PDA

View Full Version : is bjcm ok to be sole stroller in nyc?

barbara
03-04-2009, 12:06 PM
just wondering for bjcm users in a city, do you think this stroller is sufficient both in being light weight, and also being pretty sturdy to be good for my sole stroller (esp if i get the bassinet add on in the beginning) for at least the first year or so? is it good for long walks in the city? THANKS!

AnnieW625
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I was really impressed with the Baby Jogger City Mini, until I saw the City Elite. I liked the fabric better, as well as the overall feel of the stroller, and it felt like it would do better for long city walks. I ended up not buying either because I didn't want another jogger style stroller that you couldn't actually jog with. I did really like the fold, but for me it was just a tad redundant because we already have a jogger that does well on walks/jogs.

To make a long story short I ended up with a 2007 Uppababy Vista off of Craigslist and so far we've been really happy with it. It handles walks well, and even my 3 ft. tall almost three year old doesn't mind the stroller.

sste
03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
We have the BJCM in a large city and it is our preferred stroller for long walks (I would love the elite or something with air tires but I have to either carry the stroller down the stairs or haul it out of our car trunk, no elevator). I am not sure about the baby jogger mini or elite being an ONLY stroller in NYC though. The reason is that the fold is awesome for the car because it folds flat but in a restaurant it can't be propped up easily and has a large footprint if you leave it unfolded. Also, we find the mini a little large for museums and for narrow sidewalks/crowded streets in a congested downtwon.

So, we have the bjmini for neighborhood walks and weekend trips and a maclaren (triumph or quest is fine, I got a great deal on the techno so I got that) for restaurants, museum, downtown, and air flights.

barbara
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM
is the uppa ok for getting around the city though (restaurants, stores, public transportation)? we were thinking about the uppa but thought the city mini may be more practical for those types of things if it were our only stroller.

AnnieW625
03-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Didn't read the end of your post title to realize you were in NYC! I live in suburban Long Beach (30 mins. south of Los Angeles) and a very different community than NYC for just about everything. I think that if light weight, but compact, and still full of features is what you need then the BJCM would work, but I'd check and see how big the basket is though. It should be easy to get down stairs. Also I don't remember if it came with a bassinet or not. I do remember it having a carseat attachment bar. Good luck!

strollerqueen
03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
You could also take a look at the Mountain Buggy Swift. It is much more compact than the Urban,but still has the ruggedness, air tires, and great maneuverability.

MamaKath
03-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I would look at either the Maclaren Techno or even better- the MB Swift for NYC. While I love the 1 hand fold of the BJCM, I am not impressed with the ones I have seen after months of daily city use.