PDA

View Full Version : What to use for dirty diapers?

3blackcats
03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I have heard that it is not worth buying a Diaper Dekor/Genie for diapers as they fill up really fast and you have to buy the refills.

What are the opinions out there? Is it worth buying? If you don't use one, what do you use? What else should I be considering/thinking about?

SnuggleBuggles
03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't bother with an official diaper pail. Newborn baby poop (especially bf ones) don't really smell so you don't need to worry. When they start solids it smells worse but the poop is a bit more solid and you can just flush it. That knocks down the smell so much that you don't need anything special. Just get a lidded (or non, your choice) trash can and call it a day. Some people don't flush the waste but just take the diapers out every day. Either way you really don't need a special diaper thing.

Individually wrapping each diaper just pains the earth loving mom inside me.

jgenie
03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I have a small motion sensored trash can (DH's idea) - I love it.

KrisM
03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a 2.75 year old and a 7 month old and we just use the regular trash can. I dump poop into the toilet and no smell.

hellokitty
03-03-2009, 08:10 PM
A small lidded trash can that you can empty often. It's a great way to reuse those plastic grocery bags.

shawnandangel
03-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Another vote for a small lidded trashcan. I like the ones with a foot pedal so it's easy to open.

ahrimie
03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
We do a regular trashcan too. Most of our diapers are changed downstairs while playing/eating and I put those dirty diapers in a trashcan in the laundry room. Occasionally it smells but when it does, I either just close the door or empty it to the large trashcan outdoors.

Upstairs, we just keep it in a small wastebasket and when it smells I bring it downstairs or outdoors again.

phoebesmom
03-04-2009, 01:32 AM
I have used my DG II since DD was born. (15 mos). It is so nice to not have to run outside every time you have a poopy diaper. (I am really appreciating it this week, as I forgot to take the trash to the curb last week so my can is completely full and I don't have room for a whole sack of diapers, so I am taking them out individually. Or more accurately, leaving them all around DD's room until I get around to making the trip outside!!) Totally worth the, like $10 that I spend/month on refills. And you can always just use reg. trash for tee-tee diapers if you want to make it last longer.

urquie
03-04-2009, 02:13 AM
i really like the diaper champ.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Diaper-Champ-Blue/dp/B000CCEWBY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1236145101&sr=8-1

eta: once dd1 started eating a lot of solids, i moved the "chump" (as we call it :) ) into the hallway right outside her bedroom door. i thought the smell was too strong when it was in her room, but never noticed a smell when it was in the hallway.

infomama
03-04-2009, 03:29 AM
For DD1 we used a Dekor. DD2's dirty dipees go in the trash and it works just fine. I'm trying to pawn the Dekor off onto someone since I hate to see it go to waste.

maestramommy
03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
For our disposables we use the Diaper Champ. Works great! We do flush the poop out before discarding the diaper though.

bubbaray
03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
We used the Diaper Champ until they started solids, then we moved to the (now discontinue) Neat system. We are still using the Neat system.

SASM
03-04-2009, 11:03 PM
I used a Diaper Genie for DC1 b/c I didn't know better...had to have all of the baby gadgets, despite having a super small nursery. :) When DC2 came along, I found that it was too much of a nuisance...and expensive. By that point it was easier for me just to throw them in our small bathroom garbage can in the kids bathroom that was changed either daily or every other day. Now...at DC3, I just toss them in the kitchen garbage that definitely gets changed daily.

ETA: I just read the PP's, I do not empty the feces into the toilet. Too much work when I have a very FAST & wiggly 17mo just waiting to get to the open diaper as I am "closing her up" (doesn't matter how far I place the thing...she'll somehow reach it). Close up the diaper and into a garbage. She eats everything and our house smells fine. :) If I find that it IS a particularly nasty diaper I individually wrap it up and toss into a garbage.

WatchingThemGrow
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
We use the Champ for most of the first year (no refills), then stick the Genie in the room for poopy ones. The wet ones can go in the kitchen trash without ill effects. I'm not into spending time dumping, although I'm sure it works. Lazy, maybe.... but DH empties the Genie 1x/week on his own.

Oh, and I really like something the DC just can't get into easily.