PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a diaper bag newbie (Ju-Ju-Be)

Malloryn
03-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi everyone,

In reading many of these helpful threads and checking out some of the bags in stores, I really like the JJB Be Right Back or the Packabe. I would prefer a backpack style diaper bag but I'm not sure whether to choose the larger or smaller bag.

As a bit of background, I'm a hopeful adoptive mom-to-be (so obviously not only a diaper bag newbie!!). The baby we'll eventually adopt will be between 0 to 12 months old. We'll also need a bag to take things to daycare. So here are my questions regarding the two JJB bags:

-- Is the Be Right Back too big, or might that come in handy for daycare?
-- Is the convertible feature of the Packabe useful?
-- Can you still babywear if you have a backpack diaper bag, or would a shoulder style bag work better?

Thanks very much! :D

gatorsmom
03-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone,

In reading many of these helpful threads and checking out some of the bags in stores, I really like the JJB Be Right Back or the Packabe. I would prefer a backpack style diaper bag but I'm not sure whether to choose the larger or smaller bag.

As a bit of background, I'm a hopeful adoptive mom-to-be (so obviously not only a diaper bag newbie!!). The baby we'll eventually adopt will be between 0 to 12 months old. We'll also need a bag to take things to daycare. So here are my questions regarding the two JJB bags:

-- Is the Be Right Back too big, or might that come in handy for daycare?
-- Is the convertible feature of the Packabe useful?
-- Can you still babywear if you have a backpack diaper bag, or would a shoulder style bag work better?

Thanks very much! :D

I have a Packabe but have never seen a BeRightback, so I can't really compare the two. The Packabe is sufficient for me to hold one set of baby clothes, 4 diapers, a pack of wipes, my wallet, my tiny makeup bag, for my 3yo a pair of pants and tshirt, any and all medications, and some snacks and juice boxes. It's pretty good sized.

I find the convertible feature useful because I only wear it as a backpack but DH would rather have it on his shoulder. I don't think it would work well on the stroller because I have it packed so full, but it does have stroller loops for that purpose. I suppose if you don't pack as much as I do (mine is packed to the brim) it could work on the back of a sturdy stroller.

I have worn a baby in the Moby wrap or Baby Bjorn and worn the backpack. It's not something I would want to do everyday because I feel so tied up, but it is possible and that option has come in handy occasionally.

Not sure that helped. Welcome to the boards!

Malloryn
03-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and that info is very helpful! Since we don't know the age of the baby, I figured something like the diaper bag would be OK to buy ahead of time.

WatchingThemGrow
03-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Since you don't know the age, you might want to consider what kind of carrier might be more comfortable for you, then choose a bag for that.

Like, with a larger, older baby, we've found the Ergo carrier to be really comfortable. There is a bag that attaches to it, but I usually just stuff a diaper/a ziploc with a couple wipes in the front pouch.

You'll probably want a bag that's packed just for daycare, but I don't really know since I haven't BTDT. We have a bag dedicated to the sending each kid to the church nursery, and we take different stuff when we go somewhere as a family, I think - like we just have a skip hop changer in the bottom of the stroller.

On second thought, maybe I'm not qualified to answer this question since I'm not a "bag" person. I actually make DH approve all bags b/c I don't want to be stuck carrying them.

Congrats on your upcoming adoption and welcome!

MamaKath
03-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Welcome and congratulations!!! For daycare I would get something simple like the Lands End tote diaper bag and have it monogrammed with your last name. Then I would pick a carrier. Last I would worry about what bag you/dh would like to carry. The BeRightBack is more comfortable as a backpack than the Packabe; it is a true backpack. Packabe is a bit boxier. They are both great bags, with cute prints.