PDA

View Full Version : Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders crib toy

musicalgrl
03-02-2009, 01:34 PM
A friend told me that the Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders crib toy was one of the best baby gifts she received and her daugther still falls asleep to it, even though she's now 3!

I went online to register for it, and of course there's a newer model out now, which has mixed reviews. Popular opinion seems to be that the older one was MUCH better. Anybody have expererience with either of these models...OR even another 'crib soother' that they really liked? Someone in a review on TRU said they really liked the rainforest one.

thanks!!!

ohiomom1121
03-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Both of my kids had the older version of the Ocean Wonders toy and LOVED it. My son is 21/2 and still puts in on to go to sleep and again when he wakes up in the morning. I thinkg the newer one is actually cuter, but I did read that it was a little louder (the mechanics when the fish move). I'm sure you could probably find a used one on Craigslist or ebay if you really want that one!

srhs
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
We have the older one. It's pretty cute. It's never worked to get DS to sleep but it has to entertain him for awhile.
I'm sure you could find it at a baby consignment shop.
I also saw them in my WalMart's clearance aisle (not in the toys or baby section) recently at a great price.
GL

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
We have the old Ocean Wonders, the old Peaceful Planet aquarium and the Rainforest Fisher Price crib toys. They are all fun and soothing. He likes the Rainforest one the best. That one was just discontiuned so you still might be able to find it on shelves. I have seen the Ocean Wonders' aquarium at Once Upon a Child near me.

Beth

graffl
03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I just looked at the new one and it is so fancy!!!!!

I can't believe they managed to build a remote for this toy. My daughter loved it too. It is years later and the music immediately came back to me as I read your post. She used to kick the button with her foot as she got older to let us know when she was awake instead of crying.

We had a mobile with classical music, but it only lasted a few months because it is dangerous when they are old enough to pull it down.

Radosti
03-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I asked MIL for one for DS2 for the holidays. She got him one with little fishies, a clam and bubbles. He loves it. I have seen ones with a single fish that moves in stores.

Ceepa
03-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Old style (with clam and starfish):
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-2787651reg.jpg

Then I think it went to this one (fish swim in circle from front to back of aquarium):
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-2786395_alternate1_reg.jpg

And it looks like there's one styled after the popular old style (with clam and other fish):
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-2787651_alternate2_reg.jpg

Here's the one with the remote control:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XyRjPxZzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

*I could be wrong about the order in which these were released

mamaoftwins
03-02-2009, 05:30 PM
In Ceepa's list, the 2nd one down is what I would refer to as "the old one". I have it, but it took awhile to find it. We also had "the new one" on the bottom of Ceepa's list with the remote.

I didn't find the quality to be much different between the two, but I like the "old one" more due to aesthetic reasons - I thought the fish in the new one was too feminine looking for my boys' room, and I thought the extra sea animals in the old one were cuter. :) The remote was really cool in the new one though! I sold the new one on CL shortly after we got it, and bought the Rainforest one instead. Love that one, too.

Jo..
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
FWIW, I had an aquarium toy and also a FP Rainforest crib toy, and i liked the rainforest one much better. It is also cheaper and has better reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Rainforest-Peek-A-Boo-Waterfall-Soother/dp/B000JIMVV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1236029427&sr=8-1

Radosti
03-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks! We have the first one, but MIL just bought it in December... I wonder where she found it??? DS2 really likes it and plays with it whenever he's hanging out in the crib. He doesn't fall sleep to it though.

jvorhis
03-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I have the old one and now that I am pregnant again 6 years later I am looking for a new one. I hated the old one, it never seemed to stay on long enough.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
We have the Rain Forest one, and at 22 months she still watches her "TV" in her crib. She controls it herself now.

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
We have the 1st one in that list.

Beth

hellokitty
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
We have the original one and my kids liked it, but instead of keeping it on the crib, I put it on the changing table to keep them occupied while I was changing their diapers. I see them at re-sale shops all of the time for really cheap.

hillview
03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
We had one for each of the boys. NEITHER liked it. My sister had one for DN and he loved it. My girlfriend had one for her DD and she is 3 and still uses it so YMMV. I can't imagine how the versions are really too different to kids.
/hillary

mnosky1
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
We have the first one on the list. DD1 and DD2 have both loved it. They seem to have tons at consignment sales but one caution; My mom bought one at a consignmnet sale recently for her house - and her's doesn't do the bubbles and mine (after pulling it back out for DD2 also doesn't bubble well and has a louder noise when it is supposed to bubble) but DD2 doesn't seem to mind either way. She has a Fisher Price Sooth and Glow seahorse which she seems to like even more.
Michelle

westamp
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
We have the one pictured on the bottom (single fish w/ remote). DS #2 really likes it. He actually falls asleep to it. There are 3 display options: one is music w/o lights & movement (this one is good for sleeping at night); one with just light and no movement and finally one w/ lights and fish movement. I do have to say that if you use option #3 every day, it's a big drain on batteries (stock up on C's).

We're happy with it. It helps DS sleep by himself.

clc053103
03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
DS had the "Flutterbye Dreams" model with birdies that also shined a little birdie picture onto the ceiling. He had 4 total- one on every crib. He LOVED his birdie box. i've seen them come up on ebay now and then.

gobadgers
03-03-2009, 12:47 PM
We got the one with a remote when DD was born. We've really liked it. In fact, it was lifesaver for us plenty of times, we have actually considered bringing it along on some trips. When she was little and having trouble falling asleep, she would turn it on and fall asleep to it (it runs for a while, so we sometimes turn it off with the remote once she's alseep).

Now that she's bigger, it's just a fun toy to occupy her for a little while when she wakes up, before she gets ornery.

I've seen a lot of them at resales (be sure to check that it works though!)

smcdermott
03-09-2009, 05:52 PM
We have the Ocean Wonders mobile - my 4 month old son LOVES it. When he's a little fussy during the day, or can't seem to get to sleep at night, we turn it on and the lights just mesmerize him. He settles right down and goes to sleep. There is a volume control on the sound, but the motor for the mobile is a bit loud, but it doesn't seem to bother the baby at all.

The only drawback is that it churns through batteries pretty quickly, but I guess that's true of most baby toys!

pastrygirl
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
DS had the "Flutterbye Dreams" model with birdies that also shined a little birdie picture onto the ceiling. He had 4 total- one on every crib. He LOVED his birdie box. i've seen them come up on ebay now and then.We have that one, too. My son LOVED it!!!!