PDA

View Full Version : 53 minutes

JTsMom
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
That is how long it just took me to get home from the closest Whole Foods and TJ's. And not just 53 minutes- 53 mins through downtown Atlanta traffic and highway construction.

This new city is going to take some getting used to. I'm sure I'll adjust- I just won't be shopping every week now, and I'm going to have to think about growing some stuff, and making more from scratch. All of you who have been complaining about living far from everything can now count me among your ranks.

cmo
03-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Yikes! That is a long haul, though sadly not that excessive by Atlanta standards. The connector is deadly due to all that construction, and it won't be finished anytime soon. I bet it was worth it to get some of your favorites from WF and TJ's, though! They were handing out Whoopie Pie samples at our TJ's yesterday --- big yum. Where are you going to/from? I'm intown, and maybe I can come up with some shortcuts that would help you save time. :-)

WatchingThemGrow
03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
That STINKS! I know my dad complained about his commute into downtown for, ummmmmm.... 20something years. Now that he's been retired for several, he won't move from Atlanta b/c he loves the ability to go to so many unique places and get exactly what he wants.

Did you get some fun stuff you like? We walked to TJ's in the snow the other day and were the ONLY ones in the store. They clapped and yelled for us, then told us to go enjoy some cherry cider and grilled cheese. The place is ALWAYS mobbed, so I was shocked to see it totally empty.

JTsMom
03-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Aww, thanks. I was coming from way south (which is where the worst of the construction was), up 85. I went to the Midtown stores off of 8th St. I think timing was part of the issue- I probably should have left the house closer to 10 instead of 1, b/c from the on ramp, past Turner Field was pretty congested. It's really far, so I think I'm kind of stuck unless I can borrow a helicopter. LOL

We moved from the north side last week, and I'm still kind of in shock at how remote things feel down here. My closest 2 grocery stores have almost no organics, and the prices are pretty high. Maybe if I head over to Peachtree City there would be more to pick from...

JTsMom
03-04-2009, 06:56 PM
That STINKS! I know my dad complained about his commute into downtown for, ummmmmm.... 20something years. Now that he's been retired for several, he won't move from Atlanta b/c he loves the ability to go to so many unique places and get exactly what he wants.

Did you get some fun stuff you like? We walked to TJ's in the snow the other day and were the ONLY ones in the store. They clapped and yelled for us, then told us to go enjoy some cherry cider and grilled cheese. The place is ALWAYS mobbed, so I was shocked to see it totally empty.

LOL, what a reception! Yeah, overall, I really love Atlanta, so I shouldn't bitch too much b/c at least we got to stay in this general area, but I miss the north side. DH was commuting 70 miles each way, so we HAD to move- that commute is pure torture.

This TJ's was really much nicer than my old one, but the WF's wasn't as good imo. My absolute favorite thing is the homemade tortillas that my old store sold, and they didn't have those. :( Plus, both stores were really crowded, especially for a Wed. afternoon! On the plus side, I got to see some of Midtown, which has some very cool things to offer. And I bought enough of our other favorites to last several weeks.

LarsMal
03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Yuck! That sucks...and one of the reasons I am dreading our upcoming move. I love not having to deal with traffic right now!

Maybe try a different day/time next trip and see if you can happen upon a less crowded time....maybe?!?!? wishful thinking?!?

frgsnlzrds
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I have no experience with atlanta, but I do feel your pain. Last summer we moved from chicago suburbs where I could go anywhere in fifteen minutes or less, to a rural area fifteen minutes from a small town. The hardest thing is being 70 miles from the nearest borders or b&n. I'm sorry you're so far away from things, too!

gatorsmom
03-05-2009, 12:53 AM
i hear ya. We moved from Houston, Texas where everything you could possibly want was close and convenient to an area in Minnesota which is still considered part of the twin cities and i STILL have to drive 45 minutes to the NEW Trader Joes (it hasn't even been open a year). The closest Whole foods is probably as far away as yours is. Sadly, because of this i rarely go. i just don't want to get hooked on a few items that I have to travel far away to get. You'll probably learn to live without too or learn to make things yourself.

TonFirst
03-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Which WF in Atlanta sells homemade tortillas?? I live in Cobb, and I do most of my shopping at Harry's - it's a Whole Foods, but the selection is SO much bigger than the WF stores here. The midtown WF is hipster-a-go-go - not many family-friendly products IMO.

You may be better off, traffic-wise, taking 85 north to 285, looping around the west side of the city (there is rarely any traffic on that side of 285), and hitting the Sandy Springs WF and Trader Joe's on Roswell Road. The connector is always a nightmare.

Hey - and is there still an active Georgia Gang yahoo group here?

JTsMom
03-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Duluth sells them- it's a really nice store. It blows away any other one I've ever been in. It even has a couple of sit down restaurants inside. At the seafood one, they'll let you pick a piece of fish from the seafood dept, bring it over, and they'll cook it for you! Anyway, they have regular, whole wheat and a spicy southwestern version, and they come in both large and small sizes. They don't always have every single variety, but if you time it right, you can sometimes get them when they are still warm. Yum!

I LOL @ Hipster a go-go btw. :D I felt decidedly uncool the entire trip, especially with DS yelling, "I hafta peeeeee!" every 30 seconds. I may have to experiment with some different stores. Closer definitely does not always equal faster around here. The worst part was this loong stretch of 85 that is totally torn up between Newnan and the PTC exit. I think Ronald McDonald must be running the project, b/c it is a nightmare.

I don't know of any GA yahoo groups. I've always meant to ask who else was in this area.

MmeSunny
03-05-2009, 09:59 PM
I feel your pain. I had to go to a conference at the Renaissance Hotel today and between Marta and parking etc, it took me 1.75 HOURS to get home. The ATL is crazy traffic wise. . . . I moved here from Minnesota, ironically. Much better traffic patterns there.

Plus I live in Clayton Co (hangs head low) so what I'm commuting to is absolute CRAP CITY. We really want to get out but we couldn't sell our house to save our lives right now.

JTsMom
03-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Yikes, I've heard the traffic is horrendous in that area! One of the first neighbors I met here commented on how the traffic situation is so much better on this side, but it doesn't do much good when you have to leave this side for everything!