PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Monitor suggestions

DaisyJ
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I am getting ready to finalize my registry and am looking for a good monitor, any suggestions?
Thanks
DaisyJ

jbrandy
03-01-2009, 11:37 AM
The sony babycall worked very well for us and didn't break the bank! We bought ours from Baby R Us online.

Thanks!

Nyfeara
03-01-2009, 11:58 AM
We liked the Sony Babycall too. We had a FP monitor to start with, but had too much interference. The Sony worked so much better for us.

kijip
03-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Add in my vote for that Sony BabyCall. We had one with T that worked great. And we got one this time that we have not had to use much yet but there is no interference, even in a cluster of townhouses.

Melbel
03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
We are also happy w/ the Sony Babycall. If you prefer a video monitor, consider the following:

Summer Color Video Baby Monitor - $49 (reg. $199) at Big Lots
Today's ad for Big Lots has the Summer Color Video Handheld Baby Monitor for $49. This is normally $199. I have two of these units and they're very, very good.

Link to the product on Amazon ($155 there, 4 stars with 157 reviews):
http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infa...271&sr=8-1

Big Lots weekly ad:
http://www.biglots.com/Specials/W...aunch.aspx

WatchingThemGrow
03-01-2009, 02:59 PM
We really liked the Graco iMonitor until DD ran off with the handset and lost it.

We looooooooove the Summer Handheld with the huge screen. We have a camera in each kid's room http://www.amazon.com/Night-Handheld-Color-Monitor-Screen/dp/B0009U910G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1235933837&sr=8-7

jent
03-01-2009, 03:11 PM
We have the FP Sound & Lights long range monitor & it works great. We have wireless, cell phones & cordless phones and don't get any interference.

Oh, and in case you're wondering what the lights will be useful for (I did!), sometimes you might hear noises (kids playing outside, cats meowing) that will sound like they could be the baby-- but if you look over at the lights on the monitor & see that they're dark, all is well. (Probably other monitors have this feature too.)

LMPC
03-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Ditto on the sony babycall. All I wanted was a basic monitor to hear DD. I don't get a lot of interference and can hear her very clearly. It has a plug but also charges up for portability. I don't remember it being terribly expensive.

SASM
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I've heard good things about the Phillips one but that was too expensive for us. We have been quite happy with the Graco iMonitor, as it is very clear and reliable. We have had it in two homes (3-level townhouse in a neighborhood filled with kids/monitors and a sprawling ranch) without any interference issues. It is very small and portable, plus I really like having that little antenna loop for ease of carrying with loaded hands and no pockets. We never have it off of the charging dock for long so I cannot vouch for the battery life. Purchased from target.
http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Digital-Deluxe-iMonitor-Monitor/product-reviews/B0009UBSFC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

neeleymartin
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
we also love the baby call. like that you can put in special mode. you don't hear the constant hiss. just turns on when baby makes noise.

we also have a video monitor by summer infant. we use both. we only check in the video when we hear noises. extra sense of security for us.

boringmember
03-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Do you all think a video monitor is worth it?

reissgirl
03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
We have the Graco imonitor and like it. The battery life is really not great (I guess that will bother me more in the summer when we're out on the deck). It's so clear that I can hear DS breathing. I usually keep it on the lowest volume so I only hear crying.

eliasmom
03-02-2009, 05:07 PM
The Sony BabyCall was a bust in our condo - it got tons of interference (and I tried ALL the channels) and would do an annoying "out of range" beeping thing even though, trust me, our condo is not that big and there is no WAY its range is that short. I gave it to my parents for when they babysit at their house and it works great there!

Do you all think a video monitor is worth it?

Honestly, I think it depends on your personality and on your child. We didn't get our Summer video monitor (which I L-O-V-E) until DD was about 18 months and trying to climb out of her crib... now I wonder how I lived without it. I initially didn't want a video monitor because I figured I didn't really need it and I didn't want to be an obsessive parent staring at my child all the time. I normally keep the video function off and just tap it on to see what DD is up to if I see the sound indicator light up. There have been many occasions when DD was making a crying-type noise in her crib, but was actually still asleep. If I had been using an audio monitor, I would have busted in there and missed out on another hour of napping!