to switch providers. I asked them if this advice was different. They laughed and said it was fine.

kijip
03-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Okay, preparing to :duck:, but I must be the only one whose CNMs told her to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner on occassion...and who followed this advice to no ill. With DC2, we had to switch providers. I asked them if this advice was different. They laughed and said it was fine.

No, my midwife said the same and frankly the only thing that kept me from drinking (occasionally and lightly) was an aversion to alcohol that I had most of the pregnancy. I did have a touch of champagne election night and at Thanksgiving to no ill impact. I have friends that have a glass of wine everyday after the 1st trimester nausea with their doctor's knowledge and no issues.

jgenie
03-01-2009, 02:58 PM

My doctor said the same thing.

dotgirl
03-01-2009, 03:06 PM
My doctor said the same thing. And! I went on a wine tour of the Mondavi Vineyards at 7 months pregnant. You should have seen the looks I got.

I actually only tasted (and spat), except half a glass of a dessert wine. Probably the most fun I had the entire pregnancy.

JMS
03-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I only have two weeks to go and have had a serious craving for an Amstel Light for months. Can 1/2 bottle hurt anything?????? I can't tell you what I'd give......

srhs
03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh good, I'm glad I am not the only one! And, although I live in the midwest so it'd never happen, I would not pass up a chance at a Mondavi tasting!
Actually, when I was in labor, my CNM was discussing my med options. I said, "Oh, you should know I had wine at dinner." She laughed and said, "Good."
A DF gives me the hardest time: "You'll drink during pregnancy but not eat lunchmeat???" lol, we all have our comfort levels. I never had more than 1 and not all that often. If I really wanted a taste of something like a margarita, I'd have DH order it so I could sip.
Just IME under my practitioner's advice........not advice for anyone else.

pastrygirl
03-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I had a few sips of wine last week... We were having risotto for dinner, and wine just sounded SO GOOD!

pinkmomagain
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I had an occassional glass of wine for each of my pregnancies......hmmmmmmmm......maybe that explains somethings;-)

gobadgers
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM
If I really wanted a taste of something like a margarita, I'd have DH order it so I could sip.

I've hijacked DH's beverage order too!

I'm a lot more relaxed during this pregnancy than the first one. I've split a beer with DH at home a couple times and had my own glass of wine once. My hat's off to those who can have a drink in public though - I still haven't been able to get myself to do it.

niccig
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I've hijacked DH's beverage order too!

I'm a lot more relaxed during this pregnancy than the first one. I've split a beer with DH at home a couple times and had my own glass of wine once. My hat's off to those who can have a drink in public though - I still haven't been able to get myself to do it.

We were in Spain for a vacation when I was 5 months pregnant. The wait staff at restaurants would ask what wine I wanted, they didn't bat an eye that I was obviously pregnant. Here, I never got asked. I would take a sip of DH's occasionally and at home I would have a small glass here and there. After the first trimester, my OB was really relaxed and said a little now and then wouldn't hurt. But I suppose they have to say none, so people don't go on binges.

jgenie
03-01-2009, 09:01 PM
We were in Spain for a vacation when I was 5 months pregnant. The wait staff at restaurants would ask what wine I wanted, they didn't bat an eye that I was obviously pregnant. Here, I never got asked.
I had the same experience in Portugal - and they have all those nice little half bottles to choose from - I had a sip of DH's wine, but didn't order any for myself. Hmmm...we need to go back when I stop nursing!!

pb&j
03-01-2009, 09:46 PM
My OB always says that if it's good for the mother, it's good for the baby. He had no problem with a glass of wine on occasion. I craved beer during my pregnancy w/DS. I don't even like beer, but I had.to.have.it. I'd have a couple of sips of DH's almost every night in the 2nd and 3rd tri.

lizajane
03-01-2009, 09:53 PM
is it a sign that all of this talk about wine and pregnancy makes me want to hurl?

mommylamb
03-02-2009, 04:03 PM
I would have a glass of wine once a week during my last month of pregnancy with DS. But I think I'll be less nervous about it the second time around... you need that little glass every once in a while.