PDA

View Full Version : Swing Recommendations?

lava5000
03-03-2009, 05:49 AM
I am trying to finalize my registry, and am having a hard time picking a swing. I like the FP Zen, but it seems so expensive, and I have not heard many reviews on it.
Looking for one that is safe and comfortable, and I like the ones that do not look too babyish.
What do you recommend?

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2009, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't recommend registering for a swing that expensive, honestly. We've found longer-use items to be worth the extra investment, but not a swing. A higher-end stroller or highchair, yes. $$ for a good convertible carseat, yes.

We ended up getting the FP Papasan swing and have been really happy with it. I like the neutral colors.I know what you mean about babyish, but trust me...if you have a baby, you aren't going to get around your place looking like you have a baby. Swings are so big that many people don't want to store them. I see them all the time on Craigslist, gently used for a few months for like 40% off the original price.

Oh, and as far as the "infant seat" detachment thing... When I'm moving the baby from one room to another, I don't want to have to move the gear too. That seems like it would be a pain.

kobie137
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
we love our boppy rock in comfort travel swing from brus. It is meant to fold so you can travel with it, but we don't ever do that - its just nice because it is small and swings quietly. dd spent a lot of time in this in the early days.
most of the reviews on the site are good, we have had no problems and really do like it (mostly for the size-baby stuff gets overwhelming).

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3393696

KrisM
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
I'd probably look for something to borrow to try to see if your baby would like it before spending that much on a swing.

I did spend $120 or so on a swing for #3. I was able to resell it on CL for $80, so I was pretty happy. DS2 loved the swing and it was worth it for $40 to me.

cindys
03-03-2009, 03:41 PM
I registered for the Papasan Swing and received it..It has been so great with both my babies..One is now 3 and the other is 4 months.

It has been one of my fav gifts!

lava5000
03-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Do you think that the papasan swing would be too warm for the baby if you live in a hot climate. It looks warm and cuddly, can the baby stay cool?

GraceH
03-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Actually, I used the Graco swing frame that takes your infant seat and makes it a swing -- it folds flat for storage and sells for about $50 new or $25 on Craigslist -- when you think about it, they don't use the swing for that long (4-5 months), which is not worth spending $100+ for IMO.

srhs
03-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Do you think that the papasan swing would be too warm for the baby if you live in a hot climate. It looks warm and cuddly, can the baby stay cool?
If you are concerned about air circulation, you actually don't have to attach the mesh canopy on which the stars are projected.
That said, I don't think it's too hot. DS hated being hot in his car seat, for example, but never got warm in the swing. I don't live in a hot climate, but summers are still warm.

reissgirl
03-05-2009, 02:14 AM
I also used the FP Pappasan swing and loved it. I got it at Target - I think their version is a little more neutral and it doesn't have the mesh canopy. I really loved that it was able to swing in two directions. DS hated the swing at first and I thought I had spent way too much money on a useless piece of gear until I remembered that I coiuld switch the swing direction and then he loved it! I've seen the FP Zen swing in-person and I don't think it's that nice. It's still very plasticky and doesn't look nearly as nice as it looks in the pictures.